Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 02-03-2022, 11:02 AM   #1
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
Viewer is slow - sometimes never opens book

Since Calibre was updated to become more web based in the function (I believe it was) (major code change), I have had problems viewing books. Of note, I use epub format.

Prior, I could open 10 at a time rather quickly.

Now, I often can't even get one to open.

It will sit on "Preparing for 1st view" for 5 minutes or more, sometimes never actually getting to the view. And I certainly cannot open more than one simultaneously (ie, one must finish opening if my luck is good before I can attempt to view another). If I don't, it yields an error of "not finding" a book and yields the same error then on the 1st I tried to open).
This is being used on a PC and not a server.

Do I need to do something in settings?

It has been so frustrating for some time now as I lost a major functionality of Calibre for my purposes in my very large library. Again, it only started once the big switch was made in the software to concentrate on web server functionality. (This description is my phrasing of how I remember it.)

I've been wanting to ask for awhile, but I kept thinking updates would fix it giving it time to work the kinks out of a new code.
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:09 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try rebooting windows in safe mode and see if your problem goes away.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2022, 11:13 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Be sure to whitelist your LIBRARY folder in your A/V. (all books have to pass thru a download place that SHOULD be auto scanned, proving they are OK to import).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:04 PM   #4
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It happens without antivirus too. Very annoying.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:15 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
It happens without antivirus too. Very annoying.
I normally see 30-45 seconds for normal - Large (<2M) books.
I can't imagine needing to open 10 at a time (and I have 16G RAM)

You might want to watch what is being used (Task Manager: Processes) to make it take 5 Min.

BTW Have you run a full Memory (eg Memtst86)test? Some of your RAM may be acting up.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@jecilop - Maybe it's the books.

Try downloading the following and viewing it. For me it opened within 5 secs first time, and 2 secs on second and subsequent reads.

Calibre User Guide - EPUB format

I use MS Defender with no exclusions on latest Win 10, and I index the drive I put in on, including an EPUB iFilter.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:42 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I still use the 3.48 viewer for exactly this reason. The viewer from 4.xx onward is much slower in opening books for the first time and this would seriously hamper my workflow (I usually open a book in the viewer to check the formatting).

Note I only use the old viewer, not an old Calibre version. Calibre itself is the latest.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
viewer