Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 02-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Marvin slowing down

Actually, I don't know if this is a Marvin problem or a iPod Touch issue. But when viewing epubs, especially those with a novella+ size page count, moving to the next page is slow. Like 20 or more seconds slow. And it's all the way through the book. Even closing it is slow.

It's an oldish Touch with 9.3 on it. I don't like "upgrading" because I get less functionality each time. Grrrr. I also don't want to upgrade incase I lose my current method of moving bulk ebooks on to it is thwarted (again!) by Apple. Also, as it's never attached to wifi, security isn't a issue (as if that is ever an issue with "updates").

It's a 16Gb model (which means of the 12Gb actually available, there is 11Gb free). It gets restarted reasonably frequently. I'm not really sure what version Marvin (but it wouldn't have the Oct 2017 patch). It would've been the updated version of Marvin in May 2016.

Nothing on the Touch has changed since 2016 (I put my whole library at the time on it). It went like a jet. But it's been slowing down ever since. I don't use any other apps on the Touch. Basically, it's an e-reader.

I tried to see if there was a cache or a temp file area but if there is, I can't see it on the device.

I'm hoping a reset isn't the solution because the newest OS will install (won't it?) and it'll probably brick the Touch. I'd rather put up with the sluggish page turns.

Any suggestions appreciated (including moving this thread to the apple area if required).
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Check the slow books for errors using epubcheck. Also check for excessive CSS code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, okay. Good idea. Might take a while. There've been dozens of books. But still - good idea! Thanks!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I've used the Calibre Editor to get rid of unused CSS, I've had hundreds of classes removed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
As far as Marvin is concerned, I haven't noticed any slowing of the device. I do, however have the latest update of Marvin, and keep iOS updated.

To Check Marvin's version:
From the Library/Book List page, select settings from the sprocket at the top left...select About
I show Marvin 3.1.2 build 34

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I tried to see if there was a cache or a temp file area but if there is, I can't see it on the device.
To Clear Marvin's Cache:

From Marvin's home page, click the "gear icon" in the upper left corner. Select "General settings", then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the screen. Select "!!! Reset book caches". Then select "Yes, I'm sure".

Ignore Kris's warning that resetting might slow things down. I do this monthly and have over 1000 ePubs in Marvin on my iPad Mini. I sometimes delete books from Marvin to "tweak" them and then re-install. Clearing the cache clears out any deadwood.

Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
skb
Evangelist

Thanks everyone.

Firstly, I checked some (not all because...time) of the slow ePubs. None of them threw any scary errors (mostly they seemed to be innocuous HTML anomalies which as a web developer I wouldn't worry too much on a page) e.g.
Code:
Error while parsing file 'attribute "prefix" not allowed here; expected attribute "id"'.
Error while parsing file 'element "hr" not allowed here;
Error while parsing file 'element "tr" incomplete; expected element "td" or "th"'.
etc (I'm not even sure where the tables are in that particular epub).

Anyway, based on the other suggestions I've determined that my version is Marvin 3.1 build 32

I also cleared the cache, which was 45.7Mb (I don't know if that's a lot or not).

After clearing the cache, I tried one of the offending files again and I don't know whether I was imagining it or not, but it seemed quicker.

If I get any slowness again, I'll tag the file (so I remember which one to check later).

thanks everyone!