Notices

Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #16
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairbv View Post
what kind of screen is it? ... is it some kind of eink or what? I see them on alibaba and taobao for cheaper than the hanlin...
Regular LCD. There are a few clues in the specs, but the major one is "16 shades of grey". AFAIK, no e-ink displays are capable of more than 8 shades.
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdini View Post
Regular LCD. There are a few clues in the specs, but the major one is "16 shades of grey". AFAIK, no e-ink displays are capable of more than 8 shades.
The iLiad does 16 just fine. But I do believe it is not e-Ink anyway.

dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2008, 06:37 AM   #18
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

dale
http://www.irextechnologies.com/products/technology

They must be very smart liars then, as they say it on their site and people can't see the difference over real e-ink!
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

dale
The iLiad uses an eInk screen made by PVI, just as all other eInk reader manufacturers do. Where it differs from the others - and the reason it supports 16 grey-scales - is that they use a different controller. It's the controller that determines the number of grey-scales, rather than the screen itself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
http://www.irextechnologies.com/products/technology

They must be very smart liars then, as they say it on their site and people can't see the difference over real e-ink!
I see my comment was confusing. iRex iLiad is definitely e-ink and it is definitely 16 levels as they have a custom controller. My reference to non-e-ink was will regard to the original topic, not the iLiad.

Dale
Advert
Old 01-12-2008, 02:06 AM   #21
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Quote:
I see my comment was confusing. iRex iLiad is definitely e-ink and it is definitely 16 levels as they have a custom controller. My reference to non-e-ink was will regard to the original topic, not the iLiad.

Dale
OK, sorry.

Your message was confusing, specially to a non-native English speaker with very inaccurate English like me
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #22
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
OK, sorry.

Your message was confusing, specially to a non-native English speaker with very inaccurate English like me
It's not just you Even I misunderstood, & I'm a native english speaker
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's not just you Even I misunderstood, & I'm a native english speaker
It was confusing to me also when I read it later Of course I knew what I meant to say.

Dale
Old 07-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #24
Selador
Selador began at the beginning.

Device: None
I just got one by accident (?) from an Ectaco seller on eBay while wanting to buy a Jetbook. The whole thing was in Chinese at first, but I finally managed to put it into English.

I'm wondering, since you guys seem to know quite a bit about all this, do you think I should keep this one, or should I complain and ask for an original Jetbook? In other words, which one is better?
Selador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selador View Post
I just got one by accident (?) from an Ectaco seller on eBay while wanting to buy a Jetbook. The whole thing was in Chinese at first, but I finally managed to put it into English.

I'm wondering, since you guys seem to know quite a bit about all this, do you think I should keep this one, or should I complain and ask for an original Jetbook? In other words, which one is better?
If you want to read ebooks on it, i would demand a jetbook. At the very least, a refund. I've used one of these, and I am quite sure that you're better off with the jetbook.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #26
Selador
Selador began at the beginning.

Device: None
I think so too. I just read your thread on the M218A and saw that you weren't too pleased with it, and that it had several issues.

I'll see what I can do then, thanks for your answer.
Selador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think so too. I just read your thread on the M218A and saw that you weren't too pleased with it, and that it had several issues.

I'll see what I can do then, thanks for your answer.
You might be able to just update the firmware.

Dale
Old 07-03-2009, 07:10 AM   #28
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
You might be able to just update the firmware.

Dale
It can't be done. I tried.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #29
manifestor
Connoisseur
manifestor began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Not really...

You can't read on a regular LCD without backlight. This one uses a reflective monochrome display without backlight, which looks like the black-and-white display used on the older Palm PDAs, but with much higher resolution and contrast.

Technically it's still LCD, but not exactly the same thing we use on our laptop computers.

Last edited by manifestor; 07-06-2009 at 02:47 PM.
manifestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #30
danielrv
danielrv began at the beginning.

Device: m218b
How to put in english?

Quote:

Hi Mate,

I bought one on ebay the m218b, and is in chinese. I've tried to upgrade the firmware using the ectaco one, but after the process is finished when i turn on the device i have a lovely grainy screen with a black bar on the right and nothing happens. My email is danielrrv@gmail.com. Cheers
danielrv is offline   Reply With Quote