Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
MartinHe
MartinHe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App
Adding new sections

Hi

I have imported a docx and after learning some of the basics about Calibre, I now want to add a section. But due to the number of changes I made in my azw3, using the built-in editor, I don't want to change the original docx. How can I insert a new section afterwards without messing up the ebook?

Best regards
Martin
MartinHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHe View Post
Hi

I have imported a docx and after learning some of the basics about Calibre, I now want to add a section. But due to the number of changes I made in my azw3, using the built-in editor, I don't want to change the original docx. How can I insert a new section afterwards without messing up the ebook?

Best regards
Martin
Use the book editor that is built in.
Add the file (assumes it is XHTML, with the same styles used)
or you could import and link a separate stylesheet (my personal thought is not to do this way, all main body chapters should use the same stylesheet for ease of single point of change)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use the book editor that is built in.
Add the file (assumes it is XHTML, with the same styles used)
or you could import and link a separate stylesheet (my personal thought is not to do this way, all main body chapters should use the same stylesheet for ease of single point of change)
I think there should only be one CSS. I don't see the need for multiple CSS files.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@MartinHe - I can't write with HTML and XML drivel in front of me, its mere presence puts me into code mode where I start worshipping form over substance

So I do all substantive editing in the original word processing format (master copy) where I keep formatting as simple as possible. Any editing I do on target formats such as EPUB is limited to cosmetic issues such fonts, titivating with fancy scene breaks and title pages etc. IMO if you're going to do substantive editing in a converted format (such as ePub, or a Kindle format) you might as well delete the original DOCX.

On the odd occasion I've needed to add/insert a new section I've done it within the master WP document. I create a DOCX for just that section, from which I create an ePUB using Sigil's DOCX Import (to ensure style consistency is preserved), and then I merge the XHTML file from that into what I already have.

On the rare occasion I've been asked to create a Kindle format such as AZW3 I muddle through converting the ePub with kindlegen or calibre conversion.

Nothing I do gets 'published' commercially.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think there should only be one CSS. I don't see the need for multiple CSS files.
K I S S
When adding, sometimes the user does not have the same stylesheet (usage).
Having various sheets load for specific pages, beats having a monster sized sheet, where some things get used ONCE
Old 07-16-2017, 04:08 AM   #6
MartinHe

Dear all

Thank you very much. Actually I do not want to write another section with a lot of text. Instead, I just want to add a changelog to the end of the ebook. Of course I can write up a html file and import it, but how do I tell Calibre to put that into a certain place in the internal order of the ebook. I guess there is a file that contains the sequence of integrated html files, possibly even multiple files.

Best regards
Martin
Old 07-16-2017, 04:14 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
In calibre editor, you can add a html file to an epub ebook, and later reorder the file till you place it at the point you want. All the necessary changes in the internal structure are done by calibre without you having to worry about it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:11 AM   #8
MartinHe

Cool! I will give it a try
Old 07-16-2017, 05:18 AM   #9
MartinHe

In the other files, there are parts like
Quote:
<p class="block_25" id="id_Toc486975626" lang="de">
What do I have to do about these IDs?
Old 07-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
In the other files, there are parts like What do I have to do about these IDs?
Probably nothing. That is used (needed) when there is just one big file and the TOC needs a location

what you do need to worry is that class="block_25" has a matching entry in the CSS or yo change it to match what you use in other sections
Old 07-17-2017, 04:23 AM   #11
MartinHe

Worked like a charm! Thanks a lot!
Old 07-17-2017, 04:43 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
In the other files, there are parts like What do I have to do about these IDs?
You can get rid of the id and the lang. All they are is poor coding that causes code bloat. It's amazing to see all the ways an eBook can be poorly coded.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote