Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The FBI vs. Ray Bradbury

"Definitely slanted against the United States" Ray Bradbury's FBI file [Muckrock]

http://boingboing.net/2015/08/24/fbi...-bradbury.html

https://www.muckrock.com/news/archiv...bury-fbi-file/

FBI files on subversive science fiction writers, notably Ray Bradbury, have been made public.

Quote:
"The general aim of these science fiction writers is to frighten the people into a state of paralysis or psychological incompetence bordering on hysteria"
I don't know about you, but I would definitely want to read some science fiction like that.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
"Definitely slanted against the United States" Ray Bradbury's FBI file [Muckrock]

http://boingboing.net/2015/08/24/fbi...-bradbury.html

https://www.muckrock.com/news/archiv...bury-fbi-file/

FBI files on subversive science fiction writers, notably Ray Bradbury, have been made public.

I don't know about you, but I would definitely want to read some science fiction like that.
Try early 60's british SF.

Tripods, Midwich Cookoos, Day of the Kraken, VOR, etc.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
"The general aim of these science fiction writers is to frighten the people into a state of paralysis or psychological incompetence bordering on hysteria"
I thought that was largely the role of the security services, these days.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the early 60's I was reading Bradbury and Heinlein. I considered that a well balanced diet. It was much later that I read the Midwich Cuckoos, after watching the original Village of the Damned.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
drjenkins
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I thought that was largely the role of the security services, these days.
SF - Science Fiction or Security Forces - you choose.
Advert
Old 08-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
In the early 60's I was reading Bradbury and Heinlein. I considered that a well balanced diet. It was much later that I read the Midwich Cuckoos, after watching the original Village of the Damned.
I'd struggle to think of two less similar writers than Bradbury and Wyndham. "The Midwich Cookoos" was the original, BTW; it was published in 1957. The film "Village of the Damned" was released in 1960.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
drjenkins
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd struggle to think of two less similar writers than Bradbury and Wyndham. "The Midwich Cookoos" was the original, BTW; it was published in 1957. The film "Village of the Damned" was released in 1960.
I didn't see Village of the Damned until it was broadcast on television - the version of the book I read had the Americanized spelling Cuckoos. Maybe I haven't actually read the book until I read it in it's original language.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I didn't see Village of the Damned until it was broadcast on television - the version of the book I read had the Americanized spelling Cuckoos. Maybe I haven't actually read the book until I read it in it's original language.
No, it's just me not knowing how to spell it . "Cuckoo" is the correct spelling.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Sounds like McCarthy. He went after everyone.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Wasn't he in the Beatles?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Wasn't he in the Beatles?
McCarthy not McCartney.
One was a communist hunter the other a fan hunter.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #12
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Not true in any way.

McCarthy pursued only communists within government circles , and data received after the dissolution of the Soviet Union revealed that every person he went after was indeed working with the soviets. He really didn't address anyone strictly living and working in civilian life.

At the time of his political collapse he could not reveal his sources without causing the deaths of American spies working inside the Soviet union.

The House Committee on un-American Activities went after imagined communists in all walks of life, but that happened in the other branch of the legislature, and it also happened before McCarthy's political debut.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Venona-Sec...ct_top?ie=UTF8

There is no perfect book on the subject, but this one should get you started.

Now that I have defended him from accusations posthumously proven incorrect, he was still an abrasive and conceited jerk whose fall was driven to a large extent by his high handed manner of dealing with other people. When push came to shove there wasn't anyone who might have been able to aid him that he had not treated ill.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Not true in any way.

McCarthy pursued only communists within government circles , and data received after the dissolution of the Soviet Union revealed that every person he went after was indeed working with the soviets. He really didn't address anyone strictly living and working in civilian life.

At the time of his political collapse he could not reveal his sources without causing the deaths of American spies working inside the Soviet union.

The House Committee on un-American Activities went after imagined communists in all walks of life, but that happened in the other branch of the legislature, and it also happened before McCarthy's political debut.

Now that I have defended him from accusations posthumously proven incorrect, he was still an abrasive and conceited jerk whose fall was driven to a large extent by his high handed manner of dealing with other people. When push came to shove there wasn't anyone who might have been able to aid him that he had not treated ill.
Oh so he was just the fall guy. Thanks for the correction.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #14
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
In regard to Joe McCarthy, I have read that the recently deceased M. Stanton Evans' book Blacklisted by History is good.

http://www.amazon.com/Blacklisted-Hi...dp/B000W94GOU/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Not true in any way.

What about Howard Fast, the author of Spartacus? He was imprisoned for refusing to reveal the names of people who had collected money for refugees fleeing the Franco dictatorship.

His imprisonment was the inspiration for Spartacus, which inspired the film.

Edit: Fast was imprisoned by the House of Un-American Activities Committee, which McCarthy had no direct connection to.

Last edited by Rizla; 08-26-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote