Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
hazel7797
hazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS 350, Kobo Mini 2012
Kobo Mini 2012

Hi everyone

I'm new here, and my name is Hazel, and I have a question for all you lovely folk.

I have recently purchased a Kobo Mini 2012 and was wondering, is it right that when I switch the book off completely (not just put it to sleep) it still keeps a picture of the book cover and percentage read on the screen? I have only owned Sony's before and their screens go off completely? It doesn't seem right to me and is most disconcerting.

The whole reason I bought the Kobo Mini was because of it's very tiny size and I thought it would be better for taking away on holiday with me. But I'm not sure about putting it away for months and months (until my next break) with the screen still on?

Does anyone know if this is just the way they are, or if there is something wrong with the one I have? The manual, doesn't say anything about that.

in advance.

Hazel
hazel7797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Your Mini is in "sleep mode", not completely off when you see a cover picture. You have to press the off button longer and then confirm on the screen that you are shutting down for it to be truly off. Sleep mode does not use much power but is meant to be used when you are away for a short time and allows you to resume reading more quickly than starting up from the shutdown state. When the Mini is off, you will see a happy face icon with "powered off" on the screen. Eink does not use any power to keep the pic on the screen, changing pages, using wifi etc is what will wear down the battery.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-05-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Actually, even when powered off it'll show the cover (though this can be turned off in the Power & Sleep settings). This is normal.

As for the power issue, showing the cover does not affect power use at all, beyond the power used for the initial drawing. For eInk screens, power is only used when drawing the page, so it's not consuming power when in sleep mode. In sleep mode, what's drawing power is stuff other than the screen, such as the wi-fi antenna (if wi-fi is on) and RAM (which needs to be powered so that the book/home screen opens instantly when you come out of sleep, rather than having to be loaded from the internal storage card).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
hazel7797
hazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS 350, Kobo Mini 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Your Mini is in "sleep mode", not completely off when you see a cover picture. You have to press the off button longer and then confirm on the screen that you are shutting down for it to be truly off. Sleep mode does not use much power but is meant to be used when you are away for a short time and allows you to resume reading more quickly than starting up from the shutdown state. When the Mini is off, you will see a happy face icon with "powered off" on the screen. Eink does not use any power to keep the pic on the screen, changing pages, using wifi etc is what will wear down the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Actually, even when powered off it'll show the cover (though this can be turned off in the Power & Sleep settings). This is normal.

As for the power issue, showing the cover does not affect power use at all, beyond the power used for the initial drawing. For eInk screens, power is only used when drawing the page, so it's not consuming power when in sleep mode. In sleep mode, what's drawing power is stuff other than the screen, such as the wi-fi antenna (if wi-fi is on) and RAM (which needs to be powered so that the book/home screen opens instantly when you come out of sleep, rather than having to be loaded from the internal storage card).
Thank you both so much for your quick responses! And JD, I will look for the setting to turn it off!

Hazel x
hazel7797 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, mini, problem, reader, touchscreen