Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
nannye
nannye began at the beginning.

Device: sony e reader
Help! My 650 touch is showing remnants of the previous page

All of the sudden, today when reading my ebook, the text from the previous page is appearing lightly shadowed on the next page. It is very annoying and making it impossible to read!

Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening or what to do about it? I did turn it completely off and then on again and it is now working fine, but could this be an underlining problem, that might cause problems in the future?
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Contact customer support.

I had/have the same problem. As a workaround go one page forward then one page back.

I contacted Sony support and they asked me for a picture. Unfortunately the problem didn't show up since then. It isn't related to battery as it shows up when full or half full.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

This happened to my 950 one time. The ghosting was so bad that I could not easily read the text and in my case paging forward then back had no effect as every subsequent page was horribly ghosted. Don't bother with Sony's worthless CS except as a last effort.

What I did was go to the Home screen, select Settings tab, and select Device Shutdown. After the device shut down, I turned it back on and have had no more issues.

Shutting down the device is equivalent to restarting a PC. The device has to restart when turned back on and hopefully this will clear away the glitch that caused the problem. If this fails try resetting, although Sony's concept of resetting is not intuitive so read the manual.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-06-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yes, I've occasionally had this happen and just shutting down, pause, restart seems to fix it fine.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
This happened to my 950 one time. The ghosting was so bad that I could not easily read the text and in my case paging forward then back had no effect as every subsequent page was horribly ghosted. Don't bother with Sony's worthless CS except as a last effort.

What I did was go to the Home screen, select Settings tab, and select Device Shutdown. After the device shut down, I turned it back on and have had no more issues.

Shutting down the device is equivelent to restarting a PC. The device has to restart when turned back on and hopefully this will clear away the glitch that caued the problem. If this fails try resetting, although Sony's concept of resetting is not intuitive so read the manual.
Happened with my 650 and doing the Device Shutdown (as suggested by jswinden) seemed to totally cure it.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
I have had this happen on my 350 and like everyone else turning it off and restarting fixed it. I think the only times I had it happen is when I skimmed through a book not when I use regular page turns.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Even under optimum conditions I think there will always be a really slight ghost of the previous page. If I really look closely I can always see a faint "negative" of the previous page's text. I think this is because some readers, like the Sony, don't do the complete black -> complete white -> display text when each page is turned, in order to make the page turning snappier. On the kobo, which does do this, the page turning is very slow, but there is zero ghosting.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Oh, that's good to know about the restart. I've always reset my 350 when that happens, but restarting would be easier.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #9
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
This happened to me several times on a 650. Even after reset, I would get the ghosting again after a few days. Brought the 650 back and bought a 950 during the Sony sale.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Don't bother with Sony's worthless CS except as a last effort.
If you haven't had contact with CS for a while, you might be pleasantly surprised with their current state (or maybe I just got lucky). I worked with them through email last week and they were falling all over themselves to please me, thanking me for my loyalty to Sony, and generally channeling Kindle CS awesomeness. I had to double-check that I was actually dealing with Sony.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
Hopefully a firmware update will fix this.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My 650 isn't ghosting. I've never had to reset it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waba View Post
Hopefully a firmware update will fix this.
Sony and firmware updates...
Old 12-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
SkyDream
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My 650 isn't ghosting. I've never had to reset it.
Lucky one.
Never had to reset as page forward/backward removes ghosting.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpw View Post
Even under optimum conditions I think there will always be a really slight ghost of the previous page. If I really look closely I can always see a faint "negative" of the previous page's text. I think this is because some readers, like the Sony, don't do the complete black -> complete white -> display text when each page is turned, in order to make the page turning snappier. On the kobo, which does do this, the page turning is very slow, but there is zero ghosting.
True, there is always a slight amount of ghosting and it is usually barely noticeable. However, in these particular incidents described in this thread the term "ghosting" is probably better stated as "artifacts from multiple pages." Technically it is ghosting, but it is so bad that it looks like you have combined two pages together where the top page is nearly transparent so that much of the bottom page is visible. It is uber bad, but apparently seldom occurs.

@trekchick, I had to use Sony CS within the past month and they were not only unhelpful but downright rude when they discovered I bought my 950 at Best Buy rather than directly from Sony. Fortunately I solved my own problem. I'm glad they were able to help you, but so far I haven't been so lucky.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-09-2010 at 01:38 PM.