Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
sorry, as a non-techie: do I just ignore Kevinshort's file, or do I first have to intall his and then replace his screenInv.so with yours?
Install mine, and then replace screenInv.so with yoq's.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
do I first have to intall his and then replace his screenInv.so with yours?
You could this. Alternatively, you could also replace the screenInv.so in the KoboRoot.tgz with the new one, and then install it. You can keep this file for easily re-installing after the next factory reset.

Edit: Sorry, I did not see KevinShort's response.

Last edited by tshering; 05-03-2013 at 03:58 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
It's fantastic, thank you a lot, yoq and Kevin.

I've done an installer for 2.4.0 firmware, it works for me. See the attached file.

PS: with the previous post I mean that if "patch" program is on Kobo, we could ask to the Tweaks plugin mantainer to add an option inside settings to launch a patch script with a predefined path/name, so when someone do an hack for Kobo that modifies firmware files, he can do diff files and apply them with that script instead of doing a brute replacement of the whole files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NightMode_2.4.0.zip (5.9 KB, 831 views)

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 05-03-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thank you guys: I can confirm that it works on the Mini, firmware 2.5.1. In fact, Kevin's original version worked straight out of the box for me. Anyhow I put yok's file just in case.
Only thing to report, for both versions when invoking the toggle in either direction, the central part of the screen only changes color, with the left and right sides remaining in the pre-toggle mode - any type of screen refresh solves the problem. Thanks!!!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
I've done an installer for 2.4.0 firmware, it works for me.
Just asking out of curiosity, what makes your installer an installer for specifically 2.4.0 firmware. In your rcS, I can see the additional line
Code:
echo -n 67108864 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
But I don't think this distinguishes 2.4.0 from 2.5.1.
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
PS: with the previous post I mean that if "patch" program is on Kobo, we could ask to the Tweaks plugin mantainer to add an option inside settings to launch a patch script with a predefined path/name, so when someone do an hack for Kobo that modifies firmware files, he can do diff files and apply them with that script instead of doing a brute replacement of the whole files.
That's a pretty good idea.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
@tshering: I don't removed that line, it is not present in 2.4.0 firmware. I don't think it's a problem to add that line... but you never know

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 05-03-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: I didn't remember the line is in 2.5.1
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #23
tshering
Wizard

@Lucas Malor, after re-reading my post, I understand that I said quit something different from what I intended to say and that in addition to this you are quite right.. Actually, I mistook KevinShort's rcS for your rcS and intended to suggest that you call your installer an installer for the new screenInv.so instead of installer for 2.4.0, in order to offer it to more people than those using FW 2.4.0, So I was quit confused and wrong..

Last edited by tshering; 05-03-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #24
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
with the previous post I mean that if "patch" program is on Kobo, we could ask to the Tweaks plugin mantainer to add an option inside settings to launch a patch script with a predefined path/name, so when someone do an hack for Kobo that modifies firmware files, he can do diff files and apply them with that script instead of doing a brute replacement of the whole files.
Yes, patch is available on the Kobo. The main problem with this approach I think is that it isn't possible to use 2 hacks which modify the same file. I think you can only patch a file that is exactly like the one you used to create the diff?

Anyway, to make the hack more device- and firmware-independent, I created an installer (and an uninstaller) that uses sed to change the line in rcS. To do this after the update process, I abused udev to start a shell script.
I also moved the log into the .kobo folder, as suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola
Only thing to report, for both versions when invoking the toggle in either direction, the central part of the screen only changes color, with the left and right sides remaining in the pre-toggle mode - any type of screen refresh solves the problem.
If you have the time, install the newest version (copy screenInv.so from the src folder onto your .kobo folder), reboot, click once on toggle and post the content of the two log files: screenInvertLog & screenInvertLogFB (both in your .kobo folder)
Attached Files
File Type: zip screenInv.zip (20.6 KB, 700 views)
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #25
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoq View Post
If you have the time, install the newest version (copy screenInv.so from the src folder onto your .kobo folder), reboot, click once on toggle and post the content of the two log files: screenInvertLog & screenInvertLogFB (both in your .kobo folder)
Hi yoq, sure: but just to be clear, there is a lot in the file you just uploaded: you from these you just want me to take screenInv.so for replacing the one already on my device, is that correct?
Old 05-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #26
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, screenInv.so from the src folder
Old 05-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #27
paola
Wizard

Quote:
yes, screenInv.so from the src folder
ok - copied the file, rebooted, opened the library, launched the tools, toggled night mode and... now no vertical strip in either direction (i.e. togle on/off). Opened a book, then toggled again, no problem again, and is working great, thanks!

Can I also say that the webbrowser also looks nice in night mode!

There is only one thing bothering me, which is that the menu from the tools menubar now has a big vertical offset from the line with Library|Tools|sync bar, which means that the top commands in the Tools menubar go off screen. I suppose this is an issue with the Tweaks in the 2.5.1 firmware, but I mention this just in case.

I am attaching the screenInvertLog file, but no screenInvertLogFB was produced.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PaolaInvScreenlog.zip (301 Bytes, 677 views)
Old 05-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #28
yoq
Developer

Sounds great!

About the offset, I doubt it has anything to do with my hack, but you could file a bug report in the other thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206180
Old 05-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #29
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi Kevinshort and Yoq !!! it's the little french.

I just want to say one thing : you are in GOD MODE !!!!!! really it's a very nice and good job.

Thank thank thank for all users !!!!

I'm going to inform the french users that you have find a solution for night mode (i've give us the url of this post).

NB : i don't understand why the kobo's developers have not included this in their official firmware, i think it's one the great add-ons.

Next topic : reduce again the brightness of the glo .... ok, I go out !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by akorx; 05-04-2013 at 07:20 AM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #30
paola
Wizard

Quote:
About the offset, I doubt it has anything to do with my hack, but you could file a bug report in the other thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206180
yep, I did that yesterday already. again, thanks a lot for this hack!

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch