Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #32596
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
If your excuse for not having your ID on you is that you left your purse in your car and you have a real attitude about it, demanding service even so, I sincerely hope your car gets broken into and your purse gets stolen.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:24 PM   #32597
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Why do you go into a store without your purse or wallet anyway? Aren't you there to purchase something? How do you expect to pay for it?
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:11 AM   #32598
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Why do you go into a store without your purse or wallet anyway? Aren't you there to purchase something? How do you expect to pay for it?
Not saying it was the case but nowadays you can go to the store without your wallet if the store allows payments made with your smartphone, the smartphone can easily substitute your wallet, we can use it in atm to retrieve cash without the bank card, or to send money to someone only using the mobile phone number for said person.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #32599
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
Not saying it was the case but nowadays you can go to the store without your wallet if the store allows payments made with your smartphone, the smartphone can easily substitute your wallet, we can use it in atm to retrieve cash without the bank card, or to send money to someone only using the mobile phone number for said person.
Yep. Not a store. They have to produce an ID to use the computer lab.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 11-14-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #32600
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Mother of HEAVEN.

Unfreakingbelievable.

Had a client today, who'd written a book of poetry, call me about the INSTRUCTIONS, for downloading and reading her books, right?

She was in TEARS. About how it was "too hard" and "too complicated." That there was too much stuff in the email that "didn't pertain to her." (Really? How does she know?)

TEARS, for the love of GOD. I am so completely over this nonsense. I mean, who gets into TEARS, over instructions?

I actually lost it with her. I told her, when she insisted that "there has to be a better way!" (her idea of a better way, of course, being that I'd magically reach through the net, install everything she needed, open the books, etc., FOR her) that yes, of course there's a 'better way.' The better way would be, when a publisher decides that they're going to publish ebooks, that they go out, download free eReaders and free eBooks, and learn how to download and open eBooks, themselves, on their OWN computers. An insane idea, I know.

I realize that's an outrageous expectation and demand--the outrageousness of thinking that someone who starts a small business should actually do some RESEARCH, should actually have some vague idea of what the hell they're selling--yes, yes, I'm an absurdist, to expect such a thing!

Unfreakingbelievable, in 2018, when there are thousands of blogs, videos, etc., above and beyond what WE provide, about using eReaders, downloading and saving files, the Mystery of File Extensions, and so forth, that someone cannot read instructions and follow them! What is WRONG with people?

I mean, I get it. You're a publisher only because you either cannot, or will not, get a publisher. Thus, you're "stuck" DIY. Fine--then DIY. Don't expect everyone else to compensate for the fact that you don't want to BE a publisher. If you're going to do it, for cripes' sake, at least pretend that you want to try to do a good job at it.

TEARS. Bloody CRYING, because she was expected to READ instructions. I ended up wasting an HOUR, an HOUR on the phone with her, because she insisted on continuing to call--even to the point where she blocked her Caller ID, rightfully thinking I would no longer pickup. Outrageous.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #32601
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Why publish a BOOK .... you know, a thing to READ .... if you won't yourself ever do any reading??? Sheesh --- I'm with you Hitch. What a blithering idiot.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #32602
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Ugh. This is going to sound terrible but I have, basically, lived on my own since I was in the dorms in college and I have been pretty happy that way. It's a long story but my mother has been living with me since my stepfather died nine years ago.

While there have been good things about this and I love my mom, it has been challenging and has only gotten worse. When she first moved in, the idea was that she would be at her cabin in the PNW 3-4 months out of the year and rent a trailer on the beach in Mexico where a bunch of her PNW friends winter.

This did not pan out. My brother and sister-in-law only had one child when Mom moved in with me and now they have three. None of sis-in-laws family live around here and Mom and I are the only close family. I work full-time and am useless with children, so Mom is basically all day, every day with those kids because sis-in-law had to go back to work after the second one.

So, that means several things. Mom has never done the Mexico thing, she has never been to the PNW cabin for more than two months, and she often brings three children under 9 to my tiny house and I feel like, not only have they taken over her life as well as those of their parents, they are taking over my life. I feel like my house is not my own and never know what to expect. Given my personality type, this makes me pretty unhappy at times.

To top it off, we usually go to a big group Thanksgiving hosted by members of a family that have been friends with our family for several generations. They're not doing it this year, so Mom is probably going to have them and the kids for Thanksgiving in my tiny house. It's going to be horrible. I mean, that party does include bro and sil's 3 and more but the older kids at that party keep the littles entertained and there are a lot of parents, too. Also, it's a bigger house.

When I try to set boundaries or let her know when too much is too much, I just get push back and gas-lighting. I know these are my nieces and nephew and I love them but I didn't care for the company of children even when I was a child myself. That's just not how I'm wired and I feel constantly on edge.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 11-14-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #32603
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suggest you tell your mother (not ask, tell) that the plan is to order carry-out food from somewhere (some places even do turkey) and you and she will be going over to the family of 5 brother's house to eat it.

If you absolutely cannot make that happen, then YOU get some carry out, and spend the day quietly by yourself somewhere. With instructions that the house is to be left in the same condition it started in, cleanness-wise.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #32604
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Yeah, make it at your brother's house. That way the mess is there and you can leave after dinner. Put your foot down and tell Mom it's not gonna be at your place.

My rant: Hey coworkers, I do not leave work early just for fun. I had an appointment. Don't call me at my house 15 minutes after I leave. I won't be there.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #32605
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

I'm actually thinking that covingtoncat's mom is due to move to brother's house right about now. If she is baby sitting their kids, it would be more convenient for everybody if she lived there. Your house would not get messed up. And brother needs to shoulder his part of looking out for her, since he's taking advantage of her as a built in baby sitter.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #32606
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Why publish a BOOK .... you know, a thing to READ .... if you won't yourself ever do any reading??? Sheesh --- I'm with you Hitch. What a blithering idiot.
Thanks. I mean...tears?! G-d, I thought I'd seen and heard it ALL.

I gotta find a better way, before these people kill all my leetle gray cells!

Hitch
Old 11-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #32607
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I'm actually thinking that covingtoncat's mom is due to move to brother's house right about now. If she is baby sitting their kids, it would be more convenient for everybody if she lived there. Your house would not get messed up. And brother needs to shoulder his part of looking out for her, since he's taking advantage of her as a built in baby sitter.
Yeah--this sounds about right to me, too.

We stopped doing Turkey Day with the fam, about..8 years ago. When it was at my SIL's (after MIL's death), fine, great. But then it moved to my husband's niece's house (daughter of SIL), and all her husband's fam, which has innumerable small raucous children
Spoiler:
(Danger, Danger Will Robinson! Danger!)
and a shedload of people I do not know. Now, we do our OWN Turkey, gravy, etc. and we send our warmest regards.

Obviously, CovCat can't do that--mom lives with her, but I think that Mom should be picked up in the morning by Brother, and brought home that night, by Brother, with CovCat having a much-needed and deserved DAY HOME ALONE, with books, a glass of wine or whatever, and all that.

Hitch
Old 11-14-2018, 11:26 PM   #32608
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'm so glad I live a couple of hours away from most of my family. Family holidays (and yes, with requisite number of brats screeching the day away) are difficult for me since I live alone and rarely have visitors. Quite used to peace and quiet (or at least of having control of what noise I choose to have playing in my home.

I can avoid the Thanksgiving and Easter holidays, but I don't think they'd forgive me if I didn't come home for Christmas.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #32609
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Unfreakingbelievable.

Had a client today, who'd written a book of poetry, call me about the INSTRUCTIONS, for downloading and reading her books, right?

She was in TEARS. About how it was "too hard" and "too complicated." That there was too much stuff in the email that "didn't pertain to her." (Really? How does she know?)

TEARS, for the love of GOD. I am so completely over this nonsense. I mean, who gets into TEARS, over instructions?

Hitch
Sounds like there might be some mental health issues there. It could be an opportunity to expand your business services, Hitch. Bookmaker, therapist and cat slave.

To save your own sanity, maybe you could find someone with a Gig economy mind set willing to provide technological hand holding. Tell people that you don't provide that service and recommend a specialist.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #32610
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Sounds like there might be some mental health issues there. It could be an opportunity to expand your business services, Hitch. Bookmaker, therapist and cat slave.

To save your own sanity, maybe you could find someone with a Gig economy mind set willing to provide technological hand holding. Tell people that you don't provide that service and recommend a specialist.
Nah - poets are just technology-averse - there's no rhyme or reason to it...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness