Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
intelligen
intelligen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Why does it take Calibre so long to e-mail?

I'm running Calibre on a laptop with an i7-2720M and 6 GB of RAM, and it only takes a couple minutes for Calibre to download and convert all of my news feeds. The problem is, it takes 5-1/2 to 7 minutes to e-mail each document. When I manually attach the largest one of the .mobi files to an e-mail, it takes less than 2 minutes. The smallest one takes less than 10 seconds to manually attach to an e-mail. In both cases, I'm using a gmail account, and I'm not running any other network-intensive applications in the background. What can I do to speed up the e-mail process?
intelligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligen View Post
I'm running Calibre on a laptop with an i7-2720M and 6 GB of RAM, and it only takes a couple minutes for Calibre to download and convert all of my news feeds. The problem is, it takes 5-1/2 to 7 minutes to e-mail each document. When I manually attach the largest one of the .mobi files to an e-mail, it takes less than 2 minutes. The smallest one takes less than 10 seconds to manually attach to an e-mail. In both cases, I'm using a gmail account, and I'm not running any other network-intensive applications in the background. What can I do to speed up the e-mail process?
Calibre has a timer to prevent multiple (separate) mailings from triggering ISP bulk mailer filters.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If multiple emails are to be sent, then calibre deliberately spaces them out. I believe the default delay between emails sent via gmail is something like 5 minutes.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
intelligen

Thanks, that would definitely explain it, although 5 minutes seems a bit excessive. I do sometimes send more than a couple legitimate e-mails in a 5-minute span.

If I use something other than gmail, will the delay be shorter? Is there any way for me to change the delay or add more SMTP servers to get around the problem?

Also, is it possible to send multiple attachments to my Kindle in one e-mail? That would be a nice optimization if it decreases the number of delays.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
You can change the time between emails by going to Preferences -> Tweaks -> then click on The number of seconds to wait before sending emails, and set public_smtp_relay_delay = to a number you want. For no delay, set it to 0.
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
intelligen

Forgot to reply to this before, but thanks for the tip! I lowered the delay to 15 seconds and I haven't had any problems.