Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 11:07 PM   #646
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Take some pictures!
h2o(left) vs pw3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	160966  
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:10 PM   #647
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
Take some pictures!
pw3(left) vs oasis 2
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	207
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	160967  
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #648
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yes, my mistake, I was thinking "white" leds which are either blue or uv based, probably blue to make it cheaper.
My question is whether there really is uv light or just blue. Blue upsets melatonin levels, which messes with your circadian rhythm, but uv can damage your eyes. Big difference. I tried briefly to find the specs for the leds but was unsuccessful.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:17 PM   #649
vostro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Take some pictures!
aura one (left) vs oasis 2
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	212
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	160969  
Old 12-26-2017, 11:19 PM   #650
ellenoc
Author
ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Vostro's pix are what ones of my PW1 and Oasis would probably look like. (I don't have the PW any more, but it's screen was very white.) In real life I saw no blotchiness like that, though. My Voyage had a blindingly white screen. That and the fake buttons were what I didn't like about it. It's gone now too, traded back to Amazon when I got the Oasis 2.

So now I have Oasis 1 as a backup and traveling Kindle and Oasis 2 as everyday reader at home. Both have screens that are more cream colored and IMO easier on the eyes.
ellenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 11:29 PM   #651
vostro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenoc View Post
Vostro's pix are what ones of my PW1 and Oasis would probably look like.
pw3(left) vs pw1
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	172
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	160970  
Old 12-27-2017, 01:11 AM   #652
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Not true, only if you are in inverted mode. Black text with white background turns light off at 0. You might need to update to 5.9.2 for this, cannot remember if the FW that shipped turned light off.
Frontlight completely off at 0 for dark text on light background firmware 5.9.0.6, fresh out of the box put into airplane mode ASAP.

I don't know why the falsehood that the light can't be completely turned off keeps getting repeated.

On November 20th, I posted a picture of an Oasis 2 next to a Voyage in a dark room with both frontlights set at 0. The exposure is a full second at F2.8. There is no light at all coming from the Oasis. At frontlight 1, the Oasis is quite a bit brighter than the Voyage at frontlight 1.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292336
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:29 AM   #653
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Frontlight completely off at 0 for dark text on light background firmware 5.9.0.6, fresh out of the box put into airplane mode ASAP.

I don't know why the falsehood that the light can't be completely turned off keeps getting repeated.

On November 20th, I posted a picture of an Oasis 2 next to a Voyage in a dark room with both frontlights set at 0. The exposure is a full second at F2.8. There is no light at all coming from the Oasis. At frontlight 1, the Oasis is quite a bit brighter than the Voyage at frontlight 1.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292336
I think this post would be total falsehood!
Perhaps your eyes aren't light sensitive enough to see, but I can clearly see light coming out of the Oasis and Paperwhite, at setting zero, even in a very similar,bit not totally dark room!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:30 AM   #654
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vostro View Post
h2o(left) vs pw3
I used to own the previous H2O, and loved it.
I also loved my book, which was hated by lots, but worked quite well for me!
Old 12-27-2017, 03:45 AM   #655
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I think this post would be total falsehood!
Perhaps your eyes aren't light sensitive enough to see, but I can clearly see light coming out of the Oasis and Paperwhite, at setting zero, even in a very similar,bit not totally dark room!
No, it isn't. My Oasis is also completely dark with the light at zero, not even a glimmer. My Voyage isn't, so yes, I can tell the difference.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #656
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
DPI has been less of an issue in most cases indeed. I have a 320x240 pix LED ebook reader, and can read ebooks fine on it.
The main issue is when you get font sizes below 10pt, they noticeably become grainier.
10-12 pt was the smallest on that 320x240 pix device to read, and I believe 7pt is about the smallest you can read on modern e-ink screens.

The larger the size, the lower the DPI is, to give similar imagery (eg: the Oasis has a 7" 300DPI screen, which would be harder to read, than a 14" screen at 150DPI.
Either screen will be able to display a minimum pt of around 7pt, but the 14" will look significantly grainier, despite it being easier to read.

DPI becomes an issue when trying to squeeze as much text in a window as possible.
For people who have good eyes, 300DPI is good, but 200DPI or below is barely able to show fluid (non-jagged) text lines.
Could you expand on the bolded part, please? I'm not sure what you are trying to say, as I think the opposite is true: if you are displaying a font at 7pt (with no zooming), it is going to look better (easier to read) on the a 300 DPI screen than a 150 DPI screen, regardless of screen size, all other things being equal.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #657
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No, it isn't. My Oasis is also completely dark with the light at zero, not even a glimmer. My Voyage isn't, so yes, I can tell the difference.
I tested my Oasis 2 in a closet with the door closed with my eyes dark adjusted and also could see no sign of light at the zero setting. My Paperwhite 2 produces noticeable light at the same setting.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #658
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
There is zero light if set at zero from Oasis1 and Oasis2. Period.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #659
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Hmm.. I stand corrected.
Went into a totally dark closet, and it was indeed dark.
There was a slight reflection in the room I was before,
It was very dimly lit, and I had the impression the leds were really low.
The paperwhite does give off light, even at lowest setting.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #660
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Could you expand on the bolded part, please? I'm not sure what you are trying to say, as I think the opposite is true: if you are displaying a font at 7pt (with no zooming), it is going to look better (easier to read) on the a 300 DPI screen than a 150 DPI screen, regardless of screen size, all other things being equal.
My apologies, I wasn't very clear on that one,
I meant to say that a 300DPI 7" screen gives trouble in reading, rather because the pixels are too small, than a larger (eg:14"), lower resolution (150DPI) screen where pixels become an issue.
At 150dpi, and quadruple the screen estate, the screen contents become more grainy, but font should become easier to see due to it being twice as large.

From a perspective that 7pt remains the same size on a large or small screen, yes, then the 150dpi screen will display the worst imagery.
However if the screen layout remains the same, and the text becomes twice as large on the 14" 150DPI screen, it'll be easier to read than the 7pt text on the 7" 300DPI screen.

I think what I'm saying is, that nowadays, DPI is good enough; even with 150DPI screens, the pixels are so small, that the smallest font readable, will be well below what you'd want to set your ereader to.
Our main issue is screen estate.
I would probably prefer a 9" 200DPI screen, than a 7" 300DPI screen; even if there are more pixels on the 7" screen.

Most regular books found in the store are about 8 to 9 inch.
Any ebook reader below that, is kind of scaling down the text or imagery, to fit their cramped, small screen.