Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #61
azw409
Connoisseur
azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.

Device: Solar powered Kobo Touch running Android, Onyx M96C, Likebook Mars
The Guardian newspaper app. It's a UK serious newspaper (slightly left-wing) but has a superb app that looks good and works well on eInk Android app. It's also free but you can pay a subscription for increased functionality like the ability to download issues.
azw409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:47 PM   #62
huuduc1kk2
Enthusiast
huuduc1kk2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo, LifeBook plus
My App:
Driver,
Foxit PDF

BlueDict
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1twY...ew?usp=sharing

BB News

ES File Explorer

LDOCE 5 (dict)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B5q...ew?usp=sharing

WPS Office

Pocket

Moon Reader
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17OZ...ew?usp=sharing

Keep

RepliGo Reader
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FNr...ew?usp=sharing

ColorNote

Last edited by huuduc1kk2; 10-23-2018 at 10:53 PM.
huuduc1kk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #63
venga
venga began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note
can you, please, send me links to one of app, not from google play
venga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:11 AM   #64
venga
venga began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note
I didn't expect that eInk devices can work with android apps, maybe you know some apps for my yotaphone?
venga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:14 PM   #65
nick2011
nick2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX+Likebook Mars T80D
Here's my own list of apps used on Boyue Likebook Mars T80D (Android 6):

- E-books reading (all formats including .pdf): KOReader and Moon+ Reader Pro;
- Browsing: Firefox with Font Contrast and Theme Font & Size Changer add-ons;
- News: NewsBlur and apps of specific newspapers/magazines of course (Guardian and NYT seem to work pretty well) ;
- Weather: 1Weather;
- MP3 player (with folders management): Pi Music Player;
- Notes: Evernote;
- E-mail: BlueMail;
- Office documents: WPS Office (old "lighter" version 11.3.1);
- File manager with option to backup the current versions of your apps in case of bad surprise after updates: ES File Explorer (old "lighter" version 4.0.4);
- Cloud storage: Dropbox;
- Switching between apps without going via the Home page: DIESEL (need to be checked as "Boot from boot" and "Background activity" in User settings > Power management > Applications startup management).
nick2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #66
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
Tachiyomi

Tachiyomi

It's not available on any app download site I know of, except their own source code repository, so you can download it from here.

It's intended as a manga reader, but I use it to read some of my webcomics, the ones that are available on Webtoon and/or Tapas. I do still have the official apps for those services installed, but only in order to like and comment on comic pages. There are many other sources available, however, do be warned that some of the sources available are piracy sources, but those aren't enabled by default.

Tested on Likebook Mimas, using version 0.8.0 of that app. From what I remember, the 0.7.x and earlier releases weren't e-paper friendly.

Tips:
  • For the viewer mode, don't use the "Webtoon" mode, as that would require scrolling. Instead, use either "Left to right" or "Right to left". You could use the "Vertical" mode, but I find that to be uncomfortable when it comes to tap zones.
  • In the "Reader" section in the app settings, set "Double tap animation speed" to "No animation", and turn off "Page transitions".
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #67
maximus83
Nameless Being

Had a chance to play with a current version Likebook Mars for about 3 hours (not mine) and was able to install apps and try stuff with reckless abandon.

Some regular Android apps I tried:

* Pocket. Worked without issue.
* Feedly. Worked great, couldn't tell much difference from my phone except slower content page rendering.
* Solid File Explorer. File manager that can work unroooted or with root access, worked without issue.
* Microsoft Onenote. This one was a surprise, fully expected it NOT to work as I'd seen negative feedback on it elsewhere. But it works fine, with a caveat: it is not going to be able to handle the fancy features like drawing and native handwriting recognition that are built into Onenote. But....if you are content to just "share" text or images to it from other apps like your reader and your web browser, it works great for that. And you can still input text just fine, using the Likebook's screen keyboard. So I was pleasantly surprised at seeing OneNote work. That will be a win for some users.
* Firefox android. Worked without issue, including running the Ublock Origin ad-blocking add-on. Firefox did not perform noticeably worse than Boyue's native browser.
* Google Play Music. Worked ok, not perfectly, with 2 or 3 crashes. It hogs a fair amount of resources, searches and song loading were slower than expected, but it worked.
* Microsoft Swiftkey. Background: it enables 'swipe' style rapid data input. Expected it wouldn't work at all. Surprise, it actually does, although performance is laggy to the point of being unusable. Anyone who's used Gboard or Swiftkey for swipe-style typing knows how these apps leave these little 'trails' on your screen in the UI, to give you feedback on your swipe movements. The trails on the Likebook were incredibly slow to render and would linger too long, as the screen had trouble repainting fast enough to keep up. It did make for a few laughs, it looked downright bizarre as it got so far behind. In short, install Swiftkey only for entertainment but not to actually use. :-)

Last edited by maximus83; 03-23-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:10 AM   #68
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
* Firefox android. Worked without issue, including running the Ublock Origin ad-blocking add-on. Firefox did not perform noticeably worse than Boyue's native browser.

