Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #406
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
CDMA does not allow for simultaneous voice and data. However other current LTE phones on Verizon et al use the CDMA for voice and the LTE for data so that both can be done at the same time. To do this they add an antenna.

Apple chose not to add an antenna to allow for this. they talked up how their antenna is able to switch back and forth between radios as if that was a plus and then mentioned not wanting to complicate the phones so they can have just one model for all carriers.

The GSM phones btw will also not be able to run Data on the LTE while using the telephony. In order to do both they will jump down to using 3g for the data and voice.

So adding the extra antenna to ALL models would have allowed for LTE data while talking on the phone for ALL carriers. but that would have effected their margin apparently more than they felt the need to add that capability.
Or it entailed other sacrifices to design and functionality that they were unwilling to accept. And I'm sure if they had added a second antenna and left out something else, you'd be whining about that, too.

Really no point in trying to please people like you. I can see why they don't bother.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #407
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
"people like you"

why dont you tell me more about "people like me"?
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #408
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"people like you"

why dont you tell me more about "people like me"?
Sure.

People who dislike Apple and its products—who have no intention of buying the next iPhone and who likely do not buy Apple products altogether—yet feel compelled to obsessively follow news about them, comment on them, and voice their displeasure about them as loudly as possible.

People who will automatically accuse Apple of the basest motives for every decision. Who invent conspiracy theories to explain every perceived fault.

People who will never be happy with what Apple produces, yet feel entitled to demand that Apple change everything about its formula to cater to their desires.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #409
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I fail to see where in Dulin's Books message there was anything denigrating Apple. It was mainly a technical explanation as to the limitations encountered when trying to send voice and data on a CDMA based network.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #410
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice
Please feel free to disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data,
providing you do so politely. Likewise, please address your criticisms to those opinions,
facts and data rather than the person. Refer to the MobileRead Guidelines, specifically the
full text of the very first item. When posting, your attention to the Guidelines is required.
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #411
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I fail to see where in Dulin's Books message there was anything denigrating Apple. It was mainly a technical explanation as to the limitations encountered when trying to send voice and data on a CDMA based network.
Then you aren't reading very carefully.

What likely happened is that Apple decided they really wanted the new form factor. Lighter and thinner took priority over everything else, including upgraded camera optics and, it seems, a dual antenna. I am as annoyed by this as anyone, but I'm not going to grovel for these people in order to expiate some perceived sin. I've already voiced my disapproval, several times.

Dulin and others want to impute this to pure avarice, as if the world's most valuable company deliberately withholds features to save a couple bucks on every unit. You have to be pretty naïve to read that as anything but denigrating. Besides, he has been sniggering elsewhere in this thread for a while now.

Last edited by holymadness; 09-14-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #412
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

because its a really funny line. can't you see that? Phil Shiller is a marketing guy and he almost couldn't keep a straight face when he said. and he probably wrote it.

the camera optics are not upgraded. they are, I believe, the same as in the last camera for the 4s. the only change seems to be the sapphire crystal cover. 'basest of motive'? yes i guess if you consider margin and profit the basest of motives then thats what i did. i do not. it is a motive and yes I believe it was for that reason. if you dont believe they check their profit margin at every step of the way you are deluded. show me where i was loudly voicing my displeasure? you asked a question which I answered
Old 09-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #413
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Dulin and others want to impute this to pure avarice, as if the world's most valuable company deliberately withholds features to save a couple bucks on every unit.

And they got to be the world's most valuable company, how? And, by the way, I have a bridge for sale, if you're interested.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #414
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
because its a really funny line. can't you see that? Phil Shiller is a marketing guy and he almost couldn't keep a straight face when he said. and he probably wrote it.
Sure, it was a joke. Which you repeated and riffed on like it was serious. The guy who asked you, "Did he really say that??" certainly thought Schiller was being literal based on the way you presented it.
Quote:
the camera optics are not upgraded. they are, I believe, the same as in the last camera for the 4s. the only change seems to be the sapphire crystal cover.
Please read what I wrote carefully. I said the camera was not upgraded.
Quote:
'basest of motive'? yes i guess if you consider margin and profit the basest of motives then thats what i did. i do not. it is a motive and yes I believe it was for that reason. if you dont believe they check their profit margin at every step of the way you are deluded. show me where i was loudly voicing my displeasure? you asked a question which I answered
Apple pads its profit margin by increasing the price, not by handicapping its own products in order to save money on components. So your answer was not a very good one. It also happened to be the least generous explanation possible.

But forgive me if I unfairly lumped you in with certain Android crusaders in this thread. It is tiring keeping up.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #415
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice
Any more of this, and I'll close the thread.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #416
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Incidentally, there are already two antennae in the iPhone 5 (split to the top and the bottom to avoid the 'death grip' issue) so it's a third antenna that they would have needed to add.

Also, this is an interesting take on why NFC wasn't included:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/14/iphone-5-nfc/

Quote:
It turns out that getting N.F.C. to work right with the new design of the iPhone wasn’t even possible.

Why not? Nokia’s new Lumia 920 smartphone supports N.F.C., and some Android smartphones do as well. The explanation is actually quite simple. The iPhone 5’s all-aluminum-and-glass body would block information from being transmitted to a terminal, according to Will Strauss, an analyst of Forward Concepts, a research firm that follows digital signal processing and chips.
Graham
Old 09-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #417
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
Please read what I wrote carefully. I said the camera was not upgraded.
oh right, i misread that
Old 09-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #418
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
LOL
If you think Apple went to market with massive supply shortages, you know nothing either about business or Apple. The company is run by very intelligent people. Much smarter than you. They will have spent the last 12 months ensuring that their supply is proportionate to expected demand. Which is huge.

But we already knew that.
I don't know if they "went to market with massive supply shortages", but it is a VERY common practice to change the "amount left in stock" number in the database so that it appears that whatever you're selling is out of stock. This tends to drive demand, since what is scarce is perceived to be more valuable. It's a marketing ploy that I have seen done at many of the different companies I have done work for over the years. While it's true that I have never worked with companies the size of Apple, I have worked with other fairly large companies that sell online, and they have ALL done this to build hype for a product that they are pushing to sell.

All that being said, I don't know that this is what Apple is doing. It could be a supply problem, or it could be that millions of people got up in the middle of the night to buy a phone. Normally I would say that the "getting up in the middle of the night" idea would be ludicrous, but...this is Apple. People stand in line for days to buy their stuff. So...it could be that they really did sell millions in the first hour.

By the way...I really don't care one way or another about the iPhone, or Apple products in general. I own a Mac laptop, a PC, an Android phone, and bought my daughter an iPad. Please don't try to paint me as "Apple hater" or "Android fanboi" or anything of the sort.

Shari
Old 09-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #419
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
What likely happened is that Apple decided they really wanted the new form factor. Lighter and thinner took priority over everything else, including upgraded camera optics and, it seems, a dual antenna.
So you are agreeing that apple favour form over function. No surprises here.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #420
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
So you are agreeing that apple favour form over function. No surprises here.
Apple embraces modernist design principles which state that form is inseparable from function. Read a book about Walter Gropius or Mies van der Rohe. It is no coincidence that Jony Ive's greatest influence is Dieter Rams.
Closed Thread