Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Archos 7 Home Tablet for $100

I just received a Archos 7 home tablet from Tiger Direct. It is a nice unit for $99.99. The link is http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3SHIP-_-03ship

the description says the Android is version 1.5 and also says there is a free upgrade. When mine arrived it was already upgraded to 2.1 Eclair which makes it pretty reasonable for the price. There is an active user group providing good support for the product including custom firmware. It is described on our wiki Archos 7. Other features include an accelerometer with automatic page switching from landscape to portrait if you wish. It ships with Aldiko eBook reader pre-loaded although once I hooked up Wi-Fi is needed to be upgraded. Simple click. Note this has a resistive touchscreen so it is not as fancy as the capacitive touchscreens are. A simple stylus (not included) improves the use.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Aw man! Its $149 now! So how's it working out o far?
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
Aw man! Its $149 now! So how's it working out o far?
Did you not see the code in the big blue box offering another $50 off? You can still get it for $99. I am really enjoying mine. There is good support in forums devoted to the Archos line. There are even several people who have done Android 2.2 Foyo release and one group working on 2.3. I don't think it can easily be taken beyond 2.3 but that is 2 upgrades beyond the one I bought, which was already several upgrades from the 1.5 shown in the description. I am happy.

As shipped with 2.1 eclair the unit comes close to meeting my needs also google market requires an upgrade so to get access to more apps you need a bit more. It include appslib which is pretty good but not as many apps available but the ones that are are more likely to run ok on the device.

What specific questions do you have?

Dale
Old 08-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh just wondering how stable it is. I don't need a power packed device. I just want to surf and view occasional vids on YouTube. I have a coby kyros and was looking to get my daughter something. Does angry birds work ok?
I am viewing this forum from my cell phone so I didn't see and additional $50 off. I will look. From another device
Thanks!

Last edited by eSheri; 08-13-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
eSheri
Addict

I see $199-$50
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
85 bucks shipped from woot

http://deals.woot.com/sellout
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
I see $199-$50
do not worry. Once you enter the code shown on the page it will drop another $50. It is really $99. Try it.

Angry birds work fine. I haven't gotten you-tube to work on the factory firmware yet. But one of the hacks claim to have made it work. I think you-tube support multiple formats and not all of them work.

Dale
Old 08-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
85 bucks shipped from woot

http://deals.woot.com/sellout
better link http://sellout.woot.com/. This one claims to be V1 but then so does the Tiger Direct. Tiger Direct seems to be shipping V2 these days since they promised an upgrade but I don't know what woot is shipping.

Dale
Old 08-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
How long does it hold a charge with moderate use? I'd looked at getting one of the Archos players as a good media player for quite some time, and this deal may be too good to pass up.

Unfortunately, nobody I know has one, so I've got to rely on other people I trust.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
How long does it hold a charge with moderate use? I'd looked at getting one of the Archos players as a good media player for quite some time, and this deal may be too good to pass up.

Unfortunately, nobody I know has one, so I've got to rely on other people I trust.
the specs say Video playback time - up to 7 hours, Music playback time - up to 42 hours

I seem to be getting about 6 hours or more but I haven't just let it run down playing a movie to see what it would do. There is a lock switch that kills the display but music will still play. I keep the backlight fairly low most of the time. For maximum life also turn off the wi-fi.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
Tiger had a sale on a Archos 7 501521 Refurbished Internet Home Tablet - 7" Display, 8GB, Android 1.5, Wireless

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati..._1_A685-0068RB

and they had started saying it was 2.1 (or 2.2, I forget) then a lot of people were posting bad reviews and posting at archos fans that the mentioned upgrade did nothing to the android version but was just a firmware update...

currently at the above link it says "Please Note: Your Archos 7 501521 Refurbished Internet Home Tablet is not upgradable to newer Android versions."

so nice to hear you are enjoying it, the two refurbished that I ordered had different defects in each, plus weren't the advertised version of android, nor was it upgradeable it was just so slow I couldn't even use it for books I have an archos5 ht 500gb version and it works okay except for the battery life even with the battery dock I rarely get more than 4 hours of just reading no wifi brightness at 10% and checking system monitor at every chapter to turn off creeping apps that just keep starting up and run in background but drain the battery

I thought the extra 2 inches would make for a better reading experience and it looks like it might....

I tried the Archos 70 - 8 GB Internet Tablet (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Archos-70-Inte.../dp/B00422SH5C

but it had a bad or burst battery the back panel was bulged clicked if you pushed it with your finger tip and wouldn't charge

I had posted about the arnova7 archos's even cheaper tablet line https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141306 but it's really getting some poor reviews and in several my main concern battery usage is a big comment but it _sounds_ good $99.00 new with froyo for a really no frills way to check emails

how does the PanDigital 72-70FW 7-Inch Tablet Computer - White (Remanufactured) Price:$89.99 compare to the archos?

http://www.amazon.com/PanDigital-72-...3268991&sr=1-2
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

@tomereader: Looks like you have had some bad luck receiving broken units. Did you contact TigerDirect and return or replace the broken ones? When did you order them?

Dale
Old 08-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
I ordered those refurbished ones literally minutes after the special sale email came, then after looking around a bit seeing that the model advertised as 2.2 (or 2.1) was in fact 1.5 at other sites, called tiger's sales line and was told yeah no worries if you get the 1.5 ( sales rep said they had (insert large number here) a special purchase and most should have been the 2.? version (while at archosfans site almost everyone was receiving 1.5 version) there will be a sticker saying where to go to download the upgrade if you got the older version

no sticker no upgrade BUT while the sales side was a little ... too slick feeling... the customer service side had the shipper pick up the next day and the refund was showing in account 72 hours later so they treated me alright

the 70 was through amazon and their reputation for fast refunds and good customer service proved itself same next day pick up refund in account even quicker than tiger....

even though I have my archos 5 which was defect free I did get a little concerned about archos products quality after these last purchases especially since I was going to gift one of the refurbs and then with the 70 gift the 5 I had but wasn't able to do that...

I went for refunds instead of more product because of my own experience and reading the archosfans posts had me concerned over that refurb sale

with this current sale I am passing because there is that mention of an upgrade if your model shipped isnt the right 2.2 android version but on the older sales page (refurbished) they say the model number which appears to be the same _cannot_ be upgraded....

I will wait for arnova 7 and search youtube for those that do unboxing videos which seem an honest review especially before things get rooted or altered but just to see the device straight from the box

when these new 3.1 or 3.2 tablets start to get to the $199 price level they might be worth it but their current price tags are a bit beyond my reach right now

that staples coupon was really driving me crazy as it put that new stuff _almost_ with in reach
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote