Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
rpitkin49
rpitkin49 began at the beginning.

Device: Aldiko
Question on Index editor

I am using Sigil 0.6.2 to try and create a book for personal use.
I noticed the Index editor, and can not seem to find if there is a way to provide via an external file the list of items I would like indexed. Is this possible?
I tried to edit the saved ".ini" file but that does not seem to work.

Any suggestions?
rpitkin49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpitkin49 View Post
I am using Sigil 0.6.2 to try and create a book for personal use.
I noticed the Index editor, and can not seem to find if there is a way to provide via an external file the list of items I would like indexed. Is this possible?
I tried to edit the saved ".ini" file but that does not seem to work.

Any suggestions?
The reason you might be seeing this, is you need to first mark the text to be indexed, then generate the index.
You appear to want to have Sigil mark the words found in the index.

Did I read you correctly?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
rpitkin49

yes, I have a list of words, and wanted Sigil to mark them. It seems a reasonable question at least to me. Since I have about 300 entries, to mark each one would take quite a bit of input.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
AFAIK, the index editor supports page-break delimited lists pasted via the clipboard.

To generate an index from a list:

- Create a text file with one word per line
- Select all lines and copy them to the clipboard
- Select Tools > Index > Index Editor
- Right-click the large white area in the Index Editor (or press CTRL+E) and select Add Entry, paste the entries from the clipboard and click Save.
- Select Tools > Index > Create Index
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
rpitkin49

Neat, I will try that, any way to also include the display value? Might as well ask.

Thank you.
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
rpitkin49

Works as you said it would.

This is great, I did have difficulty with Núñez when presented with Rafael E. Núñez

But given I now have an index with 300 entries this was great.

thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpitkin49 View Post
Neat, I will try that, any way to also include the display value? Might as well ask.
AFAIK, it's not possible to include the display value. (At least not in Sigil 0.60.)
Maybe meme will add support for display values in one of the next minor versions, but for the time being, you'll most likely have to enter them manually.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #8
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
In 0.6.2 you can just open the .txt file directly. You may need to modify the filter value to show .txt files (I may change that to show them by default along with .ini files so its more obvious).

The Display value is automatically the value to be indexed if Display is left blank.

But if you wanted to load a Display value from a .txt file, then its not possible at this point. I can easily add it, but I'm not sure what separation value to use (e.g. comma may be valid, semicolon is used in the pattern, etc.) - possibly a tab character. Might consider saving as txt as well, but its obviously the import of txt that is used most.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:34 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
I can easily add it, but I'm not sure what separation value to use (e.g. comma may be valid, semicolon is used in the pattern, etc.) - possibly a tab character.
IMHO, a tab character would be best as this would allow users to simply copy and paste index entries and display values from a spreadsheet.
Commas and semicolons would probably also require more work, because CSV entries that contain the delimiter would need to be enclosed by quotation marks etc.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
rpitkin49

I had given it some thought and concur that a tab would be best. We would have <value>[tab<display-value>]EOL for an entry. Clearly tab, since it would never display would not be part of the value or the display-value.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
It'll be a tab in the next version to load the display value as well as the search value.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indexing