Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Borders: Start looking for other jobs

More ominous portents from an author with connections:

http://www.briankeene.com/?p=5330

I've also been getting emails from them like crazy since the New Year. Today I got one saying I'd "earned $3.15 in Borders Bucks" which were good until 1/31. Later in the mail it mentioned it was my balance as of 12/24 (I spent it before the New Year"

So it looks like they're doing anything they can to lure people in to the stores. Including rolling December Borders Bucks over thru January . But also (deceptively?) telling people they have Borders Bucks they already used

I hope they pull it out somehow, but it does not seem likely.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Has the Wall Street Journal or CNBC said anything on this matter?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I wouldn't place much stock in the author's blog.

I've never heard of a company telling employees "things are bad, start looking for work," no matter how dire the situation. They could be prepping to lay off half the company and they'd still say "things are looking up!"

It's unlikely Borders would go straight to Chapter 7 anyway, 11 (reorg) seems much more likely, and they'll need staff to try and rebuild their business.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
JP36
Enthusiast
JP36 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 2200, Pocketbook IQ 701, Sony PRS350
From my little experience when a company or store is going down no one knows except those that absolutely need to and they almost never tell anyone especially just 'any' employee. No store/manager/etc wants their people looking for work, having a bad attitude, or not showing up because they aren't going to have a job in a month/week whatever.
JP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
There is a decent story here too dated for Dec 31, 2010:

http://www.futureofcapitalism.com/20...ancial-trouble

Basically over the past decade all these places that got advertising dollars from Borders have been trying to use editorials to get people to buy the devalued stock. But when a stock is devalued or "beaten-down", there is a reason for it. This may be the last hurrah unless Borders steps up and really kicks it into the digital age.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The only time I've ever heard of a place telling employees to start looking for work is after it has been announced that they were closing. Border's hasn't done that.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote