Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that's confused. I thought the version was just formatting changes.
Formatting improved, TOC added, Abbreviation Listing added, many internal hyperlinks added, ... basically an Enhanced version! But no words were harmed (or added) in the process!

Quote:
Just a thought, It's not really the Webster's 1913 Edition if words have been added to it. Maybe we should have a contest to rename it.
The 15,095 "newly added words" were added IN 1913 to the previous circa 1890 edition, and not by me, but by the original authors to yield that 1913 edition.

Quote:
nrapallo 2010 Edition - oooohhh I like

Webster's 1913ish Edition - Yeah, fits the bill

Nick's Dict - You left out gigantic
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:49 AM   #17
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Have you seen this:
http://bookfast.org/pocketbook/dicti...ers-dictionary ?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Yup! Somebody put up a link to it a couple days back.
Not sure if anybody else noticed but I'm using it. It seems pretty up to date and nicely structured. I'm not going to ditch Webster's altogether (I have way too many old PD titles where a 19th century definition will come in handy), but for my contemporary fiction I'll probably be sticking with OAL until I can get OED for Pocketbook.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #19
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Yup! Somebody put up a link to it a couple days back.
Not sure if anybody else noticed but I'm using it. It seems pretty up to date and nicely structured. I'm not going to ditch Webster's altogether (I have way too many old PD titles where a 19th century definition will come in handy), but for my contemporary fiction I'll probably be sticking with OAL until I can get OED for Pocketbook.
Hey, you can use both.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #20
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I installed the Advanced Learners dictionary today and it seems great so far. I love that we can have multiple dictionaries installed, and usable, at once.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #21
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I wonder which version it is.

Quote:
The following editions exist:
First edition first published in 1948 (12 impressions)
Second edition first published in 1963 (19 impressions)
Third edition first published in 1974 (28 impressions)
Fourth edition first published in 1989 (50 impressions)
Fifth edition first published in 1995 (65 impressions)
Sixth edition first published in 2000 (117 impressions)
Seventh edition first published in 2005
Eighth edition first published in 2010
I use this and Longman's DOCE 5th Edition and Webster's.

Longman's is pretty decent. Not sure which is better though between Longmen's and Oxford's. Webster's is pretty lacking.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #22
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I wouldn't mind converting the Webster's Dictionary 1913 (ver. 2.1) if it isn't too involved.
I'm having a hard time making the converter.exe program compile my .xdxf converted enhanced dictionary because my source is a bit messy and may contain unmatched XML tags i.e. <b> </b>, or even ( ).

I get this output when the program crashes:
Quote:
E:\DicConverter2\DictionaryConverter>converter dict.xdxf eng
Loading collates...
Loading morphems...
Loading keyboard...
Loading dictionary file...
dict.xdxf, line 78723: unclosed xml tag
I've tried to verify what's left unclosed, but cannot locate anything using simple text searches and such. I even tried using xmllint.exe from the libxml2 2.7.6 windows port, but it's not been easy to find the culprit(s).

Perhaps this may be too involved now and a ominous sign is the line where my .xdxf files crashes the converter.exe program, namely:
Quote:
<ar><big><b><k>Dead</k></b></big> <small>Dead</small>,
<i>v. i.</i> To die; to lose life or force. [Obs.] “So iron, as soon as it is out of the fire, <i>deadeth</i> straightway.” <i>Bacon.</i></ar>
Can the converter.exe program be recompiled to give more debug info where/why it's really crashing...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #23
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Advanced Learners dictionary Need to Convert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
I installed the Advanced Learners dictionary today and it seems great so far. I love that we can have multiple dictionaries installed, and usable, at once.
Did you have to convert this dictionary or just paste the file in /system/dictionaries ? [Where I used to have the En-Rus one from the factory.]

Thanks, I know it's been awhile, do you remember?
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #24
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01 View Post
Did you have to convert this dictionary or just paste the file in /system/dictionaries ? [Where I used to have the En-Rus one from the factory.]

Thanks, I know it's been awhile, do you remember?
Vienna01:

You just have to "drop" it into your /system/dictionaries folder on the PB.

Works a treat (I have the 1913 version and this one)!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #25
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Vienna01:

You just have to "drop" it into your /system/dictionaries folder on the PB.

Works a treat (I have the 1913 version and this one)!

Marilyn
Both 1913 and Longman work fine. My copy of MW Collegiate must be corrupted.

THANKS FOR HELP.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:22 AM   #26
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:
I'm having a hard time making the converter.exe program compile my .xdxf converted enhanced dictionary because my source is a bit messy and may contain unmatched XML tags i.e. <b> </b>, or even ( ).

I've tried to verify what's left unclosed, but cannot locate anything using simple text searches and such. I even tried using xmllint.exe from the libxml2 2.7.6 windows port, but it's not been easy to find the culprit(s).

Perhaps this may be too involved now and a ominous sign is the line where my .xdxf files crashes the converter.exe program, namely:

Can the converter.exe program be recompiled to give more debug info where/why it's really crashing...
Jep, a nice Interface would also be graet. But for now u have no chance of converting if the source file got something the conver does not like.
Try to grab a Dictionary from here, they convert fine.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #27
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzelbrain View Post
Jep, a nice Interface would also be graet. But for now u have no chance of converting if the source file got something the conver does not like.
Try to grab a Dictionary from here, they convert fine.

For 'the converter doesn't complain' definition of fine, there are still many characters/formating that aren't displayed properly by the device
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #28
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

a few threads ago:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118814

- I was able to download and then unpack a load of dictionaries as the last posting in the link indicates.

Amongst others, were the American Heritage and the Webster's Unabridged dictionaries.

Question: how do these compare to the Webster's that is the core topic of this thread? Please forgive my ignorance - to me the major dictionary is the Oxford, and my knowledge of Webster's and AH is limited.

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #29
Jarekczek
Jarekczek began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Quote:
dict.xdxf, line 78723: unclosed xml tag
From experiments: xdxf is a correct xml document, but converter.exe fails to parse files with lines longer than 4096 bytes (not characters, bytes).

For example this xdxf file would throw the error:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<ar><k>word</k>
put_4090_simple_letters_here <fictional tag ends after the 4096 boundary>

So not all longer lines cause converter to fail, only unlucky ones. We need to break the lines to make them shorter. I use the following awk script which works for files containing <br><br>:

awk '{ gsub("<br><br>", "<br>\n<br>"); print; }' dict.xdxf >dict2.xdxf

I'll try to find an appropriate place to report this bug. Will follow rkomar's suggestion and have a look at the-ebook.org.

Last edited by Jarekczek; 06-25-2013 at 01:26 AM. Reason: added more context information - the error message
Jarekczek is offline   Reply With Quote