Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
alxwang
Connoisseur
alxwang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PocketBook 360
Will DR1000 be hurt if I always connect the USB charger?

I use my laptop like this. As long as the battery fully charged the laptop will run on AC and battery will not charged at all.
Because I always use DR1000 in my reading corner in home so I always connect the USB charger to the DR1000.
It looks alright. DR1000 never show charge icon and the battery bar never goes down.

But I just want make sure: To use DR1000 like this way DR1000 will not be hurt, right?

Thanks
alxwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The USB connector is not designed to allow the Reader to be used while charging. If the connector breaks, iRex will bill you for the repair (300Euro) - see Don't buy this device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
wallcraft, you're talking about the physical location of the USB port making it susceptible to breakage while reading, not an actual electrical/charging problem that prevents the DR from working correctly while plugged in? Just want to clarify what you meant.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
I also wonder if the battery would like that - you're not really letting it go through its charge cycles this way.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
wallcraft, you're talking about the physical location of the USB port making it susceptible to breakage while reading, not an actual electrical/charging problem that prevents the DR from working correctly while plugged in?
Yes. The hardware isn't designed for this mode of operation, and the USB socket can physically break away from the motherboard.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
I also wonder if the battery would like that - you're not really letting it go through its charge cycles this way.
How is that a bad thing? Charge cycles are what reduces the life expectancy of the battery. I would think using it plugged in and by-passing the charge/discharge cycles whenever possible would be GOOD for it.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
alxwang
Connoisseur
alxwang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PocketBook 360
hmm. Wallcraft, you are right. It does not worth to do that at all. Even replace a battery later will be better choice.
Thanks all.
alxwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxwang View Post
I use my laptop like this. As long as the battery fully charged the laptop will run on AC and battery will not charged at all.
Because I always use DR1000 in my reading corner in home so I always connect the USB charger to the DR1000.
It looks alright. DR1000 never show charge icon and the battery bar never goes down.

But I just want make sure: To use DR1000 like this way DR1000 will not be hurt, right?

Thanks
This is usually not good for your laptop, either....
Panasonic laptops have this special program keeping the charge at 60%. I'm not totally sure what's best in other cases.
Supposedly, charging and discharging, but not very full, and not very empty.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Gem
Gem began at the beginning.

Device: Still not sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
How is that a bad thing? Charge cycles are what reduces the life expectancy of the battery. I would think using it plugged in and by-passing the charge/discharge cycles whenever possible would be GOOD for it.
This depends on the type of battery. Some battery designs hate being fully discharged, others need it on a regular basis.
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem View Post
Some battery designs hate being fully discharged, others need it on a regular basis.
My understanding is that the batteries in the iRex devices are of the former type, IE full charge/discharge cycles reduce their lifespan.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
It seems that the battery in DR is lithium-ion polymer (varta polifelx).

From Wikipedia:
When compared to the lithium-ion battery, Li-poly has a greater life cycle degradation rate. However, in recent years, manufacturers have been declaring upwards of 500 charge-discharge cycles before the capacity drops to 80% (see Sanyo).
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
When compared to the lithium-ion battery, Li-poly has a greater life cycle degradation rate. However, in recent years, manufacturers have been declaring upwards of 500 charge-discharge cycles before the capacity drops to 80% (see Sanyo).
My understanding is also that full cycles are worse than partial ones. In other words, frequent "top offs" of the charge (or keeping it charged by using it while plugged in) are better for the life expectancy of the battery than fully discharging/recharging. What I usually do with mine is to recharge it when I've hit 50% instead of waiting until it runs all the way down, at least whenever possible.