Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
mjm
mjm began at the beginning.

Device: non
notion ink adam

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet (I have been following this for a while), I didn't see any posts about it here but it looks like it could be a viable and arguably better alternative than the iPad if you are in fact considering buying an iPad as an ebook reader.

It seems to address quite a few of the caveats that people (me in particular) have with the iPad as a "tablet" and as an ebook reader while not being unattractively designed.

Slashgear hand on video

Company website with specs etc
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
It does seem very promising and if they can deliver on time and app support for android on tablets matches expectations then its definitely a device I will consider.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
omoplata
omoplata began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry if I"m necroposting, LOL. I have an Adam that has a Pixel Qi screen that I bought second (maybe third) hand, and I use it mainly as an e-reader. I find it to be quite satisfactory. But this is the only Android tablet I've owned, so I really can't compare it with anything else.

I specially like the Pixel Qi screen, which is usable outside in the sunlight. Also, with the Adobe Reader for Android (which is free btw) I can annotate pdfs, and when I transfer it to the computer, they'll still be there. Also there are many Android apps that one can play around with.

One thing I don't like is the battery life. I have to typically charge it once or twice a day, which is annoying. I've never owned a dedicated e-reader with e-ink display, but I hear they are significantly better in this department. Also the battery is not replaceable. If it ever goes bad, it looks like I'll have to disassemble the device and replace the battery cells: that is, if I can even find the correct type of battery cell in the first place.

Many people were excited about this device, but it looks like they were disappointed when it came out, because of some promised features which were not delivered (replaceable battery, a trackpad etc.) and some initial bugs in the Android ROMs. Some people also didn't like the resolution and the color of the Pixel Qi displays (to me this is not a problem because ability to read it in sunlight make that up for me. Watching HD videos is not what I bought it for). The bugs seem to have been worked out now, and there are several different versions of Android ROMs available for this device.

Notion Ink was talking about releasing an Adam II tablet, with a TI OMAP processor which has an open architecture as opposed to the Nvidia Tegra processor used in Adam I. I don't know much about computer hardware, but I guess this means that porting of Meego or the new Ubuntu Tablet operating systems into Adam II by the respective developer communities might have been possible. The stock release was going to be Android. I have a Nokia N900 phone which has a TI OMAP processor, and I know that some people were running Ubuntu on it (command line only though). Adam II was scheduled to be released in December 2012, but I haven't heard any news lately. The blogs by the developers don't have anything new in a long time, and the official forums seem to have frozen. So maybe Notion Ink went bankrupt, or decided that Adam II is not profitable and decided to pocket the cash and disappear.
omoplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
The only thing good about the Adam is the screen. Rest all is crap. or they chose to let it crap-out.
They should have caught hold of Nvidia's proverbial and made them supply proper drivers. But didnt. Tegra 2 sucks its a power guzzling demon.
And the company lacks any talent other than user level java.

They are still trying to work on bringing ICS to Adam, and half the features dont work.
And this work is done more by open source hackers rather than by their own people.

For this reason, i wont try to buy an Adam2 unless its awesomer than awesome. And would advice same to most others too.

And for the same reason concurring with Torvalds, i wont touch an NVidia Tegra device..FuNvidia..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote