Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What's the first thing you're going to do with your Kindle 3?

After marveling at the new screen, I'll check out the web browser and probably reread Stephen King's UR as the first book on my new Kindle.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Looking forward to checking out the screen. Then I'll start loading it up with books (slowly so it doesn't get bogged down indexing). Not sure what the first read will be.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm looking forward to testing the new built-in light in the Amazon cover - see how well it lights the new screen!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Add a bunch of favorite mobile sites' URLs (like m.mobileread.com) to the browser's bookmarks, unless the webkit browser is such an improvement that it does well with full sites.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Turn on the network and get the samples I've sent it and download whatever my current read is. I'll probably start with the 3G to see how good the coverage is in my house. Just curiosity of course, since I haven't had AT&T here but lots of my friends with them have trouble getting service inside. Then I'll set up the WiFi to connect to my home router and maybe test out the Webkit browser a little. I don't want to spend a whole lot of time on that. I want to start reading on it! Though I will want to check out some of my PDFs on it and see if it's workable eventually. I'm not holding out a lot of hope on that front.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Digital Ink
----
Digital Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 International [pre-order]
I'm going to smell her, touch her and fill her up... with books.
Digital Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Sync my existing Amazon Kindle books to it ... My Amazon account is separate from my wife's and her Kindle2. I am just reading those titles now on my Android and iPod touch devices. And while connected via WiFi ... (grin)
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #8
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Switch it on !!!

Then Fill it with books

THEN finally

READ books !!!
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #9
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Connecting it to the Wifi, fill it with books, buy again the Times subscription, arrange it next to the bed. Here we are.

Ah, and drool on the screen. Because the screen, if it's like the DXG's, is beautiful.

Last edited by Juliette; 08-17-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
I am very much looking forward to checking out the screen, though I had a DX graphite for a few weeks so I don't expect any surprises there. I am also curious how it feels in my hands compared to my old Kindle v1, in particular the new "next/prev" buttons as they look a bit smaller in the pictures.

I expect I will spend a little time lamenting the packaging too. The Kindle v1 had the coolest box I have ever gotten a gadget in. It was shaped like a giant book and was really cool. It was very exciting to open, granted it probably cost an arm and a leg for that packaging so I understand why they did it. (if you want to see it here is a video showing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtp5l_ZqAQ0 )

After that I will be all about loading it up with my favorite books series and throwing them into collections so I don't have to page through tons of screens to find the books I want. Then I will get settled in and read something.

It is during that first book that I expect to really form opinions on the ergonomics of the device. I suspect I will really like it but you never know. I am very much looking forward to getting it and am really pining away wishing I had it already.
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:27 AM   #11
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
Put it into the cover and fill it with books. Cuddle up in the corner of my bed with nice warm blankets and a hot milo and start reading
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #12
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Good question. I'm not sure what I'll do with it first. It will be my first ever eBook reader, I've never even seen one before (makes me sound like such a country mouse). I've already grabbed some of the free books from Amazon, so will probably load them onto my Kindle ... not sure.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #13
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Read?

I bet what I'll actually do is compare it with the other reader, faff about with the web browser etc. etc. - playing with the new toy.

Then read.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #14
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Put it on charge, faff about with it, look online to see what cracks/customisations etc I can add, faff some more then have to reflash software cos I messed it up..........then read instruction manual and use it properly.

Basically the story of most electronic stuff I buy
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #15
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Buy some books from the kindle store, fill it up with books I already have and then get down to some reading.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote