Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
hkdorama
hkdorama began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony Reader, Kindle 2
em-dashes & Kindle

I found that in Kindle when you have an em space with no spaces on the sides, the Kindle does not allow line breaks before or after the em dash.

What I have is a paragraph of words and their translations formatted as follows (the paragraph is justified and I need to keep is justified, so left-align would not be an option):

Code:
word—the translation of the word; word—the translation of the word; word—the translation of the word; word—the translation of the word; word—the translation of the word; word—the translation of the word; word—the translation of the word; word—the translation of the word; word—the translation of the word; word—the translation of the word;
Looks like Kindle treats "word—the" as one word. But that results in really bad line breaks, especially when 'word' is long.

I have tried using thin-spaces on the sides on the em dash by Kindle treats even that as one word!

Would anybody have any suggestions?
hkdorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Perhaps replace the M dash with an N dash with a space on either side? It's what Penguin use in their printed books, and it looks good I think.

Last edited by Lexi Revellian; 07-26-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Lexi Revellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Yes, that's what I do for that same reason.

On the other hand, other readers (Adobe ePUB readers, for instance) do the opposite, allowing a break at either side of an unspaced em-dash. This produces wrong and annoying linebreaks in Spanish.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
hkdorama

Yes, we use spaced en dashes for our other books but this one has to be a kind of facsimile. So, I need to make sure there is no way to keep the em-dashes and have line breaks after them. Otherwise here is an example of how it looks now in Kindle Previewer:

Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You could try adding zero width spaces (& #8203; but without space between & and #) at both sides of the dash, but I don't know if/which readers support it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
hkdorama

Tried it just now on Kindle 2, the same problem. No line breaks before or after em-dashes...
Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
LRF/LRX format has the very same bug. ePub via ADE does not.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi Revellian View Post
Perhaps replace the M dash with an N dash with a space on either side? It's what Penguin use in their printed books, and it looks good I think.
I too use spaced 'Ndash' instead of mdash, but with a slight mod, since mobi/kindle will sometimes put the linebreak before the dash, which just looks wrong to me. So, I am using the format [word][non-breakspace][ndash][space]. Additionally, no space after a left quote, nor before a right quote. I apply the same ruleset to ellipsis as well (converting 3dots where necessary, since these seem to be positively guaranteed to fall at a line boundary!)

snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote