Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Calibre Portable: doesn't load library when launched

I've decided to backup my Calibre library to an USB drive. Then I remembered that Calibre has a portable version, so I installed it on that USB drive. That way, I can use calibre on other computers where I put the USB drive.

I've switched libraries, so that it would use "e:\eBooks\Calibre" instead of e:\eBooks\Calibre Portable\Calibre Library".

It looked like it worked fine.

Until I exited Calibre Portable and relaunched it. Empty library.

The problem is that my library folder is outside the calibre portable folder. When I launch Calibre, it always tries to load the "Calibre Portable" library instead of my library. I've deleted the "Calibre Portable" library and even deleted the "Calibre Library" folder.

It always loads by default an empty library and creates a new "Calibre Library" folder.

How do I force the app to load my library by default?

I could try to just move my library folder inside the app's folder, but that would mess up my synchronization software.

I've searched for a config file, and I found the "global.py" file. I've changed the library_path line, but no luck. The software creates an empty library and loads it at launch, instead of the one I created.

Last edited by Over; 09-17-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Portable is working as designed. The Library(s) are expected in the folder.
You can always switch to other folders (anywhere) BUT, only those in the default location, will be remembered upon the next launch.

If tou reserve a drive letter for you USB stick, Calibre (the Win version), can reopen the library that is on the USB stick
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Portable is working as designed. The Library(s) are expected in the folder.
You can always switch to other folders (anywhere) BUT, only those in the default location, will be remembered upon the next launch.

If tou reserve a drive letter for you USB stick, Calibre (the Win version), can reopen the library that is on the USB stick
Thanks. I thought the portable version would be able to remember the last library used or at least there would be a config file I could edit and change the default library. Oh well...
Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Over - If Calibre Portable and the library folders are both located on NTFS drives (same or different) you could drop a Symbolic Link to the library folder into the Calibre Portable folder. Calibre will see the symlink to library folder as if it were the library folder.

You can create symlinks with the MKLINK command, and here's what an NTFS symlink is ==>> NTFS symbolic link - Wikipedia

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:11 AM   #5
Over
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Over - If Calibre Portable and the library folders are both located on NTFS drives (same or different) you could drop a Symbolic Link to the library folder into the Calibre Portable folder. Calibre will see the symlink to library folder as if it were the library folder.

You can create symlinks with the MKLINK command, and here's what an NTFS symlink is ==>> NTFS symbolic link - Wikipedia

BR
Thank you, it worked!
Advert
Old 09-18-2018, 04:36 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
@BetterRed, do you know why I cannot use MKLINK as it says: The device does not admit symbolic links
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
@BetterRed, do you know why I cannot use MKLINK as it says: The device does not admit symbolic links
Maybe the device is not formatted as an NTFS volume.

When I want a Symlink I use this gadget ==>> Link Shell Extension

Or it could be a 'permissions' issue - there's a setting in gpedit under User Rights relating to Symbolic Links, IIRC the LSE site has something about it - search for gpedit

FessUp Time: - I had a little bit of involvement in the early development of LSE

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Yes, I saw it later, it's FAT, sorry to question this (work is bad for brain health)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote