Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #31
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Yeah. I really had my hopes up until I ran across a Malaysian site also selling the Starebook.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #32
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I think the prices of all device, but especially the STAReBOOK will have to fall considerably before they can get off to a real start.
Sony has it's ebook store to back up the deivce which could justify a higher price, the Iliad has it's many features and (if it every becomes fully available) the SDK as well, but Jinke and eREAD will have to manage a price-drop to be able to sell their devices in greater numbers. But maybe eink anels are just so expensive that there is no way for the ebook makers to drop prices yet.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #33
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think the STAReBOOK price leverage was due to the fact that they offer free ebooks. I don't know how that's legal, but assuming they have some sort of legal way to do it, and they can keep up the choices of English books, it might have a market. Plus even more of a market in China.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:15 PM   #34
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I think the STAReBOOK price leverage was due to the fact that they offer free ebooks. I don't know how that's legal, but assuming they have some sort of legal way to do it, and they can keep up the choices of English books, it might have a market. Plus even more of a market in China.
Um... let's just say that "intellectual property" is a relatively unknown concept in China. As an example, I see a complete line of "Harry Potter" books on the isoshu site... and we all know Rowling/Bloomsbury/Scholastic has not authorized any ebooks.

I think it will be difficult or impossible for U.S. publishers to shut them down, though sales of the STAReBOOK reader could potentially be blocked in the U.S. As you say, the market might hold in China, where enforcement of copyright laws is a bit different than what we might expect in western countries. But justifying the price of the reader with the "free" books available for it is a very shaky argument indeed. One could say many of the same "free" books are equally available for any reader capable of accepting (or converting) txt and other files.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:38 AM   #35
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Is Harry Potter really in there?
Wow...that's first grade copyright infraction then...tsts...:-)

I did a search on a few popular authors and didn't come up with anything, but I forgot to try Harry Potter...
Advert
Old 01-17-2007, 08:43 AM   #36
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't get much searching on authors. I had to actually search on "Harry Potter."

In China, it's often nearly impossible to tell if you're buying a pirate copy of something (speaking from personal experience). Products are often reproduced right down to copyright statements and warnings! Price is usually one of the tell-tale factors.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:29 AM   #37
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
It's nearing the last week of Jan .... so how's the review coming?
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #38
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Hey Snappy...the review device should be on it's way, as soon as it's here the review can get on it's way too...:-)

I've started playiung around with the new software and have created a few books so I'll have some material to use on the device as soon as it arrives. Ivan also told me that the device has a new firmware and now support bookmarks and has some other imrpovemens as well...I'll know more once I actually have the Hardware in my hands...
Old 01-19-2007, 03:17 AM   #39
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Well, I received the tracking number today...it does not seem to work (yet?) but that is nothing new with DHL...even their national (german) tracking is often so slow that the package arrives before they start offering an online status...
Old 01-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #40
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

My tracking number still does not show up in the DHL system...I'll guess I'll ask Ivan about that on Monday.

One thing I can say about the eRead folk is that they seem to have a pretty good Software team. I haven't seen the device software yet, but the eRead Software for Pc is progressing quickly. New revisions are popping up every few days actually and it really seems like they are doing quite well. There are still many rough edges at the moment, but at the pace they are setting at the moment, I guess they'll have in a few months what the guys from dotreader have been planning for years. Their software is apparently also aiming at complete integration of chatting, reader and annotating...I'm not really somebody who thinks this is neccessary, but it's always good to see somebody doing it anyway.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #41
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Bookeen has offered the STAReBOOK hardware with its own reading software to Baen Bar, see thread. So it may be worth reviewing the hardware and software separately. It isn't clear whether Bookeen could not offer the STK software, or if it is missing to reduce cost.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #42
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
Um... let's just say that "intellectual property" is a relatively unknown concept in China. ... As you say, the market might hold in China, where enforcement of copyright laws is a bit different than what we might expect in western countries.
In the late 1800s the UK and other European countries were saying the same thing about the USA. The USA publishers were reprinting the overseas books and stories without payment of copyright fees and the USA did not sign the international copyright convention agreements until 1891.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #43
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
In the late 1800s the UK and other European countries were saying the same thing about the USA. The USA publishers were reprinting the overseas books and stories without payment of copyright fees and the USA did not sign the international copyright convention agreements until 1891.
Oh, absolutely, and it was darned hard to make a living at writing in the US until that point, from what I've heard. Though the legal basis of international copyright didn't really exist until the Berne Convention in 1886, so there wasn't much for the US to sign before that. Wikipedia has a nice article on the history of copyright law, for those who might be interested in more detail.

The IP situation in China (and, for that matter, other less wealthy countries) is interesting. Even leaving out the amount of revenue expected by publishers, the income required to support a content creator in the western countries could be far greater than what potential customers in developing countries can afford to pay. If western publishers charge the same prices in China that they charge in the US or Europe, they don't sell many copies. But with digital technology, the cost of distribution is minimal. The western companies can cut prices in China, and accept a lower markup, or the pirates will do it for them. But if cheap copies are available in China (whether authorized or pirated), what's to stop people from reselling them in more expensive markets?

One might hope that long-term, the pipe could run both ways, and content creators in less wealthy countries could start to sell to richer customers via the internet. I'm betting we'll see it in music, first, where language is less of a barrier.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #44
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Roger that!
I'm wondering if I should just get a Sony Reader and later this year 'upgrade' when newer readers appear on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Hey Snappy...the review device should be on it's way, as soon as it's here the review can get on it's way too...:-)

I've started playiung around with the new software and have created a few books so I'll have some material to use on the device as soon as it arrives. Ivan also told me that the device has a new firmware and now support bookmarks and has some other imrpovemens as well...I'll know more once I actually have the Hardware in my hands...
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:49 AM   #45
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

BIG NEwS!

According to the tracking status (ivan gave me a tracking number, but he told me he shipped it by DHL...I asked him why the tracking wasn't working and he rechecked and found that it had been shipped by FedEx...:-) that now works the STAReBOOK is now out for delivery in my hometown. If I don't miss the FedEx guys today, then I should be able to provide at least a few pictures today.

The package was sent out on the 18th...and it is here now which means staretek put down a lot of money to ship out a review sample. That looks like a good sign to me...

Yesterday I did some further testing with the eRead 3.0 software and also registered for the included IM app (ICQ style thing). One thing I found was that the program comes with several support guys already in the contact list...and they work on sundays. I gave them a bug report and they promised to look into it. Their english is not quite as good as ivan's and their first response is in chinese characters...but apart from that I was impressed.