Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-21-2017, 07:22 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question content server aliases

on a new device,
i get to where it says content server aliases tap this setting to define more understandable names... you must connect then disconnect before using this dialog...
but when I tap it , it simply repeats that text.
i have connected and disconnected, exited and reentered CC
I cannot see where/how to actually add a friendly content server name ?
NB content server is working - as a manually entered ip address and port.

cc version 5.3.6.2. (383) from google play

Last edited by stumped; 11-21-2017 at 07:24 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC supports aliases for content server "names" discovered by broadcast or bonjour. It doesn't support aliases for servers entered directly into the connection box. The reason: if you run multiple calibre servers on the lan then the user will be asked to choose between them when connecting. By default the user sees the name of the computer and the port. Defining an alias tells CC to show the alias instead. If you directly add the ip address or url then there is no choice to make therefore no ambiguity.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok. Now that it is working and connecting, i never see the server name anyway. It did occur to me that naming them only makes.sense if.you have more.than one and.wish to choose each time
I just choose content server if pc is on, cloud if not
But can you suggest why, with a new tablet install, the "find content server automatically" never works.
I have a simple lan.
The calibre content server is on a.static windows 10.pc, wired, no wifi, at internal ip 192.168.0.28 port 8080
.no.passwords.
the wifi tablets are.on the same.lan. but a manual entry of that ip is always needed at 1st setup. Afrer that, all is good

Last edited by stumped; 11-21-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
But can you suggest why, with a new tablet install, the "find content server automatically" never works.
I have a simple lan.
The calibre content server is on a.static windows 10.pc, wired, no wifi, at internal ip 192.168.0.28 port 8080
.no.passwords.
the wifi tablets are.on the same.lan. but a manual entry of that ip is always needed at 1st setup. Afrer that, all is good
Something is preventing mDNS (bonjour) and UDP broadcasts getting exchanged between the tablets and calibre. In your case I suspect the culprit to be the home router, but it isn't a strong suspicion.

You should check that the devices are really on the same network. I assume that they all have IP addresses in the 192.168.0 range. It is possible that it is further subnetted, in which case you would need to use an IP address. On the calibre computer, us ipconfig to verify that the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. If it is anything else then your network setup is probably the cause.

A calibre (not CC) debug log will tell you if calibre is receiving CC's "are you there" broadcasts. If it is not then the culprit is the firewall or AV on the calibre machine, or the home router. If it is but CC isn't hearing the reply then you can rule out the home router as the culprit.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
stumped
Wizard

it is a virginmedia hub3, not the worlds best router
will today failed auto find be in a log already or oso I have to enable logging and than stage a failure ? ??? same wih the server error log- as if some calibre update stopped writing to them this summer ?
i see a server access log but it is huge - goes back to 2014 and ends at june 17
everything is on the 192.168.0.xxx network and with 255.255.255.0
the hub does DHCP but both the the calibre PC and the tablets are on static / reserved addresses
could it be I have messed with port numbers? I do recall a clash with VLC player remote control over ports .
my CS is on 8080, maybe the default is plain 80 ?
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

The content server logs won't have anything in them regarding CC failing to find calibre. That said, those logs moved when calibre V3 was released. In calibre, go to preferences / sharing over the net. Push the "Show logs" button. At the bottom of the window you will see the folder name where the logs are stored.

See here for how to get a calibre debug log. Start calibre with logging, attempt to connect with CC with "default settings" (no IP address), then quit calibre. In the normal case the debug log will contain lines like
Code:
SMART_DEV ( 225.14:223.151) run received broadcast ('localhost', ('192.168.120.4', 54982)) calibre wireless device client (on wallaby);8080,9090
SMART_DEV ( 228.15:  3.003) run attempt to open device socket
The received broadcast line tells you that calibre received CC's "are you there". The next line tells you that CC heard the response and is trying to connect.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard

I read that port forwarding on the virginmedia hub3 is a broken mess.and that disabling the hub firewall completely breaks it. So I guess it is something to do with that. Logs discontinuing swith calibre v3 explains why the ones I found stop at June
I may take a look at the other stuff tomorrow when I have the pc on, replying via tablet for now.
I have a feeling that some other apps for remote device control also have to be set manually, they did not auto find the things on the lan what they were supposed to control. A yamaha network receiver app comes to mind.
The ultimate remote app which I use a lot seems able to find all my pcs though. Ànd the remote apps for roku and fire tv find their devices unaided.
It is just a curiosity driven query, as it only takes a minute for a one off manual setup
Old 11-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard

PS A Quick search of virginmedia forum finds much outrage and upset to do with,bonjour and airplay not working or not supported. I think we have enough for a guilty verdict on the router