Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Generation After Generation

I have a Paperwhite 3 and one would think that is the third generation, but with amazon, it is hard to tell?

Can someone tell me what generation I have so I can update? And also tell me why amazon has to be so damn difficult to make us figure it out instead of keeping it simple?

Enough of these "generations" already. Give a it a name so we know what it is.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Look here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201263790
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
That does not help. I can find no indication of a "Model Number" anywhere. Damn those Kindle idiots. I have a serial number of G090 and I think that makes it a 7th generation, but I am not sure?

Why do they make this so difficult? It is really turning me off to Kindles. I am about ready to switch to Kobo or something else.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
From looking at that site, for a Paperwhite:
If there is a Kindle logo on the back, it is a 5th gen paperwhite.

If it says kindle is silver on the front and has an Amazon logo on the back, it is a 6th gen Paperwhite.

If it is a white Paperwhite with kindle in gray or black Paperwhite with kindle in black on the front, it is a 7th gen Paperwhite. The 7th gen also has the 300 dpi screen.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
From looking at that site, for a Paperwhite:
If there is a Kindle logo on the back, it is a 5th gen paperwhite.

If it says kindle is silver on the front and has an Amazon logo on the back, it is a 6th gen Paperwhite.

If it is a white Paperwhite with kindle in gray or black Paperwhite with kindle in black on the front, it is a 7th gen Paperwhite. The 7th gen also has the 300 dpi screen.
See? That's ridiculous! Why so complex? Yes I have the 300 dpi. I think it is 7th generation. To call a 7th generation a Paperwhite 3 is asking for someone to walk away from your business.

I know that overall it is a small thing, and one really wouldn't care unless they wanted to update. But then when you do want to update, you have to figure out what you have. That isn't right.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
I have a Paperwhite 3 and one would think that is the third generation, but with amazon, it is hard to tell?

Can someone tell me what generation I have so I can update? And also tell me why amazon has to be so damn difficult to make us figure it out instead of keeping it simple?

I think if you have the 300 dpi Paperwhite 3 it's a 6th Generation. The Voyage is the 7th. The Oasis the 8th and the Oasis 2 the 9th.

Edited to say after reading the post above I am now confused
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I agree this is annoying. When I went to update my kindle paperwhite the last time (after not updating for a long time) it took me a little bit to figure out which one I had.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
PW1 -> Kindle Paperwhite 5th generation (768x1024 display, 256MB RAM, 2GB storage)
PW2 -> Kindle Paperwhite 6th generation (768x1024 display, 256MB RAM, 4GB)
PW3 -> Kindle Paperwhite 7th generation (1072x1440 display, 512MB RAM, 4GB[*])[*] 32GB available in Japan
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
See? That's ridiculous! Why so complex? Yes I have the 300 dpi. I think it is 7th generation. To call a 7th generation a Paperwhite 3 is asking for someone to walk away from your business.
Amazon don’t, and never have, called it a PW3. That’s what we call it here at MR. It’s not the Amazon name.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

I know that overall it is a small thing, and one really wouldn't care unless they wanted to update. But then when you do want to update, you have to figure out what you have. That isn't right.
I'll admit it would help if they put the model number on the Device Info window that you can access through settings.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@Josieb1: You're incorrect. Paperwhite with 300dpi screen = Paperwhite 7th gen = PW3 here on MobileRead.

@ThomasMcKean: I don't thing that officially adding something like year postfix (Paperwhite 2015) would help the matters significantly for people... you could buy that model in 2017... and latter in year 2019. forget when you bought it and then you would be in the same boat you're now: having to search for a box to read info.

Having said that Amazon could add info for first X characters from serial number (like we do here on MobileRead Wiki) as one extra way of identifying your Kindle model... since serial numbers is visible both from Kindle's Settings page (unlike that model number) and on your Amazon account.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

Our nicknames are based on the serial number.

Amazon's "generation" lingo is based on the Marketing Department per region (and can vary depending on geographic region).

You have a 7th generation device.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201756220
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #13
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
PW1 -> Kindle Paperwhite 5th generation (768x1024 display, 256MB RAM, 2GB storage)
PW2 -> Kindle Paperwhite 6th generation (768x1024 display, 256MB RAM, 4GB)
PW3 -> Kindle Paperwhite 7th generation (1072x1440 display, 512MB RAM, 4GB[*])[*] 32GB available in Japan
To make things even more confusing, there were actually two versions of the PW2: the 2013 model with 2GB and the one quietly released by Amazon in 2014 with 4GB, with no announcement about the doubled storage space. I know, I had one of each.

Here's a thread where it's discussed: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=244233
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote