Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
stmani73
stmani73 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Viewer: Scrolling using touchpad edge

Hi,

I have been fascinated by Calibre ever since I discovered it (one week back). It works great for me. I am using it on my desktop at home that runs linux mint and on my laptop that runs win xp. I have the following requests:

1. In the viewer is it possible to scroll the contents using the touchpad edge scrolling. I am used to reading all my stuff using this and find it difficult having to use the space bar or pageup and pagedown buttons.

2. Is it possible to make calibre recognise dell axim x30. I use it exclusively for reading books and feeds using mobipocket reader.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-SR
stmani73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmani73 View Post
Hi,

I have been fascinated by Calibre ever since I discovered it (one week back). It works great for me. I am using it on my desktop at home that runs linux mint and on my laptop that runs win xp. I have the following requests:

1. In the viewer is it possible to scroll the contents using the touchpad edge scrolling. I am used to reading all my stuff using this and find it difficult having to use the space bar or pageup and pagedown buttons.

2. Is it possible to make calibre recognise dell axim x30. I use it exclusively for reading books and feeds using mobipocket reader.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-SR
I can scroll using my touchpad.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I would think that this would be controlled by the software driver for this device. I use the mouse wheel or the up and down arrow keys to scroll. You're driver should be able emulate the mouse wheel.

Quote:
I'm not familar with the device but if it hooks up via usb as a drive you should be able to use the Connect to Folder option via the dropdown arrow to the right of send to device icon. This will connect to a folder on the device and allow you to send books to the folder.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
stmani73

May be I am little unlucky. The touchpad edge scroll does not work in my laptop. It works for other programs that I use in Windows XP and Linuxmint. It doesn't look to me like a driver problem.

The scroll that is there in the mouse wheel is similar to page down and up. I was looking at a smoother scroll something like what you get when you use the scroll bar.

I am not able to see the dell axim x30 device as a directory in linux. Calibre comes in handy as it is available in linux. The Mobipocket reader is available only for windows.

Last edited by stmani73; 07-09-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Does the Dell Axim present itself as though it was a USB drive to Windows or does it use something different like ActiveSync? Calibre can only interface easily to those devices that present themselves as USB drives.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
stmani73

Axim x30 uses activesync. There is a program WM5storage to make the contents of the pocket pc visible as a directory. But this is available only in WM5 and above. I have Windows mobile 2003 in dell axim x30 and could not get the ROM to upgrade to WM5. Dell no longer supports this device. I was hoping to use it as a book reader along with my linux desktop instead of going to windows just for this sake.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If that is the case, then Calibre is not going to recognize the Axim as a device.

You might be able to proceed as follows (you may already be doing this):
- get your eBooks into Calibre with the correct metadata and then convert them to a format supported on the Axim.
- Use the Calibre 'save to Disk' option to export the files from Calibre to a specified folder. You may want to tweak the save mask under Preferences if you have specific needs on file/folder naming of the ebook files.
- Copy the files to the Axim outside Calibre. I am assuming here that you have some methods of copying files ton the Axim?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:56 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Axim x30 uses activesync.
Following on from itimpi's advice, you can make activesync work for you.

Create a folder in the activesync folder for your x30, say 'ebooks'. Use calibre's 'connect to folder' option, aiming it at the ebooks folder. Send the books you want on your device, etc, until you are happy. Connect the x30 to your machine and start activesync if it doesn't start by itself. Activesync will notice the ebooks folder and send the contents to the x30. Future changes (adds and deletes) will get synced as well.

I am not sure what happens if you connect to the folder while activesync is running. My concern is that calibre and activesync could fight over files and folders, with one or the other getting lock errors. My guess is that there won't be a problem, but forewarned is forearmed.

What reader will you use? If you don't have one, you might want to look at freda (http://www.turnipsoft.co.uk/freda/ & https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...53#post1003453). It supports WM2003.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote