Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
Blank books in Borders/Kobo reader

G'day all

This is a weird one. Due to geolimitations, our best hope of accessing a decent range of ebooks in Australia right now is Borders AU, which provides a Borders desktop app and Borders iPhone app based on the Kobo software.

I gather Borders are now doing this in the U.S., so hopefully my question makes sense to people outside Australia, as well.

The Borders Reader app on the iPhone is pretty primitive, so despite having bought quite a few books at Borders AU, I hadn't started reading them. This week, I did start reading. And I found that many of my free and purchased books were blank.

However, for the purposes of this question I'll confine myself to purchased books. I've bought a book, sync'd it, and it's in my I'm Reading list. The details and cover image are there. I select it, it enlarges the cover image, then shows me a blank page.

Tapping to turn the page has no effect. Borders' bookmark is still showing, as are the toolbars. I can choose preferences, but my chosen night-view display isn't showing: the page is white.

Tapping gets me nowhere. So I choose the info icon, showing the TOC, and select one of the chapters shown. The Borders reader then shows a completely blank page. No toolbars, no bookmark, nothing.

Tapping is completely ineffective. I can't bring up prefs, or return to I'm Reading, because no buttons are showing. Tapping in the middle has no effect.

The only way to get out of this is to hit the Home button and force-quit the Borders app (in iOS4). Then I can go back and do it all again.

If a book is OK, I select it, and it takes me into night-view, displaying the text. If it's not OK, all I get is the blank page.

When I check some of the "blank" titles in the Borders Desktop app, the chapter headings are there, but there is no text.

I'm going to take this up with Borders' Customer Service, but also wanted to log it here in case someone else encounters the same problem.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
Update

Borders' forum has an item supposedly specifically for iPad, where they say blank books will be fixed if you reset the app (Settings > Borders > Reset Local Data). With iOS4, you have to make sure you have quit the Borders app. first.

This total reset requires you to enter your login details all over again, then redownload all your ebooks.

I did this, and found that some titles now had text. However, quite a few still didn't. And yet others were marked "Not available for iPhone" when they were available previously. Two still said "Waiting for download", although there was no download activity.

So I'm awaiting Borders' response. Meanwhile, I'll read the books I can access.

Borders are our best hope for a decent range of ebooks, but their website and reader software need some serious help.
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
australia, blank-page, borders, missing-text, troubleshooting