* Microsoft Swiftkey. Background: it enables 'swipe' style rapid data input. Expected it wouldn't work at all. Surprise, it actually does, although performance is laggy to the point of being unusable. Anyone who's used Gboard or Swiftkey for swipe-style typing knows how these apps leave these little 'trails' on your screen in the UI, to give you feedback on your swipe movements. The trails on the Likebook were incredibly slow to render and would linger too long, as the screen had trouble repainting fast enough to keep up. It did make for a few laughs, it looked downright bizarre as it got so far behind. In short, install Swiftkey only for entertainment but not to actually use. :-)
Interesting. I use Firefox in order to sidestep the forced A2 more in "Boyue's native browser", which is actually just the AOSP web browser from Android 4.0.

I also have Gboard installed, but only in order to get the "Google spell checker", and handwriting input, as I hate the fact that Gboard lacks the split keyboard, which the AOSP keyboard has.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #69
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustardOrMayo View Post
Interesting. I use Firefox in order to sidestep the forced A2 more in "Boyue's native browser", which is actually just the AOSP web browser from Android 4.0.

I also have Gboard installed, but only in order to get the "Google spell checker", and handwriting input, as I hate the fact that Gboard lacks the split keyboard, which the AOSP keyboard has.
How have you tried running any type of music app? Any issues at all? I didn't test others besides Google play music, but it was having some issues on the Likebook I tried. Again, that's sample of one, and I only had a few hours to play with it before I had to do a factory reset and help the actual owner set it up.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #70
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
How have you tried running any type of music app? Any issues at all? I didn't test others besides Google play music, but it was having some issues on the Likebook I tried. Again, that's sample of one, and I only had a few hours to play with it before I had to do a factory reset and help the actual owner set it up.
I don't use any music apps on mine, as I can't yet access my secondary music library to load music onto it. I know that Spotify won't be usable as it's mostly dark (ironically, the reason why I prefer it over Apple Music) and has lots of motion when changing tracks, so I plan to use the built-in music player instead.

Besides that, I currently don't listen to any audio, so I probably should've got a Boox Note Pro instead, but I need to remind myself there were other downsides to that, like the lack of a memory card slot, and no option for a white shell.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:43 AM   #71
relativize
relativize began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue Likebook Mars
File Manager from Flashlight + clock developer

Excellent file manager works very well and allows file transfer from the cloud, remotely on the local network or by ftp

Tested on my Boyue Likebook Mars
relativize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #72
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
onyx nova

applications that i installed from google play and are quite ok

andro search:
it's full indexing content of epub/pdf
pressreader:
so many world newspapers
pocket:
an application that i spread on all my devices, if i manage to find an interesting long read articles on the web, i save it for when i can read it on e-ink
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #73
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mising View Post
I have just started using Bookari (used to be Mantaro Reader) and really like it. It has a setting for e-ink compatibility in the settings that works really well. I picked it because it will sync between devices (at least the paid version does, but it is only $5) and has a good night mode (black background with white text) and supports epub3. I currently have an inkBook T61D and it runs flawlessly so your experience should be even better.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...reader.android
I have the new Nook Glowlight plus 2 rooted. I have koreader on it and it works fine for pdfs. The launcher I use is ReLaunchX which works good enough.

Looks like I should put es file explorer on this thing to deal with the cache and I'm sure things like evernote and dropbox probably work well enough on this thing but I have not tried them.

One thing I found is bookari would be awesome, on it, except for the fact that 5% to 10% of the text was sliced , in the middle, with the latter half of a word downward sloped.

I was using one version behind the most brand new version of bookari , though , because I needed the pay for best version apk without using the google play store.

That is too bad too as that would make the Nook Glowlight 2 superior to the kindle oasis and Kobo Forma.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 07-06-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #74
amin021023
Enthusiast
amin021023 began at the beginning.

Device: Fidibook
Hi, Does anybody know any good lightweight e-reader that supports highlighting and dictionary look-up while reading pdfs beside Koreader for e-ink?

Last edited by amin021023; 08-15-2019 at 10:29 PM.
amin021023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #75
blueskiesoki
blueskiesoki began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Lightbulb

I have a Likebook Mars with the following Apps:
Simple Ink Launcher 1.2 from here
Moon Reader Pro
Firefox with addons as suggested above
Read from apkpure here
Amazon Kindle from bouye app store
PressReader
Solitaire from f-droid here
Sudoku from f-droid here
Puzzles from f-droid here
KOReader for Android
Dictionaries for KOReader from here

Still trying to figure out how to get an inline dictionary to work with Moon reader?
I do use the Bookerly Font from here
blueskiesoki is offline   Reply With Quote