Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #16
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad2, Galaxy Note II, HTC Desire HD
The Voyage is by far the best option, unless you want to listen to audiobooks on the Kindle; I think it's a great pity they have been discontinued. I was stupid enough to leave my Voyage on a train in September and as soon as I got home I ordered a Paperwhite (last version) and an Oasis. I sent the Paperwhite straight back, due to the weight, sluggishness and bezel, which I'd forgotten all about. The refurbished voyages came into stock, so I bought one. They are on offer now so I have just bought my husband one - he has the early Paperwhite from 2013.

I love the larger screen on the Oasis so I have kept it, although I am not wild about the form factor or the buttons. The lighting is not bad but not as even as I'd hoped. The page press technology is far better IMO.
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:43 PM   #17
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I wish I could keep using my Voyage, but it has deteriorated badly. I bought it 4 years ago right after they came out. After about 2 years, or a little less, the plastic finish on the back started to bubble and peel. I lived with that. Now, however, the bottom 25% of the screen has begun to face badly, particularly near the sides, making the last couple lines of every page nearly unreadable. I haven't heard of anyone else with these problems, so maybe I just got unlucky. I took good care of the device, but I do live in the tropics.

I'm giving the new Paperwhite a shot.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Because it's newer? The Voyage is really a much higher end device. And they can still be bought new if you want to pay the extra $20 for no ads. (Bottom on the list, new from Amazon.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...y_technology=0
The Voyage looks like it's at it's end-of-life. The advert on Amazon for the PW4 shows the Kindle, PW4, and KO2. It does not include the Voyage as part of the comparison.

As for buying the PW4, it's newer, waterproof, flush screen, lighter, no buttons, and cheaper.

As for those who say that could easily turn the page with a flush screen,get a case. Using a case makes a Reader much easier to hold. I've experience with a Sony 500,505,650, 700. & Kobo H2O v1, & Kindle Touch, Basic, PW3. So yes, I can say for sure that a case makes a Reader easier to hold and this is from experience with a number of different Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Old, non-front-lit eReaders. Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos and Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Voyage looks like it's at it's end-of-life. The advert on Amazon for the PW4 shows the Kindle, PW4, and KO2. It does not include the Voyage as part of the comparison.

As for buying the PW4, it's newer, waterproof, flush screen, lighter, no buttons, and cheaper.
I understand that the Voyage is probably at the end of its life, but they're still available new and they have better lighting, a flush screen (like the Paperwhite 4) ... and they have buttons (which I consider a huge plus). The Voyage is also a little "sleeker" (but not much). But, more importantly to me, the Voyage's battery can easily be replaced. If Amazon used the same waterproofing scheme on the Paperwhite 4 as they used on the new Oasis, that will not be an option on the Paperwhite 4. For me, being able to replace the battery trumps waterproofing.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #20
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle PW2 and Voyage; Kobo Aura HD and One
I agree with rcentros--although being able to replace the battery isn't quite as important to me--as I probably won't ever do this.

I've had my Voyage a little over three years now and am not tempted to replace it. I hope it keeps going strong for some time.

I know some people don't like the haptic page turn buttons, but these seem to be a perfect solution to me. Less obtrusive than regular buttons as they aren't raised above the screen, yet they operate well (for me at least) to turn pages with in books--and I can swipe if I feel like it. The adaptive light on the Voyage works very well once it "learned" my preferred settings. I very rarely, if ever, adjust the lighting on my Voyage manually. The Voyage does only have 4gb of storage compared to 8 or 32 on the new Paperwhite--but this too isn't a problem for me. I have about 1500 books on my Voyage and still have plenty of room for more.

I'm sure I would like the new Paperwhite, but if something were to happen to my Voyage, I would first look to buy a new or factory refurbished Voyage.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote