Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Does anyone have the direct download link for 1.19.2 for Mac? (I played with the numbers in the above link, but couldn't get anything to work.)

I'm still on 1.17 and don't intend to update, but I'd like to have 1.19.2 as a backup since there's a workaround for this version, just in case case Amazon stops supporting 1.17.

Thank you
The same workaround works for 1.20.x.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #137
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The same workaround works for 1.20.x.
Thanks! I've seen reports of success for Kindle for PC.

Has anyone tried it with Kindle for Mac?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #138
lemonflavor
lemonflavor began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Just reporting in that Method 2 on the first page worked for me with Windows 10. I had gotten a KFX file for the first time today. Calibre directed me to this thread. I made the change using the command line (yes, the .xxx is correct). Then I had to delete the book that was already in on my hard drive as shown in Kindle and re-download it.
lemonflavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:39 AM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks! I've seen reports of success for Kindle for PC.

Has anyone tried it with Kindle for Mac?
Just try it.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #140
enaid1
enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Just try it.
I did just try it, on 1.20.2, and the answer I got was

Quote:
chmod: Unable to change file mode on /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test: Operation not permitted
Did I do something wrong?
enaid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:28 PM   #141
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaid1 View Post

Yes. You rename the file so it cannot be found by Kindle for MAC.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:39 PM   #142
enaid1
enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
No one else on this thread mentioned renaming anything so...I should rename renderer-test? Should I remove it altogether from the package?

I did rename renderer-test in the package, restarted Kindle, and downloaded a book, which it opened. No files at all appeared in the "My Kindle Content" folder in the Library, however.
enaid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:15 AM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No one else on this thread mentioned renaming anything so...I should rename renderer-test? Should I remove it altogether from the package?

I did rename renderer-test in the package, restarted Kindle, and downloaded a book, which it opened. No files at all appeared in the "My Kindle Content" folder in the Library, however.
I did rename renderer-test in Windows and it worked. It download a KFX eBook as KF8. So I was able to remove the DRM.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:21 AM   #144
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You rename it on a PC, but for Mac, I believe you need to block access permissions. That's why the Terminal command for Mac is: chmod -x whereas it's ren on PC.

Quote:

@enaid, If you're on a Mac and your Kindle for Mac application is in the Applicaitons folder, and you opened a Terminal window and copied exactly: chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test then hit return —

If you did exactly that and it didn't work, I'd guess this workaround does not work on 1.20.2

(I haven't had time to try it. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back.)
Old 07-02-2017, 02:18 AM   #145
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You rename it on a PC, but for Mac, I believe you need to block access permissions. That's why the Terminal command for Mac is: chmod -x whereas it's ren on PC.
Why would renaming the file not work on OS X? It would mean Kindle would not find it and thus not use it. Plus, you then don't have to deal with permissions.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:58 AM   #146
aborel
Enthusiast
aborel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:

Perhaps you should type:

sudo chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test

(your accounts might not have the necessary rights by defaults, the sudo command will give you higher privileges)
aborel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #147
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Why would renaming the file not work on OS X? It would mean Kindle would not find it and thus not use it. Plus, you then don't have to deal with permissions.
I don't know enough about Macs to know why, but it doesn't work. So a different workaround was discovered for Kindle for Mac.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:32 PM   #148
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I don't know enough about Macs to know why, but it doesn't work. So a different workaround was discovered for Kindle for Mac.
Check the permissions. Maybe you don't have the permission to change the filename. If that's the case, change the permission so you can rename and rename.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:24 AM   #149
odamizu
just an egg

I updated K4Mac to 1.20.2 (47082), planning to test the chmod workaround to avoid KFX. But before I applied it, I downloaded a book to see what KFX looks like on download. Instead, I got AZW3.

I deleted all books in My Kindle Content folder, then re-downloaded a dozen books with Enhanced Typesetting. I received AZW3 every time. My K4Mac 1.20.2 seems incapable of giving me a KFX book.

I then used the chmod command and got the same result enaid1 did (unable to change file mode, operation not permitted), so Amazon seems to have altered the permissions to block this workaround. I then used sudo chmod. I didn't get an error message, but I have no way of testing whether this blocks KFX, since I was getting AZW3 for all my books even before using the chmod workaround.

Last edited by odamizu; 07-04-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: clarity & brevity
Old 07-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #150
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Check the permissions. Maybe you don't have the permission to change the filename. If that's the case, change the permission so you can rename and rename.
I don't have a Mac. I just saw it was tried, failed, and then a different solution for Macs was arrived at.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc