Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-24-2023, 10:39 AM   #1
fr_t
fr_t ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fr_t ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fr_t ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fr_t ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fr_t ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fr_t ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fr_t ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fr_t ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fr_t ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fr_t ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fr_t ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
kindle vs kobo vs pocketbook

I'm looking for a replacement to my Kindle paperwhite 2nd gen, that has similar characteristics but possibly some quality of life improvements.
I've been using it for about 10 years and passing it over to my gf, otherwise I wouldn't even consider buying a new one, as the device works for me well.

Normally I download mobi, or convert epub/fb2 via ebook-convert program that comes with Calibre suite.

I've looked at what is available, and I'll have to switch to some newer version for sure, but perhaps I should also change the vendor?

*Amazon*
- new models (11th gen) have backlight colour temperature. However, they are bigger, and the one I have now fits just right into jeans back pocket, so I'll probably have to skip the 11th
- new-ish models (10+gen) have dark mode switch - interesting
- prices for used devices are good, gonna go definitely with a used/refurbished option

Is there anything I should know about Kindles since 2013? I know amazon is a pretty evil company, so I expect that they had done something to f. over the customers during this timeframe?
Is it still as easy as drag'n'drop to sideload mobi, or mobi converted from epub/fb2? Can you sideload dictionaries as easily?
I don not plan to load books any other way, update it, or even connect it to the Internet.

*Kobo*
So, I've also started looking into alternatives: kobo seems to be a pretty good alternative, from a relatively non-evil company? They are not as widespread in my country though.

*Pocketbook*
I briefly owned a pocketbook before Kindle. It was a decent device that allowed to organize library with folders instead of collections, but it seems they are a degree more expensive than kindles these days?

*Boox*
Initially I was sold on the whole android thing and having more control, so I tried BOOX Poke 4 Lite, and it was quite bad. I had to return it.
fr_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 11:16 AM   #2
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Kindle, Kobo and PocketBook devices have different features. Any changes you make after using Kindle for so long will be noticeable, some will say for the better, some for the worse. If your satisfaction with Kindle is high, I would stick with your devices. The current basic Kindle could be a good, cheap option (if you don't need the warm lights, of course).
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 01:14 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Sideloading to Kindles still works as it always has, although with modern Kindles I'd use AZW3 instead of mobi (supports font weight adjustment and formatting is usually better. You can convert to AZW3 with Calibre.)
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Sideloading to Kindles still works as it always has, although with modern Kindles I'd use AZW3 instead of mobi (supports font weight adjustment and formatting is usually better. You can convert to AZW3 with Calibre.)
Originally you could have collections set by Calibre and now that's manual/Amazon Website unless it's jail broken. Originally they didn't mess with covers.

Amazon has added Series, but only they can set it and it can be missing or wrong.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 01:58 AM   #5
dreambeat
Enthusiast
dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Kobos Mini & Libra 2.
Quote:
Is there anything I should know about Kindles since 2013? I know amazon is a pretty evil company, so I expect that they had done something to f. over the customers during this timeframe?
If you haven't received the update from Amazon that changed the UI, it would be something I'd consider when deciding whether or not to get a new one: any newish kindle you buy now is extremely likely to have the newer UI. You may or may not like the changes; iirc there's been a lot of mixed feelings on them.
dreambeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 08:00 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The 11th gen Paperwhite is only 0.3" wider than the 10th gen model, it might still fit your pocket. I would not consider the 10th generation model, the display is not nearly as good and lacks the magic 'page animation' feature.

Otherwise I like Pocketbook. Has several ways of showing your books, pays attention to tags you set with calibre (series, genre), and it's complemented by decent iOS and android apps, and will seamlessly work with 3rd party content (native support for AZW/AZW3, but I usually convert to EPUB3 anyway). And if you want to use koreader, it integrates well with that and you don't need to jailbreak as a Kindle would require.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-09-2023 at 08:03 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:33 PM   #7
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr_t View Post
*Boox*
Initially I was sold on the whole android thing and having more control, so I tried BOOX Poke 4 Lite, and it was quite bad. I had to return it.
If it was something about the BOOX that you disliked*, rather than Android itself, you might take a look at the Inkbook line. They're made in Poland and ever since the Inkbook Obsidian I have had a weird soft spot for them, even though it costs extra to get them shipped to the U.S., which of course wouldn't be an issue if you're in Europe. I've been using a Focus as my primary device for over a year now and have been pretty happy with it.

I don't think you can get the Play Store onto Inkbooks, but I did put the Amazon app store on the Focus because I wanted to install Moon+ Reader.

*Disclaimer: I have never used or even seen a BOOX device so I have no frame of reference for comparing the Inkbook to them.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote