Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The 2017 Annual Reading Challenge List Thread

2017 Reading Challenge List Thread

Welcome to our 8th Annual Reading Challenge!

The Annual Reading Challenge is neither a race, contest, nor an "exclusive club", anyone can join! This is just a fun activity that some of us have enjoyed doing in the past. Many of us have found reading challenges to be an entertaining way to set goals for ourselves, get ideas for books, and see what others are reading.

This thread is for you to keep a running tally for your chosen challenge. I would request that you please state your goals at the top of your post (in the title line if you can), and then start your list in the body of your post. As you read books, edit your post to update your list of books read.

[Please Remember: No discussion posts in this thread. Please use the other thread for that. Non-List posts will be deleted or moved to the other thread]

Discussions & Ideas can be found here: 2017 Annual Reading Challenge Discussion Thread

Post #2 of this thread is dedicated to a Table of Contents for all participants in this thread. Names will be added, to this TOC, in alphabetical order with a link to that individual’s post number from this thread.

Previous threads were for 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2010

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-30-2016 at 03:12 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[Please Remember: No discussion posts in this thread. Please use the 2017 Annual Reading Challenge Discussion Thread for that. Non-List posts will be deleted or moved to the Discussion Thread]

Table of Participants

(Participants will be listed by user name in alphabetical order)
54 Participants .

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-13-2017 at 03:07 AM. Reason: added up to Quake1028
Advert
Old 11-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Keep Reading!

As stated in the MobileRead Annual Reading Challenge, 2017! thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I want to thank you, again, Paul for taking the time to set up and moderate the Annual Reading Challenge threads. Your work and dedication are greatly appreciated!

My goal for 2017 is to read. Read, read, read.

As a recently returned college student, full-time substitute teacher, and mother of teens, it is easy to let everyday life take over even the simplest of pleasures. This was the case in 2016. I concentrated on everything else and let my joy of leisure reading slip by the wayside.

So, while I do have a challenge or two in which I'd like to participate, my main goal for 2017 is to just read!
For more details on sub challenges and individual reviews: My MobileRead Thread on GoodReads.

Books Read this Year:

January:
  • Midnight Riot (aka Rivers of London); Peter Grant/Rivers of London Book#1 - 4 stars
  • The Home Crowd Advantage - 3 stars (Peter Grant/Rivers of London #1.5 - short story) (No review)
  • Moon Over Soho; Peter Grant/Rivers of London Book #2 - 3 stars

February:

N/A

March:
  • Teachers, Schools, and Society: A Brief Introduction to Education [University Textbook] - 5 stars

April:

N/A

May:
  • Written in Red; The Others Book #1 - 5 stars
  • REREAD: Midnight Riot (aka Rivers of London); Peter Grant/Rivers of London Book#1 - 4 stars
  • Murder of Crows; The Others Book #2 - 4 stars
  • REREAD: Moon Over Soho; Peter Grant/Rivers of London Book #2 - 3 stars

June:

July:

August:

September:

October:

November:

December:

Last edited by Nyssa; 05-20-2017 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Updating Info
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:07 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

To end 2017 with fewer unread books

I started 2016 with 780 unread books. I ended 2016 with 827 unread books, an increase of 47.
But according to calibre, I ended with 1181 unread books — I think I added some previously ignored or discarded books to my TBR pile.
Further checks show that I really started 2017 with 1162 unread books. I found 19 books not marked as read that I had read.
And next I decided to expand a five volume omnibus previously counted as one book, so I started with 1166

My goal is to end 2017 with fewer than (1166-47) = 1119 unread ebooks.
I start 2017 with 1166 books on my TBR pile.

Books finished in 2017
  1. December 29th: Analog SFF, Jan/Feb 2017 edited by Trevor Quachri - £3.98 - 4/5 - 334pp
    A good issue as usual. The cover-story novella, "The Proving Ground" by Alex Nevala-Lee, was an interesting ecological unexpected side-effects story. There were four novellettes: "Twilght's Captives" by Christopher L. Bennett was a well done distant-future culture clash between humans and aliens. "The Shallowest Waves" was near-future human interest and space exploration in two time periods. It didn't do it for me. "After the Harvest, Before the Fall" is a distant future dystopia of humans farmed for replacement bodies. It just didn't make sense to me. "Whending My Way Back Home" continues (or starts?) the adventures of Martin and his AI companion Archie as they try to manipulate time to get back their home time stream. It will be better when put in novel form with other episodes. Ten(!) short stories, of which my favourites were "Briz" by Jay Werkheiser and "Dall's Last Message" by Antha Ann Adkins, which were both alien-only stories. The Probability Zero "Throw Me a Bone" was a fun paleontology story. The various non-fiction was OK, but I skipped the poetry as usual.
  2. January 5th: Grantville Gazette #69 edited by Walt Boyes - £3.18 - 4/5 - 158pp
    Another good issue. It started off with "Drumline" a nice 'fiction from Grantville' in a light wrapper by David Carrico, who also had "Etude, Part 3" in the issue - another installment about the Organ building Bach family.
    Kerry Offord and Rick Boatright gave us "Dr Phil Rules the Waves", another splendid Dr Gribbleflotz story, although he was in the background, and it concentrated on his Theramin-building employee.
    The weakest story in the issue for me was "Good German Axes" by Tim Roesch. A blacksmith's family dynamics.
    "A Szekler in a Kilt" was an interesting look at the situation in Transylvania by Gábor Szántai. The flow could have been improved.
    Finally, "The Long Road Home, Part 2" was more about Sergeant Hartmann from Nick Lorance.
    (There were three more non-fiction articles I mostly skipped.)
  3. January 6th: Impervious by Laura Kirwan - Free - 3/5 - 291pp
    It seemed that everyone had some childhood trauma to explain their bad behaviour. And I wasn't really taken with any of the characters, or the magical setup. All in all, just "OK". I won't be bothering with the others in this series.
  4. January 7th: F&SF, Jan/Feb 2017 edited by C C Finlay - £1.98 - 4/5 - 242pp
    A good issue. "Homecoming", a novella by Rachel Pollack featuring Jack Shade, set in our universe with hidden magic was very good. There were four novelets: "Vinegar and Cinnamon" by Nina Kiriki Hoffman was a wonderful siblings story. "One Way" is an interesting invention based SF story, but the idea deserves a larger setting. "Dunnage for the Soul" by Robert Reed involves an idea that I'm sure I've come across before - perhaps he's used it elsewhere. "There Used to Be Olive Trees" by Rich Larson seems to be packing too much backstory into a novelet. Five short stories: "The Regression Test" by Wole Talabi was an interesting exploration of future AI developments. "A Gathering on Gravity's Shore" by Gregor Hartmann seemed to be snipped out of a larger work. Or will work better as part of a larger work. "On the Problem of Replacement Children" by Debbie Urbanski was heart breaking. "Alexandria" had inserts of quotes from the future of the story, which didn't quite work for me. The poems and non-fiction I mostly skipped, although the one of brainless robots was good.
  5. January 10th: The Long Cosmos by Terry Prachett and Stephen Baxter - £0.99 - 4/5 - 355pp
    An enjoyable conclusion. Although the idea that our heroes would be the ones getting to go on the adventure again is more fantastic than anything in the whole series. The whole series feels more like Stephen Baxter than Terry Pratchett, but that's probably because I expect that it is. Although some of the ideas are very Prachettian.
  6. January 13th: Time and Again by Clifford D. Simak - £1.49 - 3/5 - 232pp
    An odd time war with no evidence that the past can actually be changed. An unconvincing and thin reason for the time war too. And a completely mysterious something that is very much underplayed. Not his best.
  7. January 16th: Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson - £0.99 - 4/5 - 384pp
    Set in the Mistborn universe, this is a direct sequel to The Allow of Law. But while that book worked quite well with only a vague remembrance of the earlier trilogy, this book brings back in elements from the earlier books in a big way, and I feel that I would have got much more out of it if I had re-read the earlier books first. Apart from that, very good indeed. I'm just pondering whether I should re-read the earlier trilogy before going on to the final volume of this one.
  8. January 20th: Storm Front by Jim Butcher - £0.99 - 4/5 - 234pp
    For a very competent wizard, Harry seems to be rather incompetent at life. I'm not sure I believe the world-building at all. But on the whole, an above-average urban fantasy.
  9. January 23rd: Scotland Yard's First Cases by Joan Lock - Free - 2/5 - 212pp
    [ABANDONED An uninteresting overview of the setting up of the City Police and the detectives at Scotland Yard, along with the cases they handled. Too dry for me.]
  10. January 24th: Firefight by Brandon Sanderson - £0.99 - 4/5 - 324pp
    A good second book in the series. We find out some more about Epic powers, and I'm still interested in finding out more in the next volume.
  11. January 26th: Calamity by Brandon Sanderson - £0.99 - 4/5 - 331pp
    A satisfying conclusion to the series, even if it's only at the end that I can spot all the clues I missed along the way to the Prof's weakness.
  12. January 27th: Wolf Time by Lars Walker - Free - 3/5 - 227pp
    I can't believe in the dystopia depicted, but some of the mythology was good. I find I had read this before, but I'd forgotten all except one incident.
  13. January 30th: Forever Odd by Dean Koontz - £0.99 - 4/5 - 283pp
    A strangely compelling fantasy mystery. I'm very glad I bought these, and I'l looking forward to the next one, in due course.
  14. January 31st: The Stolen Voice by Pat McIntosh - £0.84 - 4/5 - 237pp
    Another excellent book, that kept me reading later than I'd intended a couple of nights. I like the feeling I get that the characters are genuinely of their time, not just 21st century characters in historical costume.
  15. February 3rd: Anti-Grav Unlimited by Duncan Long - Free - 2/5 - 168pp
    Read before, so skipped a lot. Far too melodramatic and with too much just dumped in it. E.g. cloned humans brought to maturity in less than five years. And that's just a throw-away.
  16. February 4th: The Poisoned Bride and Other Judge Dee Mysteries translated by Robert H. van Gulik - Free - 3.5 - 223pp
    A translation of a Chinese original, it works surprisingly well as a mystery story. My edition lacks the promised translators postscript. But I'm looking forward to the authors original works based on the same characters as in these stories.
  17. February 5th: Unleashed by Sara Humphreys - Free - 1/5 - 271pp
    [ABANDONED. A paranormal romance, but the paranormal is done with infodump and no real interest in that aspect at all.]
  18. February 6th: Adventures of Lucifer Jones, Vol. 1 by Mike Resnick - Free - 2/3 - 160pp
    [ABANDONED. I don't like the style, the character or the humour.]
  19. February 6th: The Clan Wars Books 1&2 by Peter Morwood - Free - 4/5 - 448pp
    An excellent fantasy of warriors and magic, with a rather poor wrapping device of a story teller from some centuries after the main story. Most enjoyable, and a reasonable conclusion after the two books in this omnibus.
  20. February 9th: The Lives of Tao by Wesley Chu - £1.29 - 3/5 - 316pp
    Almost brilliant, but the time scales of the aliens mean their motivations are ridiculous.
  21. February 12th: The Black Wolves of Boston by Web Spencer - £4.69 - 5/5 - 468pp
    An absolutely splendid urban fantasy. Very, very good.
  22. February 14th: The Last Vampire by Whitley Streiber - £3.57 - 2/5 - 281pp
    An odd book that could have been brilliant, but wasn't. Rather too many inconsistent plot points, and the usual failing when trying to write about a much more intelligent character than the author. I won't be getting the other volumes in this series.
  23. February 17th: Analog SFF, Mar/Apr 2017 edited by Trevor Quachri - £3.98 - 3/5 - 351pp
    Only average overall. The cover story, Nexus by Michael F. Flynn was only OK. I didn't really like the style or the unexplained coincidences. The other novella, Plaisir d'Amour by John Alfred Taylor, on the other hand, was excellent. There were three novelettes: Europa's Survivors by Marianne J. Dyson was implausible and with an obvious endings. Host by Eneasz Brodski was interestingly ambiguous, but a bit depressing. The Human Way by Tony Ballantyne was OK, but no more. Given the technology shown, the economics didn't make sense. Nine Short Stories: Six of which are time travel stories, only one of which is worth mentioning: Alexander's Theory of Special Relativity by Shane Halbach. An excellent love story involving time travel gone wrong. (The others were all rather trite.) Of the other shorts, Unbearable Burden by Gwendolyn Clare was a very good look at AI from the AI's point of view, Concerning the Devestation Wrought by the Nefarious Gray Comma and Its Ilk: A Men in Tie-Dye Adventure by Tim McDaniel should have been shortened to a Probability Zero story, and Ecuador vs. the Bug-Eyed Monsters by Jay Werkheiser had too many implausible hidden things going on.
  24. February 21st (finished): Callahan's Con by Spider Robinson (paper) - Free - 3/5 - 286pp
    Barely three stars. The problems with it are that the peril is all contrived and/or trivial, their wonderful abilities are not properly utilized, and they are too powerful to have real problems any more. Except those they have and aren't solving properly.
  25. February 21st: Does a Bear Shoot in the Woods? by Wen Spencer - Free - 5/5 - 38pp
    Excellent. Set in The Black Wolves of Boston universe.
  26. February 22nd: Triple Crown by Felix Francis - £0.99 - 3/5 - 279pp
    Not up to his father's work, sadly.
  27. February 23rd: Asimov's SF, Mar/Apr 2017, edited by Sheila Williams - £3.98 - 4/5 - 319pp
    Overall, a good issue. One Novella, "Tao Zero" by Damien Broderick. An odd style, skipping between viewpoints and slight back and forth in time. It was OK. Four Novelettes. "Soulmates.com" by Will McIntosh was excellent — AI and dating sites. "Three can keep a secret..." by Bill Johnson & Gregory Frost was good — A futuristic thriller with a master of disguise. "Kitty Hawk" by Alan Smale was an alternate history and not really to my taste. "The Wisdom of the Group" by Ian R. MacLeod was an unsatisfying tale of hubris. Eight Short stories. Notable were "Cupido" by Rich Larson, a rather good love story; and "After the Atrocity" by Ian Creasey, which looks at personal responsibility.
  28. February 26th: The Game by Diana Wynne Jones - £0.99 - 3/5 - 125pp
    A fun look at myths in the modern world, but if you're going to include astronomical info, don't get it wrong (comet tail info only half right).
  29. February 27th: Sea Lord by Bernard Cornwell - £0.99 - 4/5 - 256pp
    An enjoyable mystery/adventure/romance. It was reminiscent of a Dick Francis novel, but with boats instead of horses!
  30. February 28th: The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner - £0.99 - 4/5 - 185pp
    A rather good fantasy, although it ends rather abruptly.
  31. March 1st: Cat among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie - £0.63 - 4/5 - 235pp
    A most satisfying mystery, with Poirot coming in at the end to clear things up.
  32. March 2nd: GrantVille Gazette #70 edited by Walt Boyes - £3.18 - 4/5 - 155pp
    Six stories and a couple of fact articles that I skipped and an opinion piece by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. "The Marshal Comes To Suhl" by Mike Watson was well written, but the heros seemed to have too easy a time IMO. "Even Monsters Die" by Eric S. Brown and A.G. Carpenter was very sad, and setting up for further sadness. But well done. "A Little Help From His Friends" by Nick Lorance was another good instalment about Sergeant Hartmann. "The Monster Under the Bed" by Tim Roesch was a snippet about mental health, and I want more. "NESS: Krystalnacht on the Schwarza Express" by Bjorn Hasseler was an enjoyable story about the private security firm. "Letters From Gronow, Episode 1" by David Carrico was an excellent start to a story about the impact of dark fantasy and eldritch horror.
  33. March 3rd: F&SF, Mar/Apr 2017 edited by C. C. Finlay - £1.98 - 4/5 - 237pp
    One novella, "The Man Who Put the Bomp" by Richard Chwedyk. Another wonderful installment about the 'saurs. And showing there's more to some fo them than it first seemed. The Novelets, "Driverless" by Robert Grossback, an excellent extrapolation about driverless cars and driverless car companies; "Ten Half-Pennies" by Matthew Hughes, an excellent fantasy story about trust and loyalty. "The Avenger" by Albert E. Cowdrey, a slightly uneven story about a extraordinary Attorney at Law with magical or psychic powers. Four short stories: "The Toymaker's Daughter" by Arundhati Hazra with a lovely fantasy premise that had an unbelievable outcome; "A Green Silk Dress and a Wedding-Death" by Cat Hellisen, which was a very good traditional fantasy story in many ways; "Miss Cruz" by James Sallis which was a short short and seemed to need more; finally "Daisy" by Eleanor Arnason, a cute story about a PI, gangsters, and an octopus.
  34. March 4th: The Tau Manifesto by Michael Hartl - £8.51 - 5/5 - 44pp
    An excellent argument. Read it yourself online at http://tauday.com/tau-manifesto
  35. March 4th: The Moon of Gomrath by Alan Garner - £0.99 - 3/5 - 133pp
    Good, but let down, for me, by the very sudden ending.
  36. March 6th: 1636: The Ottoman Onslaught by Eric Flint - £4.12 - 5/5 - 572pp
    So nice to be back with the main line of the story again!
  37. March 8th: Snapshot by Brandon Sanderson - £2.49 - 4/5 - 80pp
    A nice little SF murder mystery
  38. March 8th: Code of Conduct by Kristine Smith - Free - 3/5 - 330pp
    A bit of a mess. Loads of back story to be given to us, and a hero who is amazingly competent, except when it's convenient for the plot. Fun enough to finish, but not to look for more.
  39. March 12th: The Xibalba Murders by Lyn Hamilton - Free - 2/5 - 214pp
    [ABANDONED. I didn't like the form. I can't believe the hero.]
  40. March 14th: The Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson - £1.99 - 5/5 - 365pp
    An excellent adventure. I want to read the original trilogy now!
  41. March 16th: Sorcery and Cecelia by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Syevermer - £0.63 - 5/5 - 232pp
    An excellent YA regency fantasy.
  42. March 18th: The Grand Tour by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Syevermer - £0.63 - 5/5 - 307pp
    A most enjoyable new fantasy adventure, carrying on from the previous volume.
  43. March 20th: The Snake, the Dog and the Crocodile by Elizabeth Peters - £0.84 - 5/5 - 353pp
    Another enjoyable adventure with the Emersons.
  44. March 23rd: The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha Christie - £0.63 - 5/5 - 180pp
    Five short mysteries, four solved by Poirot, and one by Miss Marple. All excellent, but especially the title story.
  45. March 24th: The Mislaid Magician by Patricia C. Wrede - £0.63 - 5/5 - 270pp
    An excellent follow-up to the earlier novels. Great fun.
  46. March 27th: Rats and Gargoyles by Mary Gentle - £1.49 - 2/5 - 379pp
    [ABANDONED at 60%. I just didn't want to read it.]
  47. March 30th: The Scholast in the Low Waters Kingdom by Max Gladstone - Free - 4/5 - 16pp
    A short in a new series. Recovery from high tech interstellar/multi-universe disaster. Interesting.
  48. March 30th: Sympathy for the Devil by Holly Lisle - Free - 3/5 - 195pp
    Fantasy/romance in which Heaven & Hell are real and (some) prayers are answered. OK.
  49. April 1st: Satan in St Mary's by Paul Doherty - £0.33 - 4/5 - 155pp
    An interesting start to a series set around 1284 in London, a period I know little about, so I can't comment properly on historical accuracy, but I didn't notice any glaring errors. There are a few obvious minor errors in the text that should have been caught by a copy editor.
  50. April 2nd: Dance of the Goblins by Jaq D Hawkins - Free - 4/5 - 188pp
    An enjoyable story of a future fantasy world
  51. April 3rd: Way Station by Clifford D. Simak - £0.99 - 4/5 - 201pp
    A very good story of a keeper of a stage on a galactic travel route.
  52. April 4th: Mira's Last Dance by Lois McMaster Bujold - £2.49 - 5/5 - 90pp
    Excellent. An immediate continuation from the last novella.
  53. April 5th: 1636: Mission to the Mughals by Eric Flint and Griffin Barber - £4.69 - 5/5 - 384pp
    An excellent push on a separate front. Most interesting.
  54. April 6th: Messenger of Zhuvastou by Andrew J Offutt - Free - 2/5 - 304pp
    [ABANDONED]Just not good enough to spend my time on it.
  55. April 7th: Demoniac Dance by Jaq D Hawkins - Free - 3/5 - 179pp
    OK, but the characters don't grab me, and the situation just doesn't ring true.
  56. April 9th: A Wizard of Mars, NME by Diane Duane - £1.83 - 4/5 - 347pp
    Another good tale. Not much (at all?) changed from the original, as the time lines converge.
  57. April 15th: Warleggan by Winston Graham - £1.19 - 5/5 - 357pp
    Excellent pre-Napoleonic Cornish historical drama
  58. April 19th: Cutting Corners by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller - Free - 5/5 - 14pp
    A nice short about a minor characters with hints of the bigger story going on.
  59. April 19th:Holmes on the Range by Steve Hockensmith - £2.42 - 5/5 - 303pp
    An excellent western mystery. Most enjoyable.
  60. April 21st: Split Second by David Baldacci - £0.99 - 4/5 - 374pp
    An interesting mystery, although the villain wasn't convincing.
  61. April 23rd: Asimov's SF, May/June 2017 edited by Sheila Williams - £3.98 - 3/5 - 294pp
    There's one novella, which is really novel sized. The Runabout by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. Part of her diving series, and while I enjoyed it, I'd rather have novels as separate books, and keep the magazines for shorter works.
    There are two Novelettes. Come As You Are by Dale Bailey is a future drug scene exploration, and was OK, but not really to my taste. Night Fever by Will Ludwigsen is an alternate history of Charles Manson. Alternate history is only fun if you're know the big of history they doing an alternate for. Otherwise they're just rather dull fiction. I gave up half way. Definitely not for me.
    The short stories were "On The Ship" by Leah Cypress, a long term interstellar voyage story which was OK, "Good Show" by William Preston, a rather fun look at a film reviewer and some ?aliens?, "The Escape of the Adastra: Asha's Story" by James Gunn, a generation-ship story which I found hard to suspend disbelief on, "Tired of the Same Old Quests?", and amusing fantasy about role-playing games, "The Best Man" by Jay O'Connell, an odd dystopia, "Triceratops" by Ian McHugh, a odd story that features other human species brought back from extinction, but doesn't go anywhere, "Persephone of the Crows" by Karen Jay Fowler, reverse changlings, but I didn't really like it.
  62. April 26th: A Burden Shared by Jo Walton - Free - 3/5 - 8pp
    An interesting idea, but I don't believe the society or reactions
  63. April 27th: Crown in Darkness by Paul Doherty - £0.33 - 4/5 - 152pp
    Another good historical mystery, fitting into the gaps of history. But I fear I know Edinburgh a little bit better than the author - there's no way one would go towards Arthur's Seat when going from Holyrood abbey to the castle!
  64. April 28th: Shadow Magic by Patricia C. Wrede - £0.48 - 3/5 - 202pp
    An OK first novel. An interesting authors note showing how the first chapter was updated. But clearly not her best work. But fun, and good enough to want to read the rest, especially after I enjoyed the Cecelia and Kate novels so much.
  65. April 30th: Analog SF, May/June 2017 edited by Trevor Quachri - £3.98 - 3/5 - 345pp
    The Novella was "The Girls with Kaleidoscope Eyes" by Howard V Hendrix. A rather unconvincing 'Midwich Cuckoos' type of scenario.
    Three Novelettes, "To See the Elephant" by Julie Novakova which was interesting but also unconvincing for me, "The Final Nail" by Stanley Schmidt where I couldn't beleive the antagonist, and "Kepler's Law" by Jay Werkheiser, a colonisation story which I also found unconvincing.
    15 (!) short stories, of which I'll only mention two. "The Chatter of Monkeys" by Bond Elam, a rather wonderful post-apocalypse story. "Ténéré" by Manny Frishberg and Edd Vick was an interesting cultural clash story.
  66. May 2nd: Imperative by Steve White & Charles E. Gannon - £2.40 - 3/5 - 449pp
    OK, and as expected, but it didn't compel me to read it as much as previous volumes. Ends half-way through the war, so I'll be looking out for the next one.
  67. May 3rd: Draco Malfoy and the Practice of Rationality by taogaming - Free - 4/5 - ???pp
    A most enjoyable fan-fic sequel to the fan-fic Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
  68. May 8th: F&SF, May/June 2017 edited by C. C. Finlay - £1.98 - 3/5 - 246pp
    Four Novelets and seven short stories. The only ones worth mentioning are "The Prognosticant" by Matthew Hughes, another in his fantasy universe, "The Woman with the Long Black Hair" by Zach Shepard, a goddess story, "My English Name" by R S Benedict, even though I didn't really like it, and "Neko Brushes", a splendid Japanese fantasy.
  69. May 9th: The Chaos Gate by Josepha Sherman - 2.40 - 2/5 - 243pp
    [ABANDONED]A generic fantasy that didn't catch my interest.
  70. May 10th: Unforgettable by Eric James Stone - £2.38 - 4/5 - 230pp
    One completely impossible premise, and a rather nice story from it.
  71. May 12th: Gods of Sagittarius by Eric Flint & Mike Resnick - £2.40 - 2/5 - 288pp
    Not for me. Too much Resnick, not enough Flint
  72. May 12th: Grantville Gazette #71 edited by Bjorn Hasseler - £3.60 - 4/5 - 187pp
    The usual mix, with the addition of a couple of non-related stories.
  73. May 13th: Darkship Revenge by Sarah A. Hoyt - £2.40 - 5/5 - 230pp
    A splendid next installment
  74. May 14th: The Gathering Edge by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller - £2.40 - 5/5 - 333pp
    Excellent, as usual
  75. May 14th: Hour Game by David Baldacci - £0.99 - 4/5 - 453pp
    A good read. A bit of a cliche at one point, but on the while I liked it a lot.
  76. May 16th: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson - Free - 5/5 - 563pp
    I liked it even better this time around, probably because I know the world a little better.
  77. May 20th: The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson - £1.81 - 5/5 - 696pp[INDENT]Again, even better this time around.[/I]
  78. May 21st: The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson - £8.65 - 5/5 - 678pp
    Yes, I liked it more this time.
  79. May 25th: Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire - Free - 4/5 - 126pp
    An interesting premise with potential
  80. May 25th: The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell - £1.99 - 5/5 - 294pp
    An excellent continuation of the story of Alfred the Great
  81. May 27th: Daughter of Witches by Patricia C. Wrede - £0.48 - 3/5 - 192pp
    There are still flaws, but very readable and I enjoyed it.
  82. May 29th: On the Wrong Track by Steve Hockensmith - Free - 5/5 - 276pp
    Excellent fun. An excellent second novel in the series.
  83. May 30th: Ring Around the Sun by Clifford D. Simak - £1.49 - 3/5 - 190pp
    A little too much and too wordy and showing its age a little. But very interesting for the ideas, showing that some recent books aren't original in their main idea.
  84. June 1st: A Plague on Both Your Houses by Susanna Gregory - £0.99 - 5/5 - 279pp
    A good historical mystery, set at the time of the Black Death in Cambridge.
  85. June 2nd: Magic Casement by Dave Duncan - £1.49 - 4/5 - 297pp
    A fun fantasy, with an interesting magical system. But ends on a cliff-hanger.
  86. June 3rd: Fairy Lands Forlorn by Dave Duncan - £1.49 - 4/5 - 317pp
    The adventures continue, but again a cliff-hanger. Thus 4/5.
  87. June 7th: Perilous Seas by Dave Duncan - £1.49 - 4/5 - 318pp
    It's certainly keeping me reading!
  88. June 8th: Emperor and Clown by Dave Duncan - £1.49 - 5/5 - 363pp
    An finally a satisfying conclusion, Really one long book.
  89. June 10th: Brother Odd by Dean Koontz - £0.99 - 5/5 - 294pp
    OK story, but it's the style that earns it 5/5
  90. June 12th: The Harp of Imach Thyssel by Patricia C. Wrede - £0.48 - 3/5 - 193pp
    A rather more ordinary fantasy, but fun.
  91. June 13th: Spy in Chancery by Paul Doherty - £0.33 - 4/5 - 141pp
    Another very good mystery.
  92. June 15th: Dear Mr Holmes by Steve Hockensmith - Free - 5/5 - 174pp
    A splendid set of short stories about Big Red and Old Red.
  93. June 16th: The Mages Wars by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon - £1.69 - 4/5 - 814pp
    More three linked stories than a trilogy, but that's good. No cliffhanger between novels!
  94. June 21st: Asimov's SF, July/August 2017 edited by Sheila Williams - £2.49 - 3/5 - 317pp
    Two Novellas, "How Sere Picked Up Her Laundry" and "The Girl Who Stole Herself". Both far-future tales, but the societies and characters didn't really work for me. Three Novelettes, "Other Words and This One", a tale about the Many Worlds interpretation of Quantum Mechanics that just didn't go anywhere, "@Lantis", a weird near-ish future which also just didn't work for me and "Gale Strang", looking at transgender issues through the unexplained consciousness of a bird cage. Not really SF to my mind. And six short stories, "Annabelle, Annie", a look at an environmental generation gap, "An Evening with Severyn Grimes", a near-future crime story, "Transcendental Mission: Riley's Story", "Weighty Matters: Tordor's Story", two snippets from what will probably be a novel by James Gunn, "The Patient Dragon", a medium future crime novel, and "Field Studies", a near future look at homelessness with a hint of time travel.
    The two James Gunn stories were good, but cried out for the rest of the novel. "An Evening with Severyn Grimes" showed how poor the other crime-releated stories in the issue were.
  95. June 26th: Odd Hours by Dean Koontz - £0.99 - 5/5 - 269pp
    Great. I just wonder what he'll do to top this.
  96. June 29th: Analog SFF July/August 2017 edited by Trevor Quachri - £2.49 - 5/5 - 351pp
    The Novella, "Not Far Enough" was a look at Mars colonisation with some characters that have appeared in older stories. I think The Martian's unrealistic wind sequence my have influenced this one. I'm not convinced that Mars has a thick enough atmosphere to cause the problems shown. But it was fun. The novelettes: "For All Mankind" was a brilliant possible history story set in the days of the Apollo programme. "Belly Up" was an interesting story about far future criminal punishments, and interstellar relations. "Galleon" was a good look at an AI spaceship. "Across the Steaming Sea" was a fun adventure story set on a far-future Earth. The short stories: "The Fool's Stone" was a very good story set in alternate/possible history. "Teamwork" was a nice take on Mars colonisation. "Often and Silently We Come" was a strange but good tale of non-corporeal life forms. "The First Rule Is, You Don't Eat Your Friends" was a nice story about animal intelligence. "Alouette, Gentille Alouette" was a good story about near-future obital operations. "Fat Bubble" was a humorous look at relationships and investments. "Perspective" was a good near-future technological consequences story. "Clarity of Signal" was a refreshing story of the non-discovery of alien intelligence. "Pitch" was a bit odd. I'm not sure what it was. "Phuquiang: A History" was a pseudo-history of the far future, which was only OK. "Blinking Noon and Midnight" was a rather funny story of generational problems with technology. The Probability Zero "A Little Spooky Action" was a brilliant story involving an appearance of Einstein's spirit. I can't give less than 5/5/
  97. July 4th: Grantville Gazette #72 edited by Bjorn Hasseler - £3.60 - 4/5 - 143pp
    Fun stories, and even the non-fiction was interesting (if you like measurements). But this issue seemed a bit short.
  98. July 5th: Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer - £1.20 - 5/5 - 224pp
    A splendid romance. The destination is obvious, but the journey's great fun.
  99. July 6th: F&SF, July/August 2017 edited by C. C. Finlay - £1.98 - 4/5 - 246pp
    I really liked this issue. I think the new editor's picks are much more in tune with my taste in stories. There was only one story I didn't like - "An Obstruction to Delivery" - I just hated the writing style. But the rest were wonderful. "In a Wide Sky, Hidden", an SF tale of the far future. "The Masochist's Assistant", a splendid fantasy of manners and society. "The Bride in Sea-Green Velvet", a tale of the price of Lordship in a world with magic. "There Was a Crooked Man, He Flipped a Crooked House", fun with tesseracts. "A Dog's Story", fantasy about canine justice. "I Am Not I", a strange future where altered people rule the world. "Afiya's Song", an alternate history, and perhaps the poorest for me after An Obstruction to Delivery". And finally, "An Unearned Death" - a splendid fantasy setting and a good story.
  100. July 6th: Deadly Decisions by Kathy Reichs - £0.99 - 4/5 - 306pp
    An interesting series of events, although I'd prefer a little more clever analysis, and a little less action.
  101. July 10th: Sharpe's Fury by Bernard Cornwall - £0.99 - 5/5 - 403pp
    Sharpe does splendidly, again. Fun stuff, and the comments at the back about which bits are fiction are great.
  102. July 12th: All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders - £0.99 - 4/5 - 317pp
    An interesting mix of super science and magic. Ending a little weak and quick, otherwise 5/5.
  103. July 14th: The Day After Never by Nathan Van Coops - £0.99 - 3/5 - 320pp
    Interesting ideas, but a bit too hand-wavy, and I don't really like the main character.
  104. July 19th: The Spider by Norvell W. Page - £2.00 - 2/5 - 394pp
    [ABANDONED. Early 20th C crime pulp isn't for me.]
  105. July 20th: The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie - £0.43 - 4/5 - 294pp
    A nice little mystery. Good to see Mrs Oliver again.
  106. July 22nd: Interzone #215 by TTA Press Authors - £2.26 - 3/5 - 159pp
    A good range of stories, although terrible formatting. I might see if I can download a fresh copy from B&N.
  107. July 24th: Prince Ivan by Peter Morwood - £0.99 - 4/5 - 247pp
    A very good retelling of what sounds like an old folk tale, but with slightly more character than is usual. Most enjoyable.
  108. July 25th: The Last Herald Mage by Mercedes Lackey - £0.99 - 3/5 - 1056pp
    The hero is a bit whiny and needy, and the villain is unacceptably stupid towards the end.
  109. July 30th: Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keys - £0.99 - 5/5 - 214pp
    Slightly dodgy premise, but an excellent story.
  110. August 1st: Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward - £0.49 - 5/5 - 336pp
    Excellent 'hard' SF in the vein of Hal Clement.
  111. August 3rd: Caught in Crystal by Patricia C. Wrede - £0.48 - 4/5 - 271pp
    A little confusing at the start, but a good story.
  112. August 4th: Gilded Cage by Vic James - £1.19 - 2/5 - 261pp
    Readable, but the world-building and plot are tosh.
  113. August 7th: 1635: The Wars for the Rhine by Annette Pederson - £4.48 - 3/5 - 329pp
    More work needed to make it easily comprehensible.
  114. August 9th: Black Moon by Graham Winston - £0.99 - 5/5 - 406pp
    A really good historical melodrama
  115. August 10th: The Four Swans by Graham Winston - £0.99 - 5/5 - 421pp
    AN excellent continuation of the story.
  116. August 12th: The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede - £0.48 - 5/5 - 255pp
    A most enjoyable fantasy.
  117. August 14th: Reality Is Not What It Seems by Carlo Rovelli - £0.99 - 4/5 - 207pp
    An interesting overview of Physics known and speculative
  118. August 18th: Norse Myths by Neil Gaiman - £1.29 - 4/5 - 162pp
    A good, clear retelling.
  119. August 19th: The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side by Agatha Christie - £0.63 - 5/5 - 206pp
    An excellent murder mystery, and I got the solution just before Miss Marple!
  120. August 21st: Penric's Fox by Lois McMaster Bujold - £2.49 - 5/5 - 97pp
    Another excellent novella.
  121. August 21st: Analog Sf, September/October 2017 edited by Trevor Quachri - £2.49 - 4/5 - 347pp
    An excellent set of stories, bar two or three. "Heaven's Covenant" by Bud Sparhawk was one of the two and the longest, a tale of expansion through the universe using hibernation technology, with deliberately vague discrimination. "My Fifth and Most Exotic Voyage" by Edward M. Lerner was brilliant - time travel and Lemuel Gulliver. "i know my own & my own know me" by Tracy Canfield was also a wonderful tale of uplifted creatures -- including a cat. "The Old Man" by Rich Larson was the other I wasn't impressed by. A tale of rebellion and terrorism across generations, with ambiguity as to justification. "Orphans" by Craig DeLancey was a tale of interstellar travel, and an explanation of the Fermi Paradox. "The Sword of Damocles" by Norman Spinrad was an excellent alternative explanation for the Fermi Paradox, although I think the reason given for a lack of communication was very poor. "Ghostmail" by Eric Del Carlo was an OK Mil-SFish short story. "The First Trebuchet on Mars" by Marie Vibbert did just what the title say. Excellent. "Climbing Olympus" by Simon Kewin was another story whose title says is all (or nearly). Not as fun, and a bit predictable. "Emergency Protocol" by Lettie Prell was a good short short. @A Tinker's Damnation" by Jerry Oltion was a very good look at problems of technological dependence. "The Absence" by Robert R. Chase was a rather disappointing 'ghost' story. "Arp! Arp!" by Christina De La Rocha was a good marine technology story. "The Mathematician" by Tom Jolly was an excellent alien viewpoint/no humans story. "Coyote Moon" by James Van Pelt was an OK story of economic inequality. "Abductive Reasoning" by Christopher L. Bennett was an amusing look at a Ufologist's real close encounter. "Invaders" by Stanley Schmidt was an OK eclipse viewing story. "Victor Frankenstein's Bar and Grill and Twenty-Four-Hour Roadside Emporium by Michael F. Flynn Probability Zero story didn't quite live up to the promise of the title.
  122. August 22nd: Sharpe's Battle by Bernard Cornwell - £0.99 - 5/5 - 272pp
    Excellent, as usual.
  123. August 25th: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark - £0.99 - 2/5 - 98pp
    Not really my kind of thing.
  124. August 26th: The Coming of Wisdom by Dave Duncan - £1.49 - 5/5 - 342pp[INDENT]A fun fantasy. Leads straight into the final volume of the trilogy, so...[/I]
  125. August 28th: The Destiny of the Sword by Dave Duncan - £1.49 - 4/5 - 351pp
    A slightly unsatisfactory ending, but mostly very good.
  126. August 29th: Asimov's SF, September/October 2017 edited by Sheila Williams - £2.49 - 4/5 - 318pp
    Detailed review to follow
  127. August 30th: Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz - £0.99 - 5/5 - 307pp
    Strange and wonderful.
  128. September 3rd: Grantville Gazette #73 edited by Bjorn Hasseler - £3.60 - 5/5 - 200pp
    Excellent as usual
  129. September 5th: Fallen into the Pit by Ellis Peters - £0.99 - 5/5 - 347pp
    An excellent mystery, and an interesting contemporary look at post-war England.
  130. September 7th: Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton - £0.99 - 4/5 - 888pp
    Excellent but LONG
  131. September 19th: F&SF, September 2017 edited by C. C. Finlay - £1.98 - 4/5 - 251pp
    "Evil Opposite" by Naomi Kritzer was a promising but disappointing (IMO) look at a researcher's reactions to the multi-world theory of QM. "We Are Born" by Dare Segun Falowo was an odd fantasy set in Nigeria. "Tasting Notes on the Varietals of the Southern Coast" is (underneath) a rather good MilSf short centred on Wine. "The Care of House Plants" by Jeremy Minton is a disturbing look at future biotech. "The Hermit of Houston" by Samuel R. Delany I just didn't believe in at all. "On Highway 18" by Rebecca Campbell is an odd ghost story. "Hollywood Squid" by Oliver Buckram was a funny SF story, the best thing in the issue, IMO. "Still Tomorrow's Going to Be Another Working Day" by Amy Griswold is a good short on the problems of loans and biotech. "Bodythoughts" by Rahul Kanakia is an odd post-alien-war story. "Riddle" by Lisa Mason is a disturbing fantasy with the most famous riddler of antiquity. "Children of Xanadu" is a good SF again on biotech and ethics. "The Two-choice Foxtrot of Chapham County" by Tina Connolly is an interesting fantasy but had too many fantastical elements for me. "Starlight Express" by Michael Swanwick is a very good look at a far future when interstellar travel has come and gone.
  132. September 22nd: The Rose Rent by Ellis Peters - £0.99 - 4/5 - 234pp
    A good mystery and a romance.
  133. September 24th: Judas Unchained by Peter F Hamilton - £0.99 - 5/5 - 925pp
    An excellent conclusion to the story. But long enough to be two trilogies!
  134. October 6th: Sharpe's Company by Bernard Cornwall - £0.99 - 5/5 - 249pp
    One of the earlier published books. Excellent, and I especially like the afterword with notes on what's fiction and what's historical.
  135. October 11th: The Ruin of Angels by Max Gladstone - £1.66 - 5/5 - 473pp
    Excellent, again. Splendid fantasy with gods and magic.
  136. October 16th: The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn - £0.99 - 3/5 - 366pp
    It was a fun romp, but no real peril or involvement.
  137. October 24th: The Girl Who Drank The Moon by Kelly Barnhill - £0.99 - 4/5 - 255pp
    A very nice YA magic story in a fantasy world
  138. October 26th: Mortality by Christopher Hitchens - £0.99 - 3/5 - 75pp
    Essays written during his final illness.
  139. October 27th: The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson - £1.99 - 5/5 - 113pp
    An excellent short novel. Great magic and characters.
  140. October 28th: The Third Pig Detective Agency by Bob Burke - £0.78 - 3/5 - 105pp
    Almost very good, but in the end only just three stars.
  141. October 30th: The Hermit of Eyton Forest by Ellis Peters - £0.99 - 5/5 - 226pp
    Excellent, as usual.
  142. November 1st: The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi - £1.19 - 4/5 - 237pp
    An excellent start to a series, but clearly a start.
  143. November 4th: I am Legend by Richard Matheson - £0.99 - 3/5 - 163pp
    A little dated, but an interesting take on the Vampire Apocalypse.
  144. November 6th: The Forever War by Joe Haldeman - £0.99 - 4/5 - 258pp
    A little dated, but still very good.
  145. November 13th: Krondor: The Betrayal by Raymond E. Feist - £3.76 - 4/5 - 317pp
    A look at some missing years, worth a read.
  146. November 14th: The Prestige by Christopher Priest - £0.99 - 5/5 - 366pp
    So much better than the movie.
  147. November 15th: The Prisoner of Limnos by Lois McMaster Bujold - £2.49 - 5/5 - 143pp
  148. November 16th: Krondor: The Assassins by Raymoind E. Feist - £3.76 - 4/5 - 245pp
  149. November 17th: Grantville Gazette #74 edited by Bjorn Hasseler - £3.60 - 5/5 - 366pp
  150. November 19th: Poirot and Me by David Suchet - £0.99 - 4/5 - 268pp
    An interesting memoir. Could have done with a little more editing and proof reading.
  151. November 22nd: Analog SFF, November/December 2017 edited by Trevor Quachri - £2.49 - 5/5 - 342pp
    One Novella: "Native Seeds" by Catherine Wells. A good post-apocalypse look at the interactions between two groups of survivors.
    Three Novelettes: "Hybrid, Blue, by Firelight" by Bill Johnson. Interesting time travel concepts, but I'd prefer to have this story as a novel rather than a series of novelettes.
    "Keepsakes" by Kenneth Schneyer. OK, but hasn't explored the technology idea enough.
    "How Val Finally Escaped From The Basement" by Scott Edelman. Splendid first contact story.
    Fifteen short stories.
    "Laminated Moose Zombies And Other Road Maintenance Problems" by Dennis M. Flynn & Michael F. Flynn - A humorous look at the next pandemic.
    "Downsized" by Bud Sparhawk Retirement on a space station. But that's not the story...
    "New Teeth" by James Sallis - A strange one about alien possession.
    "Luscinia" by Robert Reed - An odd look at how someone might deal with immese wealth
    "Fermi’s Slime" by Tom Jolly - A very different but also good first contact story.
    "Quirks" by Marie Vibbert - A look at the labour market and skills copying.
    "Time Travel Is Only For The Poor" by S.L. Huang - A good story on what might happen if cryogenics ever worked.
    "Papoose Lake" by Richard A. Lovett - an excellent story on the dangers of what might be possible in terms of changing people's minds.
    "Hot Air" by Igor Teper - How to save the world. And what it cost. Excellent.
    "Kindle No Flame" by Stephen R. Loftus-Mercer - OK, but too improbable for me.
    "Two Hours At Frontier" by Sean Mcmullen - Splendid story about space exploration with stored minds.
    "Reentry" by Brendan Dubois - Good story about possible problems of private enterprise (in space).
    "Weaponized" by Jay O’Connell - A good story about trust in relationships.
    "Housekeeping, 100 Xp" by Brenta Blevins - Splendid story about future employment, lifestyles, and family.
    "And Then They Were Gone" by Ian Creasey - An interesting and odd story about uploading and mental health.
    Probability Zero: "The Pilgrimage" by Edward M. Lerner. Fun, but not as far-fetched as some of the short stories in this issue!
  152. November 29th: Starliner, 2nd Ed. by David Drake - Free - 3/5 - 244pp
    It didn't engage me as much as Drake's books usually do.
  153. December 4th: [I]Asimov's SF, November/December 2017 - £2.49 - 4/5 - 309pp[INDENT]Another good issue, full review to follow.
  154. December 8th: The One by John Marrs - £0.99 - 2/5 - 382pp
    Not very good. A disappointment.
  155. December 13th: Death and the Joyful Woman by Ellis Peters - £0.99 - 5/5 - 257pp
    An enjoyable first love/murder mystery. The clues are there!
  156. December 15th: Sharpe's Sword by Bernard Cornwell - £0.99 - 4/5 - 273pp
    Perhaps a little weaker than some of them. But still very good.
  157. December 18th: Dragon's Teeth by Mercedes Lackey - £2.40 - 4/5 - 502pp
    The new stories made me interested in her new series.
  158. December 19th: [I]F&SF, November/December 2017, edited by C. C. Finlay - £1.98 - 5/5 - 252pp
    Most enjoyable
  159. December 26th: A Pig of Cold Poison by Pat McIntosh - £0.99 - 5/5 - 235pp
    I like the mystery, the characters, and the depiction of period and place
  160. December 30th: The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss - £0.99 - 2/5 - 225pp
    Just not for me. I didn't find it amusing.

Books added to TBR in 2017

Freebies (24 + 1 replacement)
  1. Impervious by Laura Kirwan READ
  2. Clan Wars books 1 & 2 omnibus by Peter Morwood READ
  3. Scotland Yard's First Cases by Joan Lock ABANDONED
  4. Unleashed by Sara Humphreys ABANDONED
  5. Adventures: The Chronicles of Lucifer Jones Vol I. 1922-26 by Mike Resnick ABANDONED
  6. Does a Bear Shoot in the Woods? by Wen Spencer READ
  7. Callahan's Con by Spider Robinson (in paper) READ
  8. The Xibalba Murders by Lyn Hamilton ABANDONED
  9. Code of Conduct by Kristine Smith READ
  10. The Golden Horde by Peter Morwood
  11. The Scholast in the Low Waters Kingdom by Max Gladstone READ
  12. Dance of the Goblins by Jaq D Hawkins READ
  13. Demoniac Dance by Jaq D Hawkins READ
  14. Power of the Dance by Jaq D Hawkins DISCARDED
  15. Messenger of Zhuvastou by Andrew J. Offutt ABANDONED
  16. Cutting Corners by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller READ
  17. On the Wrong Track by Steve Hockensmith READ
  18. Dear Mr. Holmes by Steve Hockensmith READ
  19. A Burden Shared by Jo Walton READ
  20. Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire READ
  21. Draco Malfoy and the Practice of Rationality by taogaming READ
  22. Project One by E.C. Tubb
  23. Winter Time by Ruthanna Ellis
  24. Starliner, 2nd Ed by David Drake Replacing 1st Edition READ
  25. Truthwitch by Susan Dennard

Paper Books Bought (0)

Ebooks Bought
  • January (3/£13.67): F&SF January 2017, Grantville Gazette #69, The Tau Manifesto
  • February (9/£22.02): The Lives of Tao, The Black Wolves of Boston, The Game, The Ottoman Onslaught, The Moon of Gomrath (Brisingamen 2), Analog SFF March/April 2017, Asimov's SF March/April 2017, Triple Crown, Sea Lord
  • March (10/12.52): F&SF March/April 2017, Grantville Gazette #70, Snapshot, The Cecelia and Kate Novels (Sorcery & Cecelia, The Grand Tour, The Mislaid Magician), Closed Casket, The Hugh Corbett Omnibus (Satan in St Mary's, Crown in Darkness, Spy in Chancery)
  • April (17/31.14): The Mage Storms Omnibus, Bastion, 1636: Mission to the Mughals, Mira's Last Dance, Bella Poldark, King & Maxwell series of 6 (Split Second, Hour Game, Simple Genius, First Family, The Sixth Man, King and Maxwell), Holmes on the Range, Analog SFF May/June 2017, Asimov's SF May/June 2017, The Last Herald Mage, A Plague on Both Your Houses, The Pale Horseman
  • May (8/£19.96): Grantville Gazette #71, F&SF May 2017, The Gathering Edge, Darkship Revenge, The Gods of Sagittarius, Imperative, Unforgettable, The Chaos Gate
  • June (14/£17.35): 4xPoldark (The Stranger from the Sea, The Miller's Dance, The Loving Cup and The Twisted Sword), 3xSmiley (Call for the Dead, A Murder of Quality, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold), Tales of Old Russia 2, Prince of Darkness, Analog SFF July/August 2017, Asimov's SF July/August 2017, 1635:The Wars for the Rhine, The Prince and the Pilgrim, The Pigeon Tunnel
  • July (8/£12.02): Grantville Gazette #72, F&SF July 2017, Prince Ivan, All the Birds in the Sky, The Day After Never, Dragon's Egg, The Burning Land, Flowers for Algernon
  • August (17/£21.73): The Graveyard of the Hesperides, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Gilded Cage, The Night Manager, Norse Mythology, Reality is not what it seems, Analog SFF September/October 2017, Asimov's SF September/October 2017, Penric's Fox, 8 by Peter F. Hamilton (Pandora's Star, Judas Unchained, The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God, The Dreaming Void, The Temporal Void, The Evolutionary Void)
  • September (21/£25.06): Grantville Gazette #73, F&SF September 2017, 13 by Ellis Peters (Fallen into the Pit, Death and the Joyful Woman, Flight of a Witch, A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs, The Piper on the Mountain, Black is the Colour of My True Love's Heart, The Grass Widow's Tale, The House of Green Turf, Mourning Raga, The Knocker on Death's Door, Death to the Landlords, City of Gold and Shadows, Rainbow's End), The Ruin of Angels, The Icarus Hunt, Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass, The Secret Pilgrim
  • October (10/£13.50): Gallow's Thief, Jurassic Park, Knight of the Demon Queen, The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Catch-22, The Way of Kings, Analog SFF November/December 2017, Asimov's SF November/December 2017, The Girl Who Drank The Moon, A Delicate Truth
  • November (14/£20.18) Grantville Gazette #74, F&SF November 2017, The Collapsing Empire, I am Legend, Electric Dreams Vol 1, The Prestige, The Forever War, The Prisoner of Limnos, Poirot and Me, Empire Games, Diving Into The Wreck, City Of Ruins, Boneyards, The Attenbury Emeralds
  • December (10/£12.98): Snowdrift and Other Stories, The One, Camber of Culdi Trilogy (Camber of Culdi, Saint Camber, Camber the Heretic), Vegan: The Essential Christmas Cookbook, Analog SFF January/February 2018, Asimov's SF January/February 2018, "I, Claudius", The Vesuvius Club

Wishlist books (when on offer)
Spoiler:
  • The Just City (& sequels)
  • The Hanging Tree (& sequels)
  • Ancillary Sword
  • Ancillary Mercy
  • The Shepherd's Crown
  • The Woman Who Walked in Sunshine (Alexander McCall Smith)
  • Precious and Grace (Alexander McCall Smith)
  • Monster Hunter Memoirs: Sinners
  • any new 1632 books.
  • any new books by Wen Spencer
  • any new books by Lois McMaster Bujold
  • any new books by David Weber
  • any new books by David Drake
  • Dumarest Novels
  • Harper Hall trilogy
  • Chronicles of Amber, vol. 3 onwards
  • Deryni books
  • Earthsea books

Analysis
TBR: 1172
Books read: 160 (including 25 freebies, 8 abandoned, 3 re-reads)
Books otherwise removed from TBR pile: 2 (1 discarded, 1 non-book)

Books removed from TBR pile: 159 (including 25 freebies)
Books added to TBR pile: 163 (including 24 freebies)
Removed/Added: 0.98
Net reduction for 2017: -4

Non-free books read: 134
Total cost of books read: £243.11
Average cost of books read: £1.81

Non-free books bought: 141 (including 4 not added to TBR)
Total cost of books bought: £222.13
Average cost of books bought: £1.58

Rating System:
1: Bad.
2: Poor. (Or just not to my taste.)
3: Satisfactory.
4: Good.
5: Excellent.

Pages are as given by the ADE algorithm in Calibre, or from the Amazon web page.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-01-2018 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Abandoned The Vesuvius Club
Old 12-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Antebellum America; Classics

I keep my lists at Goodreads, because it's easier and has info on the books.

Books Read in 2017 Goal: 120

Antebellum America Goal: 15

Classics Goal:15

With other goals added as I see fit or become inspired.

Last edited by issybird; 12-14-2016 at 11:30 AM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #6
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
200 Books in 2017

not worth the hassle for the zero return...

Last edited by Ravensknight; 03-28-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
No Goal; Tally Only

January 2017
1. Triple Cross by Kit Ehrman
2. Louisiana Hotshot by Julie Smith
3. Enchanting the Beast by Kathryne Kennedy
4. Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich
5. Everlasting Enchantment by Kathryne Kennedy
6. The Exile by Diana Gabaldon (graphic novel)
7. Sentence of Marriage by Shayne Parkinson
8. Plum Lucky by Janet Evanovich
9. Caeser's Women by Colleen McCullough

February 2017
10. The Bridegroom Wore Plaid by Grace Burrowes
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (audiobook)
12. Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich
13. Once Upon a Tartan by Grace Burrowes
14. Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich
15. Louisiana Bigshot by Julie Smith
16. The MacGregor's Lady by Grace Burrowes
17. Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich
18. What a Lady Needs for Christmas by Grace Burrowes
19. Mud and Gold by Shayne Parkinson

March 2017
20. Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich
21. Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (audiobook)
22. The Twelve Dogs of Christmas by David Rosenfelt
23. Cobra War Trilogy by Timothy Zahn
24. Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich
25. Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich
26. Terry Spear's Wolf Bundle by Terry Spear
27. Louisiana Lament by Julie Smith
28. Settling the Account by Shayne Parkinson

April 2017
29. Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich
30. Cobra Slave by Timothy Zahn
31. Legend of the White Wolf by Terry Spear
32. Takedown Twenty by Janet Evanovich
33. Mean Woman Blues by Julie Smit
34. Seduced by the Wolf by Terry Spear
35. A Second Chance by Shayne Parkinson
36. Top Secret Twenty-One by Janet Evanovich
37. Wolf Fever by Terry Spear
38. The Replacement Wife by Eileen Goudge (paperback)

May 2017
39. Tricky Twenty-Two by Janet Evanovich
40. The Tenth Saint by D.J. Niko
41. Cobra Outlaw by Timothy Zahn
42. PI on a Hot Tin Roof by Julie Smith
43. Daisy's War by Shayne Parkinson
44. Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich
45. Dreaming of the Wolf by Terry Spear
46. Wicked Business by Janet Evanovich

June 2017
47. A Seal in Wolf's Clothing by Terry Spear
48. Progressive Dinner Deadly by Elizabeth Spann Craig
49. A Dyeing Shame by Elizabeth Spann Craig
50. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (audiobook)
51. A Body in the Backyard by Elizabeth Spann Craig
52. A SEAL Wolf Christmas by Terry Spear

July 2017
53. Death at a Drop-In by Elizabeth Spann Craig
54. Silence of the Wolf by Terry Spear
55. A Body at Book Club by Elizabeth Spann Craig
56. Highland Werewolf Boxed Set by Terry Spear
57. The Amazing Dr. Darwin by Charles Sheffield
58. Fanshawe by Nathanial Hawthorne
59. Death Pays a Visit by Elizabeth Spann Craig

August 2017
60. After the Roses by Shayne Parkinson
61. A Highland Wolf Christmas by Terry Spear
62. A Body at Bunco by Elizabeth Spann Craig
63. Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb (audiobook)
64. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
65. World From Rough Stones by Malcolm McDonald
66. Murder on Opening Night by Elizabeth Spann Craig

September 2017
67. The Summer He Came Home by Juliana Stone
68. Cruising for Murder by Elizabeth Spann Craig
70. Cooking is Murder by Elizabeth Spann Craig
71. The Day He Kissed Her by Juliana Stone

October 2017
72. Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren
73. Widow's Tale by Maureen A. Miller
74. Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik

November 2017
75. The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb
76. The Officer Says I Do by Jeanette Murray
77. Lye in Wait by Cricket McRae
78. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (audiobook)
79. Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini
80. SEAL Wolf Hunting by Terry Spear
81. Bug Park by James. P. Hogan

December 2017
82. The Rich Are with You Always by Malcolm MacDonald
83. The Officer Breaks The Rules by Jeanette Murray
84. The Girl with Seven Names by Hyeonseo Lee
85. High Tide (Rogue Wave) by Maureen A. Miller
86. The Officer and the Secret by Jeanette Murray
87. Victory Cove by Maureen Miller

Last edited by sakura-panda; 01-02-2018 at 10:02 AM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Read current series. Have Fun!

My goal is to have fun this year and try to focus on the series I'm currently reading.

My list is posted on my blog.

Last edited by Rumpelteazer; 12-14-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Thumbs up To read 27,000 pages in 2017

I increased my goal from 24,000 to 27,000 pages this year to match my yearly average since I started tracking in 2011. In March I added the All Your Book are Belong to Us challenge from Goodreads.

Page Goal: Read 27,000 pages in 2017.
Status as of December 31: 38,405 pages read, 120 books/short stories completed.
Page goal completed 9/7/2017

Progress charts:

Overall Summary Stats:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017Stats.JPG
Views:	1035
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	160995Click image for larger version

Name:	2017MonthlyTab.JPG
Views:	1325
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	160996Click image for larger version

Name:	2017PubDate1.JPG
Views:	1054
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	160997Click image for larger version

Name:	2017PubDate2.JPG
Views:	1037
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	160998
  • AYBABTU: Finished with 247 points and 9 completed categories, missing only 8 challenge items.
  • Read 46 Books from 42 new authors
  • Read 81 library books (65%)
  • Read 43 books that either won or were shortlisted for a literary award
  • Read books published in 51 different years
    • Highest from 2014 with 9
    • Read 8 books published in 2017
  • Most read author: Jim Butcher with 9
  • Re-read 28 books this year (23%)
  • Read 31 different genres
  • Read 8 audio books, totaling 53H, 36M
  • Average pages/year went from 27,194 to 28,907, up 6%.
Books in progress:
  • The Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien
Completed books: Ordered by finish date
  1. The Right Stuff - Tom Wolfe - March 2014 book club nomination
  2. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind - Yuval Noah Harari - November 2016 Book Club
  3. Homeland (Drizzt 4) - R.A. Salvatore
  4. The Nowhere Man (Orphan X/Evan Smoak 2) - Gregg Hurwitz
  5. Pawn of Prophecy (Belgariad 1) - David Eddings
  6. Maskerade (Discworld 18) - Terry Pratchett
  7. Queen of Sorcery (Belgariad 2) - David Eddings
  8. Track of the Cat (Anna Pigeon 1) - Nevada Barr
  9. Magician's Gambit (Belgariad 3) - David Eddings
  10. Castle of Wizardry (Belgariad 4) - David Eddings
  11. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith - MR Book Club Selection February 2017
  12. Redshirts - John Scalzi
  13. Enchanters' End Game (Belgariad 5) - David Eddings
  14. Letters from Father Christmas - J.R.R. Tolkien
  15. Feet of Clay (Discworld 19) - Terry Pratchett
  16. The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician 2) - Charlie N. Holmberg
  17. Exile (Drizzt 5) - R.A. Salvatore
  18. Old Man's War - John Scalzi
  19. The Master Magician (The Paper Magician 3) - Charlie N. Holmberg
  20. The Home Crowd Advantage (Rivers of London 1.5) - Ben Aaronovitch
  21. Sojourn (Drizzt 6) - R.A. Salvatore
    • Abandoned: Nevernight - Jay Kristoff
  22. Summer Knight (Dresden 4) - Jim Butcher
  23. Naked in Death (#1) - Nora Roberts (as J.D. Robb)
  24. Glory in Death (#2) - Nora Roberts (as J.D. Robb)
  25. Queen Lucia - E.F. Benson - Audio book, March 2017 MR Book Club
  26. Death Masks (Dresden 5) - Jim Butcher
  27. Book 27
  28. Oregon Off the Beaten Path: A Guide to Unique Places - Myrna Oakley
  29. Hellboy: Seeds of Destruction - Mike Mignola
  30. Forging ZERO (Book 1) - Sara King
  31. The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
  32. Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at War - Mary Roach
  33. The Ghost Brigades (Old Man's War 2) - John Scalzi
  34. Blood Rites (Dresden 6) - Jim Butcher
  35. Immortal in Death (In Death 3) - J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts)
    • Abandoned: Revelation Space - Alastair Reynolds
  36. Jingo (Discworld 21) - Terry Pratchett
  37. The Book of Three (Chronicles of Prydain 1) - Lloyd Alexander
  38. A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak 1) - Dana Stabenow - MR Book Club April 2017 selection
  39. Omnilingual - H. Beam Piper
  40. Little Fuzzy - H. Beam Piper
  41. Still Life - Louise Penny - MRBC April 2017 nominee (and runner-up)
  42. Red Dragon (Hannibal Lector 1) - Thomas Harris
  43. The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War 1) - W.E.B. Griffin
    • Abandoned: The Natural - Bernard Malamud
  44. The Crystal Shard (Drizzt 1) - R.A. Salvatore
  45. Buy a Bullet (Orphan X 0.5) - Gregg Hurwitz
  46. Dead Beat (Dresden 7) - Jim Butcher
  47. The Last Continent (Discworld 22, Rincewind 6) - Terry Pratchett
  48. Rapture in Death (In Death 4) - Nora Roberts (as J.D. Robb)
  49. The Captains (Brotherhood of War 2) - W.E.B. Griffin
  50. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury - MR Book Club May 2017 selection
  51. Proven Guilty (Dresden 8) - Jim Butcher
  52. The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lector 2) - Thomas Harris
  53. Animal Farm - George Orwell
  54. The Way of Shadows (Night Angel 1) - Brent Weeks
  55. Nightingale: London 1966 (Rivers of London 0.5)- Ben Aaronovitch
  56. Reynolds: Arizona 2014 (Rivers of London 3.5) - Ben Aaronovitch
  57. Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal - Mary Roach
  58. Postmortem (Scarpetta 1) - Patricia Cornwell
  59. Longtitude - Dava Sobel - June 2017 MR Book Club Selection
  60. Let's Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir) - Jenny Lawson (The Bloggess)
  61. Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein
  62. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
  63. Sorcerer to the Crown - Zen Cho
  64. Way Station - Clifford D. Simak
  65. The Commitments - Roddy Doyle
  66. A Rare Book of Cunning Device (Rivers of London 5.6) - Ben Aaronovitch - Audiobook narrated by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith
  67. Night of the Hunter (Drizzt 25) - R.A. Salvatore
    • Abandoned: Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
  68. The Man of Legends - Kenneth Johnson
  69. The Birds - Daphne Du Maurier
  70. Tobias Winter - Meckenheim 2012 (Rivers of London 1.3) - Ben Aaronovitch
  71. Eye of the Needle - Ken Follett
  72. The Gunslinger (Dark Tower 1) - Stephen King
  73. Carpe Jugulum (Discworld 23) - Terry Pratchett
  74. American Assassin (Mitch Rapp 1) - Vince Flynn
  75. White Night (Dresden 9) - Jim Butcher
  76. Fatal Flight: The True Story of Britain's Last Great Airship - Bill Hammack
  77. Working for Bigfoot (Dresden Files collection) - Jim Butcher - Audiobook narrated by James Marsters
  78. The Hunt For Red October (Jack Ryan 4) - Tom Clancy
  79. Broken Homes (Rivers of London 4) - Ben Aaronovitch - Audiobook narrated by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith
  80. Uncanny Valley - Greg Egan
  81. Rise of the King (Drizzt 26) - R.A. Salvatore
  82. Saturn Run - John Sandford and Ctein
  83. Life, the Universe, and Everything (Hitchhiker's Trilogy 3) - Douglass Adams
  84. The Veldt - Ray Bradbury
  85. Clear and Present Danger (Jack Ryan 6) - Tom Clancy
  86. Sorcery and Cecilia - Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer
  87. In the Air (Silo 1.a) - Hugh Howey
  88. In the Mountain (Silo 1.b) - Hugh Howey
  89. In the Woods (Silo 1.c) - Hugh Howey
  90. The Fifth Elephant (Discworld 24, City Watch 5) - Terry Pratchett
  91. Without Remorse (Jack Ryan 1) - Tom Clancy - Completed 2017 page goal.
  92. Professor Incognito Apologizes - Austin Grossman
  93. Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf (Drizzt 27) - R.A. Salvatore
  94. Those Who Hunt the Night - Barbara Hambly
  95. The Sum of All Fears (Jack Ryan 7) - Tom Clancy
  96. A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea 1) - Ursula LeGuin
  97. Last Rituals (Thora Gudmundsdóttir 1) - Yrsa Sigurdardottir
  98. The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea 2) - Ursula LeGuin
  99. Battle Cruiser - B.V. Larson
  100. The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle
  101. Harry Potter 1
  102. Harry Potter 2
  103. Harry Potter 3
  104. Harry Potter 4
  105. Harry Potter 5
  106. Harry Potter 6
  107. The Deathly Hallows (HP 7) - J.K. Rowling
  108. Shoeless Joe - W.P. Kinsella
  109. Fated (Alex Verus 1) - Benedict Jacka
  110. Ringworld - Larry Niven - Audio book
  111. Small Favor (Dresden 10) - Jim Butcher
  112. Turn Coat (Dresden 11) - Jim Butcher
  113. Cursed (Alex Verus 2) - Benedict Jacka
  114. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - J.K. Rowling
  115. The Truth (Discworld 25) - Terry Pratchett
  116. Debt of Honor (Jack Ryan 8) - Tom Clancy
  117. Artemis - Andy Weir
  118. Swords and Deviltry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser 1) - Fritz Leiber
  119. Sylvie and Bruno - Lewis Carroll - MR Book Club December 2017 selection
  120. The Call of the Wild - Jack London
    • Abandoned: Titus Groan - Mervyn Peake
Updates:
3/8/17: Added the All Your Book are Belong to Us challenge and AYBABTU challenge tracker
4/11/17: Increased goal to 27,000 pages since it looks like I will blow by my initial goal of 25,500. My average page count through 2016 is 27,194, so hopefully I at least meet it.

Other list posts: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017BarChart.png
Views:	16319
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	161002   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017Graph.png
Views:	16363
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	161003  

Last edited by Dazrin; 12-29-2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Year-End Update
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
2017 challenge
-40 books

Winter challenge
-Dune by Frank Herbert ✔︎

Spring challenge
-The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie ✔︎
-The Importance of Living by Lin Yutang ✔︎

Autumn challenge
-?

January

1) The Door ✩✩✩
2) Queen Lucia ✩✩✩✩✩
3) Nora Webster ✩✩✩✩✩
4) Anecdotes of Destiny and Ehrengard ✩✩✩
5) Fevre Dream ✩✩

February

6) A Separate Peace ✩✩✩✩
7) The Full Cupboard of Life ✩✩✩✩✩

March

8) Miss Mapp ✩✩✩✩
9) Dune
10) Career of Evil ✩✩✩
11) Cider with Rosie ✩✩✩✩✩
12) Aspects of the Novel ✩✩✩

April

13) A Pale View of Hills ✩✩✩
14) Bel Canto ✩✩✩
15) Mary Poppins ✩✩✩
16) The Chocolate War ✩✩✩
17) The Mysterious Affair at Styles ✩✩✩✩✩

May

18) The Secret Adversary ✩✩
19) Burmese Days ✩✩✩
20) Wayward ✩✩✩
21) Big Little Lies ✩✩
22) The Last Town ✩✩✩

June

23) The Arabian Nights ✩✩✩✩

July

24) The Importance of Living ✩✩✩✩✩
25) A Memoir of Jane Austen ✩✩✩✩
26) Lucky Jim ✩✩✩✩

August

27) I Capture the Castle ✩✩✩✩✩
28) Year of Wonders ✩✩✩

Last edited by sun surfer; 09-09-2017 at 12:19 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
RobertoOG
Enthusiast
RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura h2o
Talking 52 in 2017!!!!

52 in 2017!!!! - (52/52)
Challenge completed on December 28.

Secondary goals :
  • Read 6 books of bolivian authors (1/6)
  • Finish Asimov's foundation series (2/2)

2017 read books: (52/52)
  1. The blade itself (the first law #1) - Joe Abercrombie ★★★★☆ (I reserve five stars for really outstanding books, this one was great)
  2. Story of your life and others - Ted Chiang ★★★★☆ (It's a collection of some great stories: "Story of your life" and "Hell is the abscence of god" are really great)
  3. Brave new world - Aldous Huxley ★★★★☆
  4. Prelude to Foundation - Isaac Asimov ★★★★☆
  5. Young bloods - Simon Scarrow ★★★★★
  6. Invitation to a decapitation - Vladimir Nabokov ★★☆☆☆
  7. Lord of the flies - William Golding ★★★★☆
  8. The never ending story - Michael Ende ★★★★★
  9. The Generals - Simon Scarrow ★★★★★
  10. I'm legend - Richard Matheson ★★★★☆
  11. Jonathan Livingston Seagull - Richard Bach ★★★★☆
  12. The book of Ivo - Juan Cuadra Perez ★★★★★
  13. Homage to Catalonia - George Orwell ★★★☆☆
  14. Ángeles del abismo - Enrique Serna ★★★★★
  15. El amor en los tiempos del cólera - Gabriel García Marquez ★★★★☆
  16. La isla del Dr. Moreau - H.G. Wells ★★★★★
  17. Ghost Story - Peter Straub ★★★★☆
  18. Fire and Sword - Simon Scarrow ★★★★★
  19. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury ★★★★★
  20. Forward the foundation - Isaac Asimov ★★★★☆
  21. A scanner darkly - Philip K. Dick ★★★★★
  22. A Maze of death - Philip K. Dick ★★★★☆
  23. Relatos de la Villa Imperial de Potosí - Vela, Bartolomé Arzáns de Orsúa ★★☆☆☆
  24. The fields of death - Simon Scarrow ★★★★★
  25. Hiroshima - John Hersey ★★★☆☆
  26. We Can Remember It for You Wholesale - Philip K. Dick ★★★☆☆
  27. Spin - Robert Wilson ★★★★★
  28. Rosemary's baby - Ira Levin ★★★★☆
  29. The idiot brain - Dean Burnett ★★★★☆
  30. The penultimate truth - Philip K. Dick ★★★☆☆
  31. The green mile - Stephen King ★★★★★
  32. River out of Eden - Richard Dawkins ★★★★★
  33. The omen - David Seltzer ★★★☆☆
  34. 2001: A space odyssey - Arthur C. Clarke ★★★★☆
  35. Darwinia - Robert Wilson ★★★★☆
  36. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy ★★★★★★ (six stars!)
  37. The inner world - Robert Silverberg ★★☆☆☆
  38. Tell me your dreams - Sidney Sheldon ★★★★☆
  39. Axiomatic - Greg Evgan ★★★★☆
  40. Dark Water - Kōji Suzuki ★★★★☆
  41. Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes ★★★★★
  42. The ring - Koji Suzuki ★★★★★
  43. Las cuatro estaciones I. Primavera y verano - Stephen King ★★★★★
  44. Contact - Carl Sagan ★★★★☆
  45. Houses without doors - Peter Straub ★★★★☆
  46. Reparar a los vivos - Maylis de Kerangal ★★★★★
  47. My beliefs - Albert Einstein ★★★★☆
  48. I Robot - Isaac Asimov ★★★★☆
  49. Las cuatro estaciones II. Invierno y otoño - Stephen King ★★★★★
  50. A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather Than Nothing - Lawrence M. Krauss ★★★★☆
  51. Doña Perfecta - Benito Pérez Galdós ★★★★☆
  52. Primates and Philosophers: How Morality Evolved - Frans de Waal ★★★★☆

Now reading:

- Memories (Isaac Asimov)
- Underground (Haruki Murakami) --> didn't like it, stopped reading
- Before they are hanged (Joe Abercrombie)

Last edited by RobertoOG; 12-28-2017 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Completed the challenge
RobertoOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
To read more books than in 2016

Goal is to read more books than in 2016. I would like to read more nonfiction, but ... we'll see.

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-03-2016 at 02:38 AM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #13
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Two books per week

I will stick to my goal of two books per week without counting pages. I also plan to enjoy more fiction. I've had too much non-fiction and science this year. Rereading some of my favourite authors fits nicely into it.

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-03-2016 at 02:39 AM.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #14
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
Primary goals:
  • Track books read. Jan: 29 Feb: 30 Mar: 34 Apr: 28 May: 35 Jun: 36 Jul: 34 Aug: 34 Sep: 29 Oct: 24 Nov: 24 Dec: 24
  • 2017 Popsugar challenge. Nov: complete
  • Book Riot Retro Rereads project.
  • Finish The Canterbury Tales. Sep: done!
  • Track spending/subscriptions.
  • Make a dent in subscribed magazines. Jan: 5 Feb: 5 Mar: 2 Apr: 5 May: 5 Jun: 3 Jul: 2 Aug: 5 Sep: 5 Oct: 4 Nov: 4 Dec: 1
  • Evaluate 24 freebies. Jan: 3 Feb: 2 Apr: 1(+4) May: 2 Jul: 1 Aug: 2 Dec: 1
  • READ 6 PHYSICAL TBRs ALREADY!!! Jan: 1 Feb: 1 Apr: 1

I'm going to track my reading, but don't have a goal for number or page count. Last year happened to set a new high page count since I started serious tracking, and I'm not interested in a personal arms race.

Spoiler:
Jan: 15 novels, 1 re-read, 4 shorter works, 2 anthologies, 4 magazines, 1 picture book, 2 non-fiction. 7000 pages. Notable: Yoon Ha Lee, Ninefox Gambit; T. Kingfisher, Summer in Orcus.

Feb: 10 novels, 2 re-reads, 5 shorter works, 4 anthologies, 5 magazines, 1 picture book, 2 non-fiction, 1 audio book. 6800 pages, 2 hours. Notable: Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Blades; The Unbanking of America: How the New Middle Class Survives, Lisa Servon; The Starlit Wood, ed. Dominik Parisien and Navah Wolfe; Borderline, Mishell Baker; Beneath Ceaseless Skies #200 (for the incredible Seth Dickinson story).

Mar: 12 novels (3 re-reads), 10 shorter works, 3 audio shorts, 3 magazines, 4 non-fiction, 2 graphic novels/collections. 6900 pages, 2 hours. A rather bland month, alas. Favorite was Susan Cooper's Greenwitch, my favorite in the series so far upon re-reading.

Apr: 13 novels (4 re-reads), 4 shorter works, 3 audio shorts, 5 magazines, 1 anthology, 2 non-fiction. 5900 pages, 2 1/2 hours. Favorite: Tim Marshall's Prisoners of Geography, re-read Alexis Hall's Looking for Group.

May: 17 novels (2 re-reads), 8 shorter works, 5 magazines, 1 collection, 2 non-fiction (1 re-read), 2 graphic novels. 7800 pages. Notable: Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House in the Big Woods; Rebecca Stead, Goodbye Stranger.

Jun: 16 novels (5 re-reads), 4 shorter works, 3 magazines, 3 non-fiction, 10 graphic novels. 8000 pages. Notable: Laura Ingalls Wilder, Farmer Boy; Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City, Matthew Desmond.

Jul: 14 novels (1 re-read), 11 shorter works, 2 magazines, 2 non-fiction, 4 graphic novels. 7800 pages. Notable: N.K. Jemisin, The Obelisk Gate; Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Miracles; Jeff VanderMeer, Borne; Agatha Christie/Mary Westmacott, Absent in the Spring.

Aug: 14 novels (3 re-reads, 1 on audio), 8 shorter works (1 re-read, 1 on audio), 5 magazines, 2 collections, 3 non-fiction, 1 graphic novel. 7400 pages, 9 hours.

Sep: 15 novels (1 re-read), 4 shorter works, 5 magazines, 3 collections (2 re-reads), 1 anthology, 1 graphic novel. 8300 pages. Notable: Angie Thomas' The Hate U Give; Christina Lauren's Dating You Hating You.

Oct: 14 novels (3 re-reads), 2 shorter fiction works, 4 magazines, 1 anthology, 1 graphic novel, 2 non-fiction (1 short). 5800 pages. Notable: Genevieve Valentine, The Girls at the Kingfisher Club, Martin Edwards ed., The Long Arm of the Law.

Nov: 13 novels (1 re-read), 1 shorter work, 4 magazines, 1 anthology, 3 graphic novels, 2 non-fiction. 7200 pages. Notable: Octavia E. Butler, Kindred

Dec: 13 novels (4 re-reads), 4 shorts, 1 magazine, 2 anthologies, 1 collection (a re-read), 3 non-fiction. 6600 pages.

I enjoyed the 2016 Popsugar challenge, so I'll give 2017 a go. I'm going to include Book Riot's Read Harder as a secondary with less rigor.

Spoiler:
Jan: Not yet nailing down what goes where, but I have 29 Popsugar slots potentially covered among 23 books. For Read Harder, 12 slots among 18 books.

Feb: 41/42 and 13/30. Distinct impression Popsugar challenge is easier this year.

Mar: 44/63 and 16/47. Began some reading specifically to cover slots.

Apr: 46/82 and 19/59.

May: 46/103 (hmm) and 20/71.

Jun: 49/133 and 21/90.

Jul: 49/157 and 21/100.

Aug: 50/181 and 22/114.

Sep: 51/197 and 23/123 - I make it 49 and 20 slots being picky about my maybes. In good shape to complete.

Oct: 51/210 and 23/135 - 50 and 23 covered no-maybes, with 2 in progress. 8 slots remaining, 3 in progress including alphabet challenges.

November: completed Pop Sugar challenge and Book Riot Read Harder, as well as title and place alphabet challenges. One slot remaining in author alphabet challenge.

December: finished Ishiguro's The Buried Giant and, ironically, Innes' There Came Both Mist and Snow for I authors.

I'm having a lot of fun considering books for the Book Riot Retro Rereads proposal, so I'll do that too.

Spoiler:
Jan: Lloyd Alexander, The Book of Three.
Feb: David Eddings, Pawn of Prophecy.
Mar: Susan Cooper, The Dark Is Rising. Am in the middle of re-reading the series.
Apr: Agatha Christie, The Moving Finger (UK edition).
May: Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House in the Big Woods. Probably the best yet.
Jun: Heron Carvic, Picture Miss Seeton.
Jul: Agatha Christie/Mary Westmacott, Absent in the Spring. As under-known and ruthless as ever.
Aug: Barbara Hambly, Bride of the Rat God.
Sep: Isaac Asimov, Tales of the Black Widowers.
Oct: Dorothy L. Sayers, Murder Must Advertise.
Nov: Emma Bull, War for the Oaks
Dec: Andrea K. Höst, Stray

I started The Canterbury Tales in 2016 and would like to finish it.

Spoiler:
Mar: have resumed and am making good progress.

May: fallen off the wagon again.

Sep: finished!

Continue tracking spending/acquisitions/use of subscription services.

Spoiler:
Scribd
Jan: Read $8 subscribed, $24 unlimited, 4 books. DNF $15 subscribed (sigh), $89 unlimited, 11 books.
Feb: read $7 subsc, $11 unl, 2 books.
Mar: Read $21 unlimited, 2 books. DNF $33 unl, 4 books.
Apr: read $4 subscribed, $12 unl, 3 books. DNF $4 subscribed (book appeared solid but triggering).
May: read $20 subscribed, 3 books (yay me!); $14 unl, 1 book. DNF $16 subscribed (glad I didn't buy it, though), $1 unl, 2 books.
Jun: read $9 subscribed, 2 books; $13 unl, 1 book.
Jul: read $18 subsc, 3 books; $4 unl, 1 book and 2 shorts.
Aug: read/listened $21 subsc, 1 book, 1 short, 1 audio short, 1 audio book I own in ebook; $1 unl, 1 short; DNF $10 unl, 1 book.
Sep: read $8 subsc, 2 shorts; $1 unl, 1 short.
Oct: read $6 subsc, 2 books, $11 unl, 1 book.
Nov: read $9 subsc, 1 book.
Dec: read $12 subsc, 2 books.

KU
Jan: Read $17/$11, 3 books.
Feb: read $10/$5, 4 books. DNF $9, 2 books.
Mar: read $16/$7, 2 books. DNF $9, 3 books.
Apr: read $12/$7, 3 books.
May: read $16/$10, 3 books.
Jun: read $11/$6, 3 books.
Jul: read $14/$9, 2 books and 3 shorts. DNF $4, 1 book.
Aug: read $21/$14, 4 books.
Sep: read $15/$9, 2 books and 1 graphic novel. DNF $4, 1 book.
Oct: read $12/$8, 2 books, 1 short, 1 short NF. DNF $5, 1 book.
Nov: read $19/$10, 3 graphic novels. KU expired at end of month.
Dec: KOLL $9, Prime $10 1 book.

also one NetGalley for June ($2.99?)
one NG Sep, 2018 title.
two NG Oct, 1 novella & 1 anthology.
one NG Dec.

Acquisitions
Jan: 9 freebies, 39 purchases including 4 reference and 7 previously read. Read one. 6 subscriptions and pre-orders arrived. $84
Feb: 8 freebies, 82 purchases (urk) including 17 reference, 6 previously read, and 3 bundles. Read one, reading one. 7 pre-orders and subscriptions arrived, 2 pre-orders. $173 (urk)
Mar: 4 freebies, 16 purchases - 3 previously read, read 3. 7 subscriptions and pre-orders arrived. 4 pre-orders. $62
Apr: 5 freebies, 13 purchases - 2 prev read, read 1. 5 subscriptions arrived. 2 pre-orders. $42/$17 pre-ordered.
May: 3 tracked freebies - missed some?, 26 purchased - 13 prev read (Christie sale), read 1. 5 subscriptions, 1 pre-order, 3 KS graphic novels arrived. $51
Jun: 2 tracked freebies, 59 purchased - 5 prev read, read 1, 40 graphic novels in Humble Bundle. 7 subscriptions, 1 KS graphic novel, 2 pre-orders arrived, 1 Kickstarter backed. $66/AU$18 KS
Jul: 3 tracked freebies, 34 acquired - 5 prev read, read 1, 1 instructional, 12 omnibuses etc. mostly in StoryBundle. 3 subscriptions, 2 KS graphic novels, 2 KS backed. $90/$35 KS.
Aug: 5 freebies (2 prev read, read 1), 22 acquired - 6 prev read, read 1, 1 instructional. 4 subscriptions, 3 HS anthologies, 1 KS graphic novel, 1 KS backed. $48/$8 KS.
Sep: 3 tracked freebies, (one already owned for the formats), 58 acquired - 1 read, 9 prev read, 31 instructional/reference HB, renewed subscriptions, 5 magazines, 2 KS graphic novels, 1 pre-order arrived. Backed 4 KS. $220/$82 KS.
Oct: 3 tracked freebies, 6 magazines, 1 KS short. 45 acquired - 9 prev read. $90.
Nov: 6 magazines, 2 KS anthologies, 3 KS novels (1 prev. read), 1 delivered preorder (in progress). 91 acquired - 11 prev read, 30 instructional, 30 from bundles. Backed 1 KS. $161/KS AUS$14.
Dec: 6 magazines, 3 KS add-on anthologies, 6 freebies. 50 acquired - 9 prev read, 2 read, 12 instructional, 9 from bundles, $139. 1 pre-order.

Continue to tracking magazine and anthology reading.

Spoiler:
Apex, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Clarkesworld, Fantasy and Science Fiction, Lightspeed, Mothership Zeta, Uncanny
Jan: B/C/L/M, anthology Kaleidoscope.
Feb: A/B/L/U2, (owned) anthologies The Starlit Wood, Ellery Queen's Mini-Mysteries, Gambled Away.
Mar: A2/F(KU).
Apr: B2/C/L/U, (lib) anthology Shadowed Souls.
May: B3/C/L, (lib) collection P.D. James.
Jun: A/B/U.
Jul: B/C, lib anthology Once Upon a Castle. (Finishing the Hugo short fiction as well.)
Aug: B2/A/L/M
Sep: Asimov's/B2/C/L, anth The Last Chance Christmas Ball.
Oct: A/B2/U, anth The Long Arm of the Law.
Nov: B2/C/L, anth The Book of Swords.
Dec: F, anths 2017 Short Story Advent Calendar and The One That Got Away.

Evaluate (read or DNF) freebies and boost any worthwhile finds.

Spoiler:
Jan: read a first-in-series, elected not to continue series. 3 down.
Feb: listened to The Dispatcher, DNF another one.
Apr: DNF am old freebie, marked 4 more by author don't bother.
May: marked 2 Baen milSF LItS.
Jul: read a freebie paranormal that petered out from a decent start.
Aug: freebie read to pick up X for A-Z; new freebie highly recced.
Dec: read a very old mediocre freebie.

Read those physical TBRs, already.

Spoiler:
Jan: read Pierre Bayard's How To Talk About Books You Haven't Read. From Scribd. But at least it's off the shelf.
Feb: finished Ellery Queen's Mini-Mysteries!
Apr: read the UK edition of The Moving Finger
Dec: another dismal failure.

Last edited by elaysee; 01-06-2018 at 10:07 PM. Reason: year-end update
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The goal this year is similar to last year's, 120 books read (or abandoned), with a stretch goal of 160 books. This includes audio books. Individual short stories will be recorded, but not counted towards that goal until I've got several I can combine. Longer "short" works (~100 pages or so) will be counted as a full book, though if I have two of them back to back, I'll tend to count them as a single book.

Secondary goal is to update this list no less often than once a week. I managed that until autumn of 2016, but then that completely fell apart. It's really easy to lose track or get so far behind that one abandons the attempt. One trick is to update my "Reason for Editing" each time to show the last book(s) purchased and recorded. This helps me keep track even if it's been a few days since the last edit.

The tertiary goal is to track the costs of all books bought this year. NOT counting Audible credits, though I do track those.

