Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
The major problem, being a Windows user is the limited functionality in the Beta Desktop Client. Having to have each book open as opposed to just being able to share a folder is a pain. Even having the ability to batch the sharing would do, but is not there yet.
The Mac client works the same way. I suggest you use calibre which now includes a content server with specific support for Stanza. On your iPod you can see all of the ePub books that you have in the calibre catalog.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #62
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The Mac client works the same way. I suggest you use calibre which now includes a content server with specific support for Stanza. On your iPod you can see all of the ePub books that you have in the calibre catalog.

BOb
I'll look into it. The main Problem I have is that Most of my Books are currently in a mixture of formats like mobi, txt, rtf, rtc, with almost none in ePub.

While Calibre can, I know convert them to ePub, I'm a little leery of adding ANOTHER format to the mix.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #63
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
While Calibre can, I know convert them to ePub, I'm a little leery of adding ANOTHER format to the mix.
You do realize when you use Stanza desktop and d/l the file to your iPod Stanza PC is converting it to ePub on the fly?

BOb
Old 11-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #64
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
You do realize when you use Stanza desktop and d/l the file to your iPod Stanza PC is converting it to ePub on the fly?

BOb
Hmm. Didn't know that, but then again, I'm still playing around with it.

The Question I have is not converting ePub as much as storing another Format on my computer, as I understand Calibre will do.

Whilst not a big deal, I do tend to be a bit anal about how and where I store My books, so I'll probably play around with Calibre a bit when I get a little free time.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:49 PM   #65
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The Question I have is not converting ePub as much as storing another Format on my computer, as I understand Calibre will do.

Whilst not a big deal, I do tend to be a bit anal about how and where I store My books, so I'll probably play around with Calibre a bit when I get a little free time.
Me too.. well I say I'm ADHD about my file system and desktop. But, as far as I am concerned the calibre files are "app data" not files I manage so it doesn't bother me. Also, you only need to convert to ePub the books you want to move to the Touch/Phone... then you can always delete them afterwards.

I was just offering an alternative... Stanza is fine if you want to open a bunch of files and do this. However, Stanza will not be a free beta forever where calibre will.

BOb
Advert
Old 11-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #66
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Me too.. well I say I'm ADHD about my file system and desktop. But, as far as I am concerned the calibre files are "app data" not files I manage so it doesn't bother me. Also, you only need to convert to ePub the books you want to move to the Touch/Phone... then you can always delete them afterwards.

I was just offering an alternative... Stanza is fine if you want to open a bunch of files and do this. However, Stanza will not be a free beta forever where calibre will.

BOb
Indeed

And I appreciate you suggestion.

Guess, I'm just feeling a little lazy about playing around with a new piece of software as I've not really ever used Calibre, and the few times I'd poked around in it was when it was still in its infancy.

Its come a very long way since then.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:21 PM   #67
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I didn't have any problems with downloading Stanza to my iPhone... I was able to successfully download a couple of books from BooksOnBoard (they have an iPhone-specific homepage that automatically pops up on my iPhone, which is cool). I can't get any of the other sites to work yet.
alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 AM   #68
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Well, Managed to get Calibre Webserver to work, with a few test files (90). It took a little bit of tinkering and hitting myself on the head for missing something so obvious a few times to get it working consistently.

The main problem I'm running into is that Stanza is crashing a lot, especially when trying to download books. Sometimes, its on the first book, others its on the 4th or 5th one, but the only thing certain is that its going to crash.

I've only been using the current release, so I'm wondering whether it was this crash prone earlier, or is it just this release.

Also, has anyone made use of the Bookshelf App. Is it more stable and offering an easier way to get a lot of books on and off? I; don't mind spending alittle money for something that I'll use a lot but want a few opinions first.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:45 AM   #69
dnunn0
dnunn0 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone / Stanza
I've downloaded about 100 books into Stanza, most through the iPhone direct connect, but a considerable number through the Windows client.

The only book I've had a problem with was:
Fifteen Thousand Useful Phrases
Though I haven't figured out why (I think maybe it has 15000 chapters or something).
dnunn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #70
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
I've downloaded dozens of books via stanza and calibre to an iPod Touch and have not had one problem with the latest version of Stanza. I wonder if its related to the iPhone/iPod Touch firmware version? 2.1 here.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #71
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
Firmware 2.0.2 without any problems.
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, feedbooks, iphone, ipod touch, lexcycle, stanza