Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Robin.K
Robin.K began at the beginning.

Device: more
Different settings for author_sort_copy_method for different libraries?

Sorry if i'm showing myself as a little idiot..

I have two libraries, one for books and one for magazines.
As Calibre is great for books but not so gorgeous for magazines, i use the author field for the magazine name.
I have set the author_sort_copy_method to:
author_sort_copy_method = 'copy'

But now I noticed, this applies also to my Book's library, on witch i was the setting to be 'comma'.

Is there a way to automate this change changing the Library or saving the Settings in the Library's Folder?
Robin.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin.K View Post
Sorry if i'm showing myself as a little idiot..

I have two libraries, one for books and one for magazines.
As Calibre is great for books but not so gorgeous for magazines, i use the author field for the magazine name.
I have set the author_sort_copy_method to:
author_sort_copy_method = 'copy'

But now I noticed, this applies also to my Book's library, on witch i was the setting to be 'comma'.

Is there a way to automate this change changing the Library or saving the Settings in the Library's Folder?
IIRC sort is a per user preference.
You could create a second Logon on your computer and keep one of libraries attached to that user (thus personal preferences apply)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
Robin.K

Thanks a lot, even if this was not what i expected ;-) now i know why...
In my naivety i imagined all settings was stored in the library ;-)

I think it will be easier to change the settings or change the Author sort in Managing Authors depending on how many items i import.

Creating a new user causes subsequent problems p.ex. storage of the library files and the books itself, and the elements to be imported.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Robin.K - I have the same issue

Try the Quick Preferences plugin. When I tried using it it didn't work for me in a procedural sense, but that was a long time ago when I was a calibre neophyte - if I were to try it today it could well do what I want.

So my workaround is: I add 'books' to my Media library (where I want 'copy') via an installation of calibre portable. Portable has a separate configuration folder where the Tweak settings etc are held. I only use it when I am adding 'books' to that library.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
Robin.K

Thanks for this Workaround...

The Quick Preferences plugin works fine dealing with file names but not for the mentioned purpose...

btw, portable is not an option for me, i'm on a mac.

Last edited by Robin.K; 12-29-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for this Workaround...

The Quick Preferences plugin works fine dealing with file names but not for the mentioned purpose...
Maybe that's why i gave up on it

Quote:
btw, portable is not an option for me, i'm on a mac.
Bummer.

Not sure if this is doable on a Mac, if its not then get rid of it
  • Create two sets of configuration data, one (e.g. calibre/books_config) with the tweak set to 'comma' the other (e.g. calibre/magazines_config) with the tweak set to 'copy'.
  • In a script that starts calibre pop a question, "Configure for Books or Magazines?"
  • Set the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY environment variable according to the response - to calibre/books_config if it's 'B' or calibre/magazines_config if it's 'M'. See Environment variables
I've considered doing this on Windows, but my Portable solution does the same thing without having to write and maintain an automation script - my motto is 'Less is better, but least is best'.

What we want is a plugin that sets the author_sort_copy_method tweak to a designated value when a specified library is opened at calibre start or a library switch - maybe someone will put their hand up to write one

BR
Old 12-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
Robin.K

I first supposed Quick Preferences does exactly this job: Quick Change Preferences ;-) and not only Change the import settings ^^

The Idea with the start-script is not a bad one, thus, i prefer when it's in Calibre and not an own solution, because some very comfortable things won't work any more (p.ex. quick change of Libraries)

Maybe a doable way for all is allowing configuration also as a per library setting. If in the Library folder is a config file take this settings, else use (default) user settings...
Old 12-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Maybe a doable way for all is allowing configuration also as a per library setting. If in the Library folder is a config file take this settings, else use (default) user settings...
The global configuration data is a set of nested directories, when flattened mine has ~150 files that are not icon overrides, and ~280 that are icon overrides.

One of the downsides to configuration swapping, is that one ends up with multiple sets of supposedly global settings. If you want a change available everywhere, such as a plugin update, you have to apply it in each configuration.

That's another reason I prefer to continue using portable (in this instance, self-contained would be a better label) for adding 'books' to my Media and Journals libraries. The only customisations are: the author_sort_copy_method tweak, plus the View Manager and GetFileName plugins.

I'd be lost without portable, if I want to test a calibre or plugin beta, or try doing something different, I just install a fresh portable and do it there. Much easier than messing with different user accounts or virtual machines.

Maybe a MAC guru could suggest how to create the equivalent of Windows portable (self contained) on OSX.

BR

Tags
author, settings, sort