Code:
---------------------------------------------
# Bought  | $   Spent | # Audible Credits
     128  | $  418.90 |   48
---------------------------------------------
  1. Learn PowerShell in a Month of Lunches (Don Jones & Jeffrey Hicks) $35.99 Rating:[*****]
  2. Swordspoint (Riverside #1) (Ellen Kushner) Rating:[****_]
  3. An Ancient Peace (Peacekeeper #1) (Tanya Huff) $8.99 Rating:[***__] Also Audible
  4. Free Stories 2016 (Various Baen) $0.00 Rating:[***__]
  5. Mary Russell's War (Mary Russel Shorts) (Laurie R. King) $9.99 Rating:[***__]
  6. Does a Bear Shoot in the Woods (Black Wolves Short) (Wen Spencer) $0.00 Rating:[*****]
  7. The Couturier of Milan (Ava Lee #9) (Ian Hamilton) $9.99 Rating:[*****]
  8. Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer #1) (Robin Hobb) $1.99 Rating:[****_] Also Audible
  9. Royal Assassin (Farseer #2) (Robin Hobb) $0.00 Rating:[****_] Also Audible Public Library
  10. Midnight Riot (Peter Grant #1) (Ben Aaronovitch) $8.75 Rating:[*****] Also Audible
  11. The Deep South (Anna Pigeon #8) (Nevada Barr) $0.00 Rating:[****_] Public Library
  12. The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor #4) (Various+Weber) $0.00 Rating:[****_]
  13. Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher #5) (Kerry Greenwood) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[*****] Audible
  14. The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant #6) (Ben Aaronovitch) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[*****] Audible
  15. 20412D Configuring Advanced Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Services (MOC) (Various) $NA Rating:[****_]
  16. The Gathering Edge eARC (Liaden #20) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $15.00 Rating:[*****] eARC
  17. The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks #4) (Peter Robinson) $0.00 Rating:[***__] Public Library
  18. The Black Wolves of Boston (Wen Spencer) $4.99 Rating:[****_]
  19. Plan B (Liaden Universe #11) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $2.57 Rating:[*****] ReRead
  20. I Dare (Liaden Universe #13) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $2.57 Rating:[*****] ReRead
  21. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency (Alexander McCall Smith) $0.00 [****_] ReRead
  22. A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak #1) (Dana Stabenow) $2.99 Rating:[*****] Also Audible
  23. Even Dogs in the Wild (Rebus #20) (Ian Rankin) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  24. Change Management (Adventures in the Liaden Universe #23) [/b] (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $4.99 Rating:[*****]
  25. Liaden Universe Constellation #1 (Adventures in the Liaden Universe) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $3.00 Rating:[*****] ReRead
  26. Liaden Universe Constellation #2 (Adventures in the Liaden Universe) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $2.57 Rating:[*****] ReRead
  27. Tracker (Foreigner #16) (C.J. Cherryh) $10.99 + 1 Audible Credit Rating:[*****] Also Audible ReRead
  28. Liaden Universe Constellation #3 (Adventures in the Liaden Universe) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $2.57 Rating:[*****] ReRead
  29. Visitor (Foreigner #17) (C.J. Cherryh) $10.99 + 1 Audible Credit Rating:[*****] Also Audible ReRead
  30. Hellbender (Laurie King) $0.99 Rating:[***__]
  31. Break In (Kit Fielding #1) (Dick Francis) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  32. Ghost Ship (Liaden Universe #15) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $2.57 Rating:[*****] ReRead
  33. Mira's Last Dance (Penric #4) (Lois McMaster Bujold) $4.99 Rating:[*****]
  34. A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak #2) (Dana Stabenow) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Also Audible ReRead
  35. In This Grave Hour (Maise Dobbs #13) (Jaqueline Winspear) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  36. The Novel Habits of Happiness (Isabel Dalhousie #10) (Alexander McCall Smith) $0.00 Rating:[***__] Public Library
  37. Blood Lure (Anna Pigeon #9) (Nevada Barr) $0.00 Rating:[****_] Public Library
  38. Queen Lucia (Mapp and Lucia #1) (E. F. Benson) $0.00 + $2.99 WhisperSync Rating:[***__] Public Domain + Audible
  39. Dragon Ship (Liaden Universe #17) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $2.25 Rating:[*****] ReRead
  40. Dragon in Exile (Liaden Universe #18) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $6.00 Rating:[*****] ReRead
  41. Stiff (Mary Roach) 7.99 Rating:[****_]
  42. Alliance of Equals (Liaden Universe #19) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $3.00 Rating:[*****] ReRead
  43. A Cold Blooded Business (Kate Shugak #4) (Dana Stabenow) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Also Audible ReRead
  44. The Light of Day (Eric Ambler) $0.00 Rating:[**___] Also Audible Abandoned
  45. Convergence (Foreigner #18) (C.J. Cherryh) $12.99 + 1 Audible Credit Rating:[*****] Also Audible
  46. Dead in the Water (Kate Shugak #3) (Dana Stabenow) $2.99 Rating:[*****] Also Audible ReRead
  47. Play with Fire (Kate Shugak #5) (Dana Stabenow) $4.99 Rating:[****_] Also Audible ReRead
  48. Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak #6) (Dana Stabenow) $4.99 Rating:[****_] Also Audible ReRead
  49. Cutting Corners (Adventures in the Liaden Universe #35) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $0.00 Rating:[*****]
  50. Cold Welcome (Vatta's Peace #1) (Elizabeth Moon) $14.99 Rating:[*****]
  51. Odds Against (Sid Haley #1) (Dick Francis) Rating:[****_] Audible UK
  52. Balance of Trade(Liaden Universe #3) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $5.00 Rating:[*****] ReRead
  53. Assasin's Quest (Farseer #3) (Robin Hobb) $0.00 Rating:[****_] Also Audible Public Library
  54. Trade Secret (Liaden Universe #4) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $6.99 Rating:[*****] Also Audible ReRead
  55. The Gathering Edge (Liaden Universe #20) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $9.99 Rating:[*****]
  56. To Fire Called (Seeker's Tale #2) (Nathan Lowell) $0.00 Rating:[*****]
  57. Less Than a Treason (Kate Shugak #21) (Dana Stabenow) $9.99 Rating:[****_]
  58. One Under (Bill Slider #18) (Cynthia Harrod-Eagles) $14.99 Rating:[****_]
  59. Whip Hand (Sid Haley #2) (Dick Francis) Rating:[***__] Audible UK
  60. Quarter Share (Solar Clipper #1) (Nathan Lowell) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Audible ReRead
  61. Half Share (Solar Clipper #2) (Nathan Lowell) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Audible ReRead
  62. Full Share (Solar Clipper #3) (Nathan Lowell) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Audible ReRead
  63. Old Bones (Bill Slider #19) (Cynthia Harrod-Eagles) $8.99 Rating:[****_]
  64. Double Share (Solar Clipper #4) (Nathan Lowell) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Audible ReRead
  65. Captain's Share (Solar Clipper #5) (Nathan Lowell) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Audible ReRead
  66. Owner's Share (Solar Clipper #6) (Nathan Lowell) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Audible ReRead
  67. In Ashes Born (Seeker's Tales #1) (Nathan Lowell) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Audible ReRead
  68. Milk Run (Smuggler's Tales #1) (Nathan Lowell) $4.99 Rating:[*****] ReRead
  69. To Fire Called (Seeker's Tales #2) (Nathan Lowell) $4.99 Rating:[*****] ReRead
  70. We Are Legion (Bobiverse #1) (Dennis E. Taylor) $0.00 Rating:[***__] KindleUnlimited + Audible
  71. Kris Longknife's Maid Goes On Strike (Mike Shephard) $0.99 Rating:[***__]
  72. Mira's Last Dance (Penric #4) (Lois McMaster Bujold) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Audible
  73. Penric's Demon (Penric #1) (Lois McMaster Bujold) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Audible
  74. Penric and the Shaman (Penric #2) (Lois McMaster Bujold) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Audible
  75. Penric's Mission (Penric #4) (Lois McMaster Bujold) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Audible
  76. The Templar's Last Secret (Bruno #10) (Martin Walker) $12.99 + 1 Audible Credit Rating:[*****] Also Audible
  77. Arrows of the Queen (Valdemar:Arrows #1) (Mercedes Lackey) $4.67 Rating:[****]
  78. Arrows Flight (Valdemar:Arrows #2) (Mercedes Lackey) $4.67 Rating:[**___]
  79. Longitude (Dava Sobel) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[*****] KindleUnlimited + Audible
  80. Arrows Fall (Valdemar:Arrows #3) (Mercedes Lackey) $4.67 Rating:[***__]
  81. The Farthest Station (Peter Grant Short #1) (Ben Aaronovitch) $4.99 Rating:[*****]
  82. Hidden Figures (Margot Lee Shetterly) £5.49 + £1.99 Audible Rating:[*****] Also Audible
  83. The Collectors (Philip Pullman) $0.99 Rating:[****_]
  84. Hunter (Hunter #1) (Mercedes Lackey) $0.00 Rating:[****_]
  85. Elite (Hunter #2) (Mercedes Lackey) $0.00 Rating:[****_]
  86. Mortal Bane (Madelane la Batard #1) (Roberta Gellis)1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  87. Due Dilligence (Adventures in the Liaden Universe #24) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $3.49 Rating:[*****]
  88. A Personal Devil (Madelane la Batard #2) (Roberta Gellis)1 Audible UK Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  89. Bone of Contention (Madelane la Batard #3) (Roberta Gellis)1 Downpour Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  90. Crown of Slaves (Crown of Slaves #1) (David Weber & Eric Flint) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  91. Assassin's Price (Imager #11) (L.E. Modesitt Jr.) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  92. Vanishing Act (Jane Whitefield #1) (Thomas Perry) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[*****] Audible ReRead
  93. Magic's Pawn (Last Herald-Mage #1) (Mercedes Lackey) $4.66 Rating:[****_] ReRead
  94. Penric's Fox (Penric #3) (Lois McMaster Bujold) $3.99 Rating:[*****]
  95. Unsuitable Job for a Woman (Cordelia Gray #1) (P.D. James) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[*****] Audible ReRead
  96. Magic's Promise (Last Herald-Mage #2) (Mercedes Lackey) $4.66 Rating:[****_] ReRead
  97. Magic's Price (Last Herald-Mage #3) (Mercedes Lackey) $4.66 Rating:[****_] ReRead
  98. Torch of Freedom (Crown of Slaves #2) (David Weber & Eric Flint) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  99. Shadow of Saganami (Saganami #1) (David Weber) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  100. Storm from the Shadows (Saganami #2) (David Weber) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  101. A Great Deliverance (Inspector Lynley #1) (Elizabeth George) $7.19 Rating:[****_]
  102. Your Turn, Mr. Moto (Mr. Moto #1) (John P. Marquand) Rating:[[b]**___] Abandoned Public Domain
  103. The Dawn's Early Light (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) Rating:[*****]
  104. To Fire Called (Seeker's Tales #2) (Nathan Lowell) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[*****] Audible
  105. Shadow of Freedom (Saganami #3) (David Weber) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  106. Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington #12) (David Weber) $5.99 Rating:[****_] Re-read
  107. A Rising Thunder (Honor Harrington #13) (David Weber) $4.99 Rating:[***__] Re-read
  108. Shadow of Victory (Honor Harrington #14) (David Weber) $3.00 Rating:[***__] Re-read
  109. The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe #2) (Rex Stout) $0.00 Rating:[****_] Re-read
  110. Neogenesis eARC (Liaden Universe #21) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) Rating:[*****] eARC
  111. The Rubber Band (Nero Wolfe #3) (Rex Stout) $0.00 Rating:[****_] Re-read
  112. The Late Show (Renée Ballard #1) (Michael Connelly) $0.00 Rating:[****_]
  113. The Thief (Queen's Thief #1) (Megan Whalen Turner) $4.99 Rating:[****_]
  114. The Queen of Attolia (Queen's Thief #2) (Megan Whalen Turner) $4.99 Rating:[****_]
  115. The Dragon Head King of Hong Kong (Ava Lee #0.5) (Ian Hamilton) $0.00 Rating:[*****] Re-read
  116. The Water Rat of Wanchai (Ava Lee #1) (Ian Hamilton) $2.76 Rating:[*****] Re-read
  117. The Disciple of Las Vegas (Ava Lee #2) (Ian Hamilton) $2.68Rating:[*****] Re-read
  118. The Wild Beasts of Wuhan (Ava Lee #3) (Ian Hamilton) $8.89 Rating:[*****] Re-read
  119. The Red Pole of Macau (Ava Lee #4) (Ian Hamilton) $0.00 Rating:[*****] Re-read Public Library
  120. The Scottish Banker of Surabaya (Ava Lee #5) (Ian Hamilton) $0.00 Rating:[*****] Re-read Public Library
  121. The Two Sisters of Borneo (Ava Lee #6) (Ian Hamilton) $5.74 Rating:[*****] Re-read
  122. The King of Shanghai (Ava Lee #7) (Ian Hamilton) $7.17 Rating:[*****] Re-read
  123. The Princeling of Nanjing (Ava Lee #8) (Ian Hamilton) $3.50 Rating:[*****] Re-read
  124. The Couturier of Milan (Ava Lee #9) (Ian Hamilton) $9.99 Rating:[*****] Re-read
  125. The Dragons of Dorcastle (Mage/Mechanic #1) (Jack Campbell) $5.38 Rating:[****_] Also Audible
  126. What We're Made Of (Frank Chadwick) $0.00 Rating:[****_]
  127. Cover Her Face (Inspector Dalgliesh #1) (P.D. James) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  128. A Mind to Murder (Inspector Dalgliesh #2) (P.D. James) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  129. The King of Attolia (Queen's Thief #3) (Megan Whalen Turner) $0 Rating:[***__] Public Library
  130. A Conspiracy of Kings (Queen's Thief #4) (Megan Whalen Turner) $0.00 Rating:[***__]
  131. The Dragons of Dorcastle (Pillars of Reality #1) (Jack Campbell) $5.19 Rating:[****_] Also AudibleUK
  132. Odds Against (Sid Halley #3) (Dick Francis) 1 AudibleUK Credit Rating:[****_] AudibleUK
  133. The Hidden Masters of Maradur (Pillars of Reality #2) (Jack Campbell) $5.19 Rating:[****_] Also Audible
  134. The Assassins of Altis (Pillars of Reality #3) (Jack Campbell) $5.19 Rating:[****_] Also Audible
  135. The Pirates of Pacta Servanda (Pillars of Reality #4) (Jack Campbell) $5.19 Rating:[****_] Also Audible
  136. The Servants of the Storm (Pillars of Reality #5) (Jack Campbell) $5.19 Rating:[****_] Also Audible
  137. The Wrath of the Great Guilds (Pillars of Reality #6) (Jack Campbell) $5.19 Rating:[****_] Also Audible
  138. The Ruby in the Smoke (Sally Lockhart #1) (Philip Pullman) $4.99 Rating:[*****] Also Audible
  139. The Shadow in the North (Sally Lockhart #2) (Philip Pullman) $6.99 Rating:[*****] Also Audible
  140. Touchstone (Stuvesant & Grey #1) (Laurie R. King) $6.56 Rating:[*****] Also Audible
  141. The Prisoner of Limnos (Penric #6) (Lois McMaster Bujold) $3.99 Rating:[****_]
  142. Peacemaker (Foreigner #15) (C.J. Cherryh) $9.99 Rating:[*****] Also Audible Re-read
  143. Tracker (Foreigner #16) (C.J. Cherryh) $10.99 Rating:[*****] Also Audible Re-read
  144. Visitor (Foreigner #17) (C.J. Cherryh) $12.99 Rating:[*****] Also Audible Re-read
  145. Convergence (Foreigner #18) (C.J. Cherryh) $12.99 Rating:[*****] Also Audible Re-read
  146. Unnatural Causes (Inspector Dalgliesh #3) (P.D. James) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Also Audible Public Library
  147. Holy Island (DCI Ryan #1) (L.J. Ross) $0.00 Rating:[***__] Also Audible Kindle Unlimited
  148. The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye (Lisbeth Salander #5) (David Lagercrantz) Rating:[***__] Public Library
  149. Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) (Ann Leckie) $0.00 Rating:[****_] Audible Public Library
  150. Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch #2) (Ann Leckie) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  151. Ancillary Mercy (Imperial Radch #3) (Ann Leckie) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[****_] Audible
  152. Shroud for a Nightingale (Inspector Dalgliesh #4) (P. D. James) $0.00 Rating:[****_] Public Library
  153. Cultivar (Adventures in the Liaden Universe #25) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $3.99 Rating:[*****]
  154. Heirs to Trouble (Adventures in the Liaden Universe #26) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $3.99 Rating:[****_]
  155. Dragonsong (Harper Hall #1) (Anne McCaffrey) $4.98 Rating:[****_] ReRead
  156. Dragonsinger (Harper Hall #2) (Anne McCaffrey) $4.98 Rating:[****_] ReRead
  157. The Great Siege: Malta 1865 (Ernle Bradford) 1 Audible Credit Rating:[***__] Audible
  158. Dragondrums (Harper Hall #3) (Anne McCaffrey) $4.98 Rating:[****_] ReRead
  159. Whose Body (Lord Peter Wimsey #1) (Dorothy L. Sayers) $0.00 Rating:[****_] Also Audible Public Domain ReRead
  160. Artemis (Andy Weir) $0.00 Rating:[***__] Audible Public Library
  161. Block Party (Liaden Universe Short) (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller) $0.00 Rating:[****_]
  162. Sylvie and Bruno (Lewis Carroll) $0.00 Rating:[**___] Abandonded Public Domain
  163. The Black Tower (Inspector Dalgliesh #5) (P. D. James) $6.10 Rating:[****_] Also AudibleUK
  164. Long Summer Day (Horseman Passing By #1) (R. F. Delderfield) $5.19 Rating:[****_]

Link to Discussion Thread

Last edited by CRussel; 12-31-2017 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Bought: The Price of Salt ;Library/PD: Blue Nights;Audible: A Purple Place for Dying
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote