Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Screens and Scratches

My first reader was a Sony prs600. I would swipe the screen in the same area to turn the page. After about 75,000 page turns, I had a noticeable abrasion blur in this area. I bought my big ol' clunky Kindle DXG, in part, because it had page turn buttons. 175,000 page turns later, the screen is pristine but it's time to move on. I would like the advantages of a touch screen but I like a clear screen more.

Does anyone remember if the Sony prs600 was built with a softer screen material then current models?

Has anyone noticed abrasion blurring on the more recent touch screens?
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
I have not used ereaders long enough or intensely enough to have seen screen abrasion by touch. There are, however, great differences between screens.

Mine have been all glass, but for example there is a difference between Pearl and Carta (Carta wins). There is a difference of pixel density (the bigger the better, and anything below 200 is not worth it).

My Pocketbooks seem to not have as dark black colours as other ereaders. This could be fixable by having contrast settings on the ereader, but Pocketbooks do not have it.

Touch pens (or whatever you call them, I mean a thing like this) work on eink screens, somewhat. However, I only used one for short testing and I am not sure if they could hold off abrasion.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it concerns you, you could always buy a device with a glass rather than a plastic outer screen, such as the Kindle Voyage or Oasis. Glass screens are much more scratch-resistant.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
is there a list of glass vs plastic screened readers anywhere ?
I note you say that Kindle oasis & voyage are glass, what about paperwhite ? I don't recall coming across that on any lists of differences when i was researching what kindle to buy.

when I do use my paperwhite and not my tablets, pretty sure I tap, not swipe anyway.
it would take a lot of taps to lay down a mark, given that it would be pretty hard to always tap the exact same spot .
Moon+ on my tablets is set to only register taps, not swipes
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All the other Kindles have a plastic outer screen.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The Kindle Fire has a glass screen. It's made of Gorilla glass which is fairly strong. Can still be scratched but not easily. Corning ware makes the glass for it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I was referring to eInk devices .
Old 10-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All the other Kindles have a plastic outer screen.
Ok, I must have missed that when looking at differences.

What about the kobo range ?
Old 10-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was referring to eInk devices .
I know, but the KF can be used as a reader. I wonder why Amazon doesn't use GG on their eink devices as well myself. It would make them a lot sturdier.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I know, but the KF can be used as a reader. I wonder why Amazon doesn't use GG on their eink devices as well myself. It would make them a lot sturdier.
Goriloq Glass is heavier than plastic, probably ,also costs more.

From what Harry has posted , Amazon seem to have decided that glass is part of what makes the premium readers premium and justifies a higher price

I have to admit though ,having owned a voyage which was glass, and now a paperwhite, which isn't, I never noticed the difference!

I do like glass screened tablets though, easy to wipe clean with just a microfibre cloth

As to which is sturdier, I suspect the frame construction is a big factor
Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #11
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I'm amazed you've managed to read on a PRS600 this long. I kept mine a couple of weeks and ended up donating to my public library because I found it nearly unreadable.

Whatever you get, you're going to LOVE IT SO MUCH after years of reading on a PRS600.

Since you prefer buttons, looks like your best choices are the Kindle Voyage or Oasis, or the Kobo Forma.

There are some Android e-ink tablets that also have buttons that you might want to look into.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #12
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I'm amazed you've managed to read on a PRS600 this long. I kept mine a couple of weeks and ended up donating to my public library because I found it nearly unreadable.

Whatever you get, you're going to LOVE IT SO MUCH after years of reading on a PRS600.

Since you prefer buttons, looks like your best choices are the Kindle Voyage or Oasis, or the Kobo Forma.

There are some Android e-ink tablets that also have buttons that you might want to look into.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Clarifications:
I read on the PRS600 for two years (250 books for me) and it's been Kindle DXG for 6 years.

It's not that I prefer buttons so much as a preference not to accumulate abrasive scratches. The ability to tap-turn sounds like an improvement.

I was hoping someone would say the PRS600 had an inferior plastic screen.

As @stumped mentions, it is difficult to find out what screens are made of.

My biggest limiting preference is the desire for the larger screen size. Portability is not an issue.

Your suggestion of the Kobo Forma is probably the way I'll go but it means waiting until MobileRead members have a chance to share their evaluations.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #13
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
When I was recently looking into purchasing a new reader, I came across the Pocketbook Touch HD, which has nice page turn buttons as well as a touch screen (and blue light filter if that interests you). I didn't choose it because of the poor English - English dictionary support, but you might find it worth a look.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote