Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #61
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Thought i will grab one if Amazon puts it up for sale; no luck though; seems they have pulled it out.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:38 AM   #62
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Staples.ca just went out of stock in the last half-hour or so (which was when it *was* in stock and I placed an order - guess it'll be here Tuesday). Even with no further support from HP, and even if they close the WebOS store (though they say they're keeping that open, at least for a while), and even with its faults (lag on heavy javascript [apparently], crappy Skype app, weighing 1.6lbs, etc.) it'll still be better than any other tablet (which would only be 7" ones) available at those price points for the next couple of years...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #63
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I honestly did not experience any lag or software issue AFTER I applied the firmware upgrade. The downside was the lack of apps.

HP is not planning to stop marketing or using webOs, at least not at this moment. I found webOs an excellent operating system for an 10 inch tablet. I own two iPads and I believe is better than iOs. I truly like webOs.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #64
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Holy cr¥¥. Staples had it for $49 after sale and instant rebate. Out of stock of course.

I guess they found the sweet spot.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #65
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Holy cr¥¥. Staples had it for $49 after sale and instant rebate. Out of stock of course.

I guess they found the sweet spot.
Damn. No such option when I ordered around 3am. Difference between the Canadian and US sites?
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #66
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Um wait a sec, there's no Netflix app for touchpad! What? No wonder it died an early death. Isn't Netflix standard equipment, like FM radio and cup holders?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #67
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Um wait a sec, there's no Netflix app for touchpad! What? No wonder it died an early death. Isn't Netflix standard equipment, like FM radio and cup holders?
Nope. It came to Android world (phones, too) a couple of months ago. May, if I am not mistaken.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #68
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Rumors of a price drop from UK..Keeping my fingers crossed this time around!!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/22/h...uk-price-drop/

Last edited by rhari79; 08-22-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: changed
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #69
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Not really. It's more or less a recent add on for Android, and even still, it is limited to what devices can use it. Until a few weeks ago, only 9 android devices were supported. They bumped that number up to 24, but that still leaves many devices out in the dark. If you're one of the ones who don't have a supported device, netflix doesn't even show up for you in the marketplace.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #70
Barty
doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Not really. It's more or less a recent add on for Android, and even still, it is limited to what devices can use it. Until a few weeks ago, only 9 android devices were supported. They bumped that number up to 24, but that still leaves many devices out in the dark. If you're one of the ones who don't have a supported device, netflix doesn't even show up for you in the marketplace.
Okay, I just assume that all the big apps are on android too.

I think this is why consumers aren't being dumb sheeple for choosing the iPad. While it's true that you end up using just a handful of apps every day, having a huge app store is a very Good Thing. A large user and dev base mean the big marquee apps are more likely to be available for your platorm first. I don't have the source, but I remember seeing a study showing iOS users are more willing to pay for apps than android users. Not just more users, but more customers. That means more devs. Competition leads to more choices and better quality.

Take me. I do mainly 3 things on my iPad: web, google rss, and comics. I get a lot of choices of apps for each, and while many of them are me-too apps, there are also really terrific stand outs that have specific features I want. I use icab web because it has extensions and I can view web pages in white on black text. I use river of news because it lets me read rss feeds in a continuous scroll. Zeal comic and the comics apps from DC etc are better than anything I've seen on the PC. There are also a bunch of really nice easy to use photo apps I wish I had in Windows. I can find some of this on android no doubt, but I have a feeling they'll not be quite as good or do what I need, and having USB or SD card doesn't make up for it.

When people say now that ______ is on android, no reason to buy the iPad, it reminds me when Mac users say now that I can play Quake/medal of honor/whatever, Mac's just as good for gaming as PC. Uh, no.

I do think android will catch up and surpass iOS eventually, but not yet.

Last edited by Barty; 08-24-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #71
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
and the first Tablet actually was approved!
http://thisismynext.com/2011/08/24/v...oid-hulu-plus/

Quote:
That makes today’s news that the Vizio 8 is now Hulu Plus-ready particularly interesting, since it’s the very first Android tablet to get Hulu’s seal of approval (albeit a tablet on Android 2.3, not Honeycomb).
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #72
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
I use river of news
What is "river of news"?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #73
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
What is "river of news"?
A naughty fellow would use this on you.

I'm, of course, nice.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #74
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
A naughty fellow would use this on you.

I'm, of course, nice.
Ahh. An app. Do you like Reeder? I like that for my iPod.

And thank you for the http://lmgtfy.com/ link. That will come in handy.

When you said River of News I thought you meant this.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #75
Barty
doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Ahh. An app. Do you like Reeder? I like that for my iPod.
Yes, it's nicer on the iPad, of course. Very nice design.

I just prefer the way river of news works.

As I said, choices.

Tags
hp touchpad