Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
derball2008
derball2008 doesn't litterderball2008 doesn't litter

Device: none
Manga Reader for Onyx devices (Android)

Hi there,

can anyone recommend a manga reader for Onyx Android devices? I am specifically talking about the M96. I tried the Mango App, but that doesn't work well with the "touchscreen" of the M96. The Manga Rock reader I couldn't install because it says the deviced is incompatible and I couldn't find any trustable .apks.

Do you have any recommendations for a manga reader for me?

Thanks
derball2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
EricArcadia
Connoisseur
EricArcadia began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 (2013), Nook Glowlight with Simple Touch
For my Manga's I use Perfect Viewer. It works pretty well once you have it configured, it's going to take some time though to process the SD card, and when you pick your default folder it doesn't show the name, but rather the date. Best thing to do there is to have your manga folder be the first or last folder in your SD card. My manga folder is labeled 漫画 Manga, so it shows up last. Once I'm in there I can pick which manga series I want to be read, and from there it works pretty great.

Last edited by EricArcadia; 07-20-2014 at 02:23 PM.
EricArcadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I use Open Comic Reader on T68, it can be configured to remove most animations.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
EricArcadia
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
I use Open Comic Reader on T68, it can be configured to remove most animations.
I just tried out that manga reader, and it's actually pretty good. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:18 AM   #5
EricArcadia
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by derball2008 View Post
Hi there,

can anyone recommend a manga reader for Onyx Android devices? I am specifically talking about the M96. I tried the Mango App, but that doesn't work well with the "touchscreen" of the M96. The Manga Rock reader I couldn't install because it says the deviced is incompatible and I couldn't find any trustable .apks.

Do you have any recommendations for a manga reader for me?

Thanks

After using some manga readers, I now stick with ComicRack, and Komik Reader. Those two are the best comic readers I've used hands down, especially ComicRack. Both very good comic readers.
Advert
Old 08-22-2014, 02:56 AM   #6
un lecteur
un lecteur doesn't litterun lecteur doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox T-68
I use perfect reader, I've installed full!screen to be able to use the app in full screen, you need to have your device rooted to run this app.
ComicRack seems quite interesting, I'll try it.
un lecteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
EricArcadia
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by un lecteur View Post
I use perfect reader, I've installed full!screen to be able to use the app in full screen, you need to have your device rooted to run this app.
ComicRack seems quite interesting, I'll try it.
I've used Perfect reader as well, and have it on my T68, but the issue I had with it was how it organized my mangas. It didn't show the name of the folder, or file before I would open it. So I switched over to Open Comic Reader, but with some files that had over 100 pages in it, it wouldn't let me read through them without turning off my device. It wasn't too bad as I was now able to see what I was opening, but I still was a bit dissatisfied. Then I tried to see if I could find any app that can read graphic novels that are zipped or compressed, and the like, thus I found Komik and ComicRack.

Komik is great with how well it organizes my mangas, shows the name of the series, along with the thumbnail of all the mangas within the series, and a progress percent to let you know how far your in a manga, or if you completed it. Then it has a nice vertical stripe that shows thumbnails of the pages you can click to go to, which shows up when you tap the screen. Buttons don't work, but you swipe instead to navigate when your reading.

Now, when it comes to ComicRack, it nicely shows the thumbnails with the names as well, so I can again see what I'm clicking on. Gives you options to organize how you get your books by either searching for them through entering in the series name on the search bar, or by clicking on the panel with options of organizing the books by year, folders, series, or simple show all the comics. I find it easier for myself to choose to get to my books by using the folder grouping option. You have options to choose with how you can view your mangas by either having it have the cover display, or the cover with details for example. When your reading you can tap, or press the option button for the option of having a horizontal stripe that has the thumbnails or the pages you can click to. You can use buttons on this as well when reading, but it has to be the left/right buttons on the silver circular button. Swiping and pressing left or right works as well for navigating through mangas. Besides that there are other options, but I find it works very well. So both Komik and ComicRack are the best graphic novel readers I've found besides Perfect viewer and Open Comic Reader.