Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #61
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
Fair enough. I would point out that all the information gathered, when not secured, could become a potential security problem for you, either if that info is hacked, or the company goes defunct and decides to sell off your info. Do we really know the extent of the information collected from all these services?
You could say that about any sort of transaction done on a computer/online. The companies you are buying these books from already have much more valuable data about you than any javascript in a book.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #62
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You could say that about any sort of transaction done on a computer/online. The companies you are buying these books from already have much more valuable data about you than any javascript in a book.
We might as well give up then - just publish all your personal information online and save them the hassle!!

Just because some people have information already doesn't mean I want anyone/everyone to have it... There are also laws governing how hey treat financial information...not so much for what they mine without you knowing.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #63
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
We might as well give up then - just publish all your personal information online and save them the hassle!!
That's obviously absurd. Much like some of the comments in this thread about a technology that may or may not ever go anywhere and so far has only been used in free books given to readers who have been made aware that it is there which must be activated by the reader. Sorry for the run-on sentence.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #64
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
My attitude is pretty simple:

I am the customer, so what is it about this aspect of the eBook that I should be willing to pay for?

If nothing about it constitutes something I might want to buy for my benefit, then I don't want it there.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
My attitude is pretty simple:

I am the customer, so what is it about this aspect of the eBook that I should be willing to pay for?

If nothing about it constitutes something I might want to buy for my benefit, then I don't want it there.
But no one is forcing you to pay for it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
candy.js is not an issue. Before I do anything with ePub eBooks, I run Modify ePub and I have it remove any javascipt. So candy.js would be removed before it ever sees one of my devices.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #67
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That's obviously absurd. Much like some of the comments in this thread about a technology that may or may not ever go anywhere and so far has only been used in free books given to readers who have been made aware that it is there which must be activated by the reader. Sorry for the run-on sentence.
Of course it is absurd...I did use the ""... lol

If "we" sit around and continue to allow these little invasions of privacy, then eventually it will be considered commonplace and "normal" for every agency to collect information about everything you do. At that point it will be much more difficult to regain your privacy. I would rather prevent it from happening in the first place while most people still think privacy is important.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #68
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
candy.js is not an issue. Before I do anything with ePub eBooks, I run Modify ePub and I have it remove any javascipt. So candy.js would be removed before it ever sees one of my devices.
Unfortunately, you can't rely on Modify ePub to find embedded JavaScript code. For example, it didn't find the following JavaScript code in my valid ePub3 test file:

Code:
<body onload="javascript:alert('Gotcha!')">
Attached Files
File Type: epub JS_test.epub (28.6 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by Doitsu; 08-13-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Unfortunately, you can't rely on Modify ePub to find embedded JavaScript code. For example, it didn't find the following JavaScript code in my valid ePub3 test file:

Code:
But I'll find it as I do look at the code for the eBooks I read before I read them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #70
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post

Code:

thanks!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote