Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-04-2018, 06:10 AM   #16
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
What about the battery life problem? Anyone at Onyx working on that, too?
Actually if you use Max2 in regular mode, which means
- not used as secondary monitor
- disabled WiFi and Bluetooth
- set it in suspend mode by inactivity (or allow automatic)

the battery state on my sample device showed 13% after 12 days in use by ca 1-2 hours of reading time per day

If you use actively power consumer like Bluetooth, the one charge lifetime will be obviously much shorter but still acceptable. Also I noticed that after a couple of recharging cycles the lifetime of the battery also has increased .
Good news is in last months Onyx noticeably increased quantity of employers in the dev team and is working on many task concerning new devices much more effectively. Power management optimization is one of the highest priority tasks. So no doubt it will be enhanced.

Last edited by Booxtor; 01-04-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:24 AM   #17
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Actually if you use Max2 in regular mode, which means
- not used as secondary monitor
Actually, Booxtor, just for precision: the "secondary monitor" function throught HDMI does not need to drain all that battery. It's just how it works now. The devs must simply optimize the rendering algorithm: static content on the screen must not change. I am totally sure that it will not be that difficult to fix it.
That done, the "monitor via HDMI" function will be more battery conservative than normal web browsing.

BTW: please do not forget about me, I have things to submit as you know, it's best to start as soon as possible! ; )

EDIT (I add this for the people who may not have fully got my other reports): currently a box rendered by the monitor function is a dynamic container for something like the "old television snow effect", because the dithering is calculated every frame. All greyscales rendered through dithering in A2 will be akin to a snapshot of a salt-and-pepper mixture. What must happen is, that mixture of black and white dots must be static, not an animation like in the "television snow effect noise".

Last edited by mdp; 01-04-2018 at 07:30 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 08:04 AM   #18
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Cannot do tests now - but I can mention that YouTube (the website) does not even work at all (on a desktop) if you disable javascript, and that it is extremely heavy already on very high end mobile devices. If you wanted to install Firefox or Chrome on the Max2, and try YouTube, that would be a real challenge. But as said, the yt script load has the best over high-end Samsung - so, that it even works would be the challenge.
mdp -- i noticed you have the Max2 also, can you (or anyone else with a Max2) go to Library and and rebuild it?

as mentioned in my post, when i did this it imported 300+ PDF's from starting with page0.pdf. when i try to open one it is password protected.

i just want to check if anyone else is getting this, or whether or not i am the only one receiving a Max2 with an extra 300+ pdfs internally.

Quote:
i am assuming / hoping they are hard at work on this one since it was revealed early on there was an issue, this is the first ereader i seen eat up battery life like this.

one thing to note is, my Max2 was not going to sleep automatically (i double checked that power management settings were correct), so it was just at the same active screen the entire time when i stopped using it.

im waiting on the OTA for Google Play Services before using the device again. i'll be able to look into battery life again once the update is available

Last edited by oranges; 01-04-2018 at 08:14 AM.
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #19
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
mdp -- i noticed you have the Max2 also, can you (or anyone else with a Max2) go to Library and and rebuild it?

as mentioned in my post, when i did this it imported 300+ PDF's from starting with page0.pdf. when i try to open one it is password protected.
Just did: no, I only get the material I loaded on the device.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #20
marcosscriven
Enthusiast
marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Boox Max 2
Quote:
In my opinion is there is a battery life problem. Even with wifi/bluetooth off, and not using it in monitor mode, if you set the device to not completely switch off (but stand by instead, like the Kindle and most other ereaders do), the battery still doesn't last a whole day, even if you're not using it. It just drains battery in the background.

You can of course set it to power down automatically, but then you're having to boot the device from cold each time you use it. That takes quite a lot of time.

Now, by all means trust Booxtor and buy one, but don't make any complaints about it. Otherwise you'll be told:
  • You're an idiot for not researching it before hand
  • Your complaints are imagined or your expectations too high
  • That you're too dumb to sort out any issues yourself.
  • That you have buyers remorse and probably didn't want the device anyway

In fact, pretty much anything except take your complaints and issues seriously.

Oh, and if you do buy from ereader-store.de, ensure you take some snapshots of all the conditions and returns policies beforehand, as Booxtor can (and demonstrably has) changed the terms before, specifically the clause I was relying on.
marcosscriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #21
mdp
Wizard

I am having problems in rooting the device.

I need root to access the network (`ifconfig` etc.)

-- Cydia impactor (latest, 0.9.43) does not work.
-- KingoRoot (which Booxtor recommended elsewhere) asks for an internet connection: WTF? FO!
-- root-master-3.0-english.apk states "Device too strong. Let us know what it is..."
Old 01-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #22
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosscriven View Post
In my opinion is there is a battery life problem. Even with wifi/bluetooth off, and not using it in monitor mode, if you set the device to not completely switch off (but stand by instead, like the Kindle and most other ereaders do), the battery still doesn't last a whole day, even if you're not using it. It just drains battery in the background.

