Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Question Light leaking from peeling Kobo Aura One (Pics incl.)

I've started to notice light leaking between the display pane and the frame here and there around my KA1. I can press on the display edge to stop the light leak, which makes a tiny crinkling sound. I suspect that the light blocking tape around the display is drying out and losing its stick. Is this an easy fix? I've tried to take another broken KA1 apart before, and those displays are stuck on tight. Once I separate the seal, where do I get new tape? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cootey; 10-19-2019 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Updated with pics
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know that early Clara HDs had light leak issues, but I can't find the thread where people fixed it. Can anybody recall?
Advert
Old 10-19-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Light leaking from KA1

What started as a small problem got bad in a big hurry. Now the front face is peeling up all over. Does anybody know of a fix for this‽

Last edited by Cootey; 10-19-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I know that early Clara HDs had light leak issues, but I can't find the thread where people fixed it. Can anybody recall?
I found one of the threads that mentions the light leak on the Clara and a “fix”. (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=309156) Electrical tape around the edge will be a terrible kludge, and the problem has gone beyond just pressing it down again. Anybody know of a way to replace that double sticky tape? From experimenting with other Kobos, I know the black tape is fairly thin and all in one piece—an appliqué that was likely stamped during manufacturing. Any ideas how I can replace it? So far searching online yields complaints from the initial Clara leak problems, but not solutions on how to replace the tape.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I'm not sure how much a lip there is around the edge of the KA1 where the face sits in the rest of the device, but perhaps using a liquid adhesive such as gorilla glue could do the trick? You'd need to be careful with the amount used so it doesn't spill over, and obviously it'd make opening the KA1 a good bit harder but that's generally not what you wanna do with ereaders.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Light leaking from KA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I'm not sure how much a lip there is around the edge of the KA1 where the face sits in the rest of the device, but perhaps using a liquid adhesive such as gorilla glue could do the trick? You'd need to be careful with the amount used so it doesn't spill over, and obviously it'd make opening the KA1 a good bit harder but that's generally not what you wanna do with ereaders.

I’ve honestly contemplated that. I have a disposable brush and the Gorilla glue. I am reserving that solution as a last resort since it is unlikely I can reopen the Kobo after that! I’ve found plenty of black double-sides sticky tape of various widths on Amazon, but I don’t want to reinvent the wheel if somebody’s already figured out proper thickness, pitfalls, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Cootey; 10-20-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #7
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Am I really the first person who’s experienced the KA1 faceplate peeling off the frame since the double-sticky tape is losing adhesion? I’m not used to so much silence on a topic here.

I haven’t reached out to Kobo because my KA1 is long out of warranty, but I’d like to know if there’s an official solution. If I do reach out, I’ll post what they tell me here. Maybe somebody else can benefit.

As for using Gorilla glue, MGlitch, I’ve been thinking that might only temporarily solve the problem because as the double-sided tape loses its adhesion under the gorilla glue elsewhere, there might be new areas of peeling, light leaking which I can’t fix since the Gorilla glue won’t let me reopen the case. I’m thinking a replacement of the tape is truly the best solution.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #8
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. My H2O's bezel is raised a bit on one side, but that's because I opened it up, not because of a defect. Are you sure the Aura One hasn't been kept in an environment that would cause the glue to dry out?
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:25 PM   #9
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. My H2O's bezel is raised a bit on one side, but that's because I opened it up, not because of a defect. Are you sure the Aura One hasn't been kept in an environment that would cause the glue to dry out?

Yes, I take excellent care of my devices and protect them. In fact, it’s the protection that has caused this problem.

I’ve just discovered a moment ago that my third-party Moku case is ever so slightly less wide than the KA1. It’s too snug. This has put pressure on my KA1 for years and has ultimately curved it! You can imagine how disappointed I am. So my ereader is no longer in the case, but I still have a peeling problem.

I’m going to store my KA1 in the case backwards at night to gently curve it back in the other direction. I’ve been wondering why there was a perfectly straight hairline crack above the USB port. All this time my case was damaging my KA1 while I thought it was protecting it. Maybe if if can straighten the curve, the plastic plane will stop peeling upward. It wasn’t losing stick. It was being forced free.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:29 PM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok I am gonna preface this by saying I am sorry your KA1 is damaged.

But I can not help but giggle a little that the case is what did it in when so many here insist a case is the near mandatory to prevent your ereader from being damaged in a similar fashion.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:28 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Fellow neoprene sleeve users, rise up!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:09 PM   #12
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Onward naked army!!
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:01 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Onward naked army!!
My Forma looks better naked
Old 11-01-2019, 05:12 AM   #14
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Yeah, you guys aren’t helping. 😝

Any suggestions on how to unwarp it? I’ve put it by the gaslit fireplace under a ten pound weight—not close enough to heat up, but be warmed. I’m not noticing a change, though if this took 18 months or more to get like this (actually, I can’t remember when I bought the case), it won’t change overnight. If I take it apart and bend the pieces back individually, it will probably work better, unless the screen itself is warped. Then I’m back to getting the right black sticky tape for it as discussed above.

I’ve got to do something. Pressing the front pane back into place causes random commands across the screen. 🙄
Old 11-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #15
MGlitch
Wizard

Ah sorry thought you’d resolved the issue

Honestly if there’s a hairline crack already and pressing the front pane back on without you touching the screen is causing issues the warping may have done some other damage. You’re right this won’t change overnight. I’m not even sure if it’s something that would change in time given the way the case put pressure on the KA1 and the limits to reversing that.

If the screen is warped you’re looking at getting a broken KA1 with functioning screen and salvaging the parts. It’s not likely you’ll get it to bend back in a way that doesn’t introduce further damage even if it’s not apparent right away. There would almost certainly be micro cracks in the substrate making it even more susceptible to major cracks with any fall or some pressure.

So it’s down to pricing a KA1 on eBay where the battery has gone or something else which doesn’t damage the screen or anything else that’s bent and your ability to reassemble it. There are various guides you can find I’m sure.