Old 03-15-2016, 06:26 AM   #1
erjcan
erjcan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How to delete features from Calibre and add them back[reverse engineering]

Hi , i want to delete all advanced features from Calibre source code

then be able to launch it and see something like this:

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

That is, no features - just plain basic add book. Then i want to add code and see how it connects to what.

I want to learn the control flow and architecture.

UPDATE: sorry , i made it to 590x590 pixels.

here is the image:

Last edited by erjcan; 03-15-2016 at 07:20 AM.
erjcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:39 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

erjcan:
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:12 AM   #4
erjcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
thanks, i did read it, now asking if somebody has tried my approach?
Old 03-16-2016, 12:23 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And if they did, what would that tell you?

The manual does clearly state that the gui is initialized in src/calibre/gui2/main.py and src/calibre/gui2/ui.py
So... go explore there.
Advert
Old 03-17-2016, 04:18 AM   #6
erjcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And if they did, what would that tell you?

The manual does clearly state that the gui is initialized in src/calibre/gui2/main.py and src/calibre/gui2/ui.py
So... go explore there.
i would follow up with them, reach them and ask how they started. anyways.

not much help found here on my topic. I hope i will contribute instead when done with this.

nice video tutorial for other people.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

So then why don't you just ask, does anyone have suggestions for where to start?
Old 03-18-2016, 12:47 AM   #8
erjcan

does anyone have suggestions to where to start?
Old 03-18-2016, 02:03 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well if all you want to do is hide parts of the calibre user interface, you can do that from Preferences->Toolbars and by clicking the buttons in the lower right corner. I have no idea why you'd want to do that in code.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:24 AM   #10
erjcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well if all you want to do is hide parts of the calibre user interface, you can do that from Preferences->Toolbars and by clicking the buttons in the lower right corner. I have no idea why you'd want to do that in code.

hey kovid! its great to see the guru answering questions. I want to know exactly which part of python code is responsible to what. This is why i m asking.

Also, my final goal is to build my own "homie" little library without all the cool features of Calibre.

this is my first open source project trial. stackoverflow gives advice to work on projects, software that I enjoy using.

so i decided to jump start on huge Calibre's codebase. Now i m confused as to what is what. so this is why i m asking!
Old 03-24-2016, 07:13 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid large codebases are not that simple, there is no "one" place where each feature is defined. Everything you see is the result of interactions of large numbers of subsystems.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The best way to proceed is to give yourself a task then work through the code to implement it. Some examples:
  • Make all author names in the tag browser uppercase.
  • Add a line to the main context menu (right click on a book) to change the case of the item in the cell.
  • Write a plugin that computes the max of some numeric column then for each book stores the percentage for the that book's number in a custom column.
  • Write a plugin that takes a set of ranges along with a label, then for each book looks at the value and stores the correct label in a custom column.
  • Write a plugin that tells you how many custom columns are defined of each column type.
And so on. Doing something you are actually interested in is usually best.

Most of us will answer specific questions about how something works or what some API does. Most of us won't answer something like "where do I change the code to do X?" Finding where something happens and what triggers it is your challenge.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control flow, reverse coding