You can of course set it to power down automatically, but then you're having to boot the device from cold each time you use it. That takes quite a lot of time.
this is the actual experience i have on my Max2 right now also.

Quote:
Now, by all means trust Booxtor and buy one, but don't make any complaints about it. Otherwise you'll be told:
  • You're an idiot for not researching it before hand
  • Your complaints are imagined or your expectations too high
  • That you're too dumb to sort out any issues yourself.
  • That you have buyers remorse and probably didn't want the device anyway

In fact, pretty much anything except take your complaints and issues seriously.

Oh, and if you do buy from ereader-store.de, ensure you take some snapshots of all the conditions and returns policies beforehand, as Booxtor can (and demonstrably has) changed the terms before, specifically the clause I was relying on.
this isn't related to Max2 issues, but is more of a vendor opinion. if anyone wants to reply (please keep this thread to Max2 issues), here is the thread
Old 01-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #23
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I am having problems in rooting the device.
I need root to access the network (`ifconfig` etc.)
The real issue here is "making tethering work" - otherwise, I would not need root.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:35 AM   #24
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Now, by all means
You are really, really, really annoying lad.
Stop. Junking. This. Board.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #25
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Are you going to follow all posters who mention this device and post about your complaint? Because that isn't ok.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #26
marcosscriven
Enthusiast
marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Are you going to follow all posters who mention this device and post about your complaint? Because that isn't ok.
I honestly think it's fair warning. But if I'm not welcome here, I can go. I use my full name as you can see, it's not as if I'm an anonymous troll. I stand by my words.
marcosscriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:47 AM   #27
oranges
Enthusiast

Quote:
You are really, really, really annoying lad.
Stop. Junking. This. Board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Quote:
I honestly think it's fair warning. But if I'm not welcome here, I can go. I use my full name as you can see, it's not as if I'm an anonymous troll. I stand by my words.
i dunno who the mod is on the forum, but if they aren't active, this thread is soon going to turn into the original one regarding an upset customer about ereader-store.de

again, please keep this thread related to Max2 issues so we can discuss actual issues about the Max2 that owners are experiencing.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:51 AM   #28
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Bringing your issue with a vendor to other threads that have nothing to do with that is poor forum behavior. You're sounding more and more like a child having a hissy fit, and I doubt it will be tolerated here.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #29
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
The real issue here is "making tethering work" - otherwise, I would not need root.
I see (found) that the tethering can be set from the "developer options", "networking" section (see screenshot).
(I access the Android settings with `adb shell am start com.android.settings`, because this firmware only left the "dumbed down" settings interface.)
Unfortunately, although I see the device in the network connections of the desktop, I do not get an IP address (see screenshot).

Working on it, but if you get a solution sooner...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	developer_options.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	161234   Click image for larger version

Name:	terminal_ifconfig.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	161235  
Old 01-04-2018, 09:31 AM   #30
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
My issues as posted in the other thread and reposted here (sorry, hadn't noticed the newly opened thread):

- Google Play services is a problem for me as well, but I can see booxtor has promised a solution soon

- the Power button is really annoying, especially since it seems so easy to have been prevented. Of course booxtors solution works, but then you need to activate it every time you open a new document (or reopen an "old" one).
My workaround for now is an app called Rotation Control, with which I simply can rotate the whole screen 180°. Then the bindings of forward/backwards buttons are "wrong" (which can be changed for the Neoreader app, but not as easy for the rest of the apps), but onscreen page turns are still right and working.

- the scribble function (both in the reading app and the notes app) got the device to "hang", rendering it unresponsive for a couple of minutes (2-3). I have not yet found out what triggered this.

I am still looking for a way to display two pages side by side in landscape mode. Cannot find the function in the Neoreader app, and Mobilesheets app simply ignores when I try to adjust the setting - does not turn from protrait to landscape and does not display two pages either.

I have no issues with suddenly appearing pdfs in my library, only those files that I put into the "books" folder (which is the only one I let neoreader import), also when I rebuild the library.

I also have no issues to connect the boox max 2 as secondary monitor. Works like a charm, is just for me nothing I will use on a permanent basis, but it works as mdp has described. For word processing and the like - no problem at all.
I was wondering about the recommendation of using the charger with the monitor mode. If that drains the battery, then after my knowledge it is not good for the lifespan of the battery to charge it simultaneously.

Question (if offtopic here, I will post it elsewhere): is there a possibility to import a library with sublibraries mirroring a folder structure? I mean, e.g., if I copied my score collection with lots and lots of folders and files into the book folder, that the library automatically organized it as sublibraries according to the folder structure?)

/Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote