Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-30-2021, 04:40 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Text Document Freezes At Same Point

I have two PaperWhites: the 2 and 3. In order to read my own fledgling novel, I copied and pasted it into a text document and put this on the PW2. For some strange reason, this freezes at around 20%. So, naturally, I tried putting it on the PW3, but it does exactly the same at the same point, just before my characters explore the attic of a haunted house.

I'll try converting the txt to azw3 in Calibre and hope that this works.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this might be happening, other than my kindles hiding from the oncoming spookiness?

Thanks in advance.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:05 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Docx (use styles, page breaks at chapters, etc) works best as import to Calibre, then make an epub and convert the epub to azw3.

I'd not bother with anything other than dual-mobi (for when you don't know what someone else has) or azw3 for a Kindle (KK3 and later but not DXG), and only use Calibre. Kindle Creator is a very limited tool for people to upload to KDP rather than for real kindles.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I converted it to azw3 and it seems to be working now. I'm still puzzled as to why a simple txt file froze the reader.

@Quoth: My version of Word is so old that it still uses doc. I have previously put txt documents onto my kindles with no problems, but for some reason this book became stuck.
My characters have been poking round an old dusty attic - I had forgotten how spooky this novel was!
Old 06-01-2021, 07:51 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LO Writer is free.
There was a docx upgrade for Word2002/XP. If you have an older Word consider LibreOffice. Older versions are available if the PC can't run 6.x family. I have 6.2 on Win7 and 5.3 approx on XP and 6.4.7.2 on Linux Mint.
Best to edit / save in native ODT format, but it can import and export .doc and .docx etc.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:26 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J

I have Word 2002. It came on a Microsoft Works bundle disc which I bought when I had my first laptop. I wasn't aware of the docx upgrade.

The main reason I haven't bought a newer version of Word is that I prefer the older style toolbar, and I don't need to spend the money.

I like Word, as a word processor, but find that I'm more likely to use FocusWriter or Scrivener for creative things.

Thanks for the LibreOffice recommendation, but I'll probably stick with Word.

The problematic document wasn't a Word doc, but txt from NotePad.
Advert
Old 06-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I recently also got a copy of Word 2007 cheap (inc Excel) and promptly installed the free 3rd party Menu add-on that makes it like Word 2002-2003. Easily found on Web, easy to add and replaces the evil ribbon. I also bought a copy of 2003 for WINE (it's the only one that works properly on WINE). I Have Word 2003, Word 2002 and Word2007 on VMs and old XP computers. One VM is a clone of my 2002 Laptop using free MS tool.

Styles are much easier to manage in Writer than Word and I always convert txt documents to docx and apply styles etc.

I also have Word2.0a, which might be the first decent version. You can run DOSBox on Android, and install win 3.0 on it!
Old 06-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J

Thank you, but I believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've had no problems with Word, it's not what my original question was about. Thanks for the info, though.

The azw3 version of the novel is working fine so far, and I've read much further, in fact I've nearly finished it. The first draft isn't completed, but I'm looking forward to doing so. It was written many years ago, and I keep getting that "gosh, did I really write that?" feeling.

Tags
freezing, paperwhite 2, paperwhite 3, text