Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
GoversAU
Enthusiast
GoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Oasis
Will Kindle become the ereader orphan?

Quote:
"Google buys eBook Technologies

Digital books sold through the eBookstore can be read on the Sony Reader, the "Nook" from Barnes & Noble and other dedicated e-readers but not on the popular Kindle from Amazon."
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...114-19q3i.html

I just don't see how Amazon can hold the line on this. There must come a time, and soon, when they provide Epub capability on Kindles.
GoversAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I honestly can't see why. They have the world's largest ebook store and they own their own format and DRM mechanism. There's no reason at all for them to adopt ePub. They want people to buy from their store, not from other people's.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
GoversAU
Enthusiast
GoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it is

I can see your point when it comes to other ebook sellers such as B & N, but Google is a BIG player.

I think this could be a battle like VHS vs Beta where there can be only one winner.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Will Kindle become the ereader orphan?
If so, I'll gladly be opening an orphanage for wayward Kindles.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
GoversAU
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If so, I'll gladly be opening an orphanage for wayward Kindles.
You'll have lots of willing fosterers!

(Not sure fosterers is actually a word but you get my point.)

Last edited by GoversAU; 01-13-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: missing word
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I wish Amazon supported ePub, but I agree with Harry. Supporting it would only encourage their customers to shop at competitors. I also wouldn't bet against Amazon, especially since the Google software has its own issues. If I were buying my first eReader today it would still be a Kindle.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If Amazon feels that it is in its best interest to support EPub it will support EPub.

Given that Nook, Sony, and Kobo readers are buying books from Amazon I am sure that adding EPub to the Kindle would only increase the amount of money that Amazon makes.

Honestly, I am not all that worried about it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Yay Google again!
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Amazon won't ever need to provide epub support, unless someone else is offering a substantial collection not available at Amazon.

If Google gets the actual rights to sell orphan & out-of-print books without directly negotiating for each of them (that's what the settlement includes, but it hasn't been approved, and it faces some serious obstacles), it could eventually push Amazon into supporting epub. But unless there are thousands of much-desired ebooks that *can't convert* to Kindle formats, they don't need to broaden their support.

Right now, the indie presses aren't competing with that market, because non-DRM'd ebooks can just run through Amazon's converter. And if Google books are only readable online, that won't be a factor, because they won't be readable with the Kindle anyway. (Unless Kindle's web viewer allows them, in which case, still not a reason to expand.)

But if Google is offering thousands of *wanted* books in epub (... if they get better than raw OCR output for their books...), buyers might get tired of having to send them through the converter. Instead of upgrading their Kindles, they might a Nook or Sony when they want a new ebook reader.

It'd take a huge collection and a fun-to-browse ebookstore to make it worth considering a switch. That, or a shift in ebook standards so that people demand the formatting abilities of epub that are missing in mobi. That'd take publishers providing ebooks in other than basic text-with-ital/bold for ebooks; I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Amazon doesn't have to provide ePub capability on their Kindle. They actually could simply offer both mobi and ePub editions of some or all of the e-books they sell.

It won't happen tomorrow. But I bought my Sony Reader from an Amazon vendor. I figure it's more likely they'll offer ePubs in some fashion eventually - if not through Amazon directly, then through one of their "Marketplace" vendors.
Cheers,
Bev
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
All I can tell you is that I've tried out the Google bookstore a couple of times now. For a company that made its name off of being a search engine - that search is about a sucktastic as it could possibly be.

But I agree with the above, for Google to orphan Amazon they will have to offer something that Amazon doesn't. Better prices, different books, something. Simply entering the game at this point isn't going to do it because we all already HAVE plenty of places to shop for eBooks.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #12
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
All I can tell you is that I've tried out the Google bookstore a couple of times now. For a company that made its name off of being a search engine - that search is about a sucktastic as it could possibly be.

But I agree with the above, for Google to orphan Amazon they will have to offer something that Amazon doesn't. Better prices, different books, something. Simply entering the game at this point isn't going to do it because we all already HAVE plenty of places to shop for eBooks.
Google already knows it's search sucks:
http://venturebeat.com/2011/01/12/google-search/
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Why is no-one ever ranting about how come Google or B&N don't support azw or mobi?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
Why is no-one ever ranting about how come Google or B&N don't support azw or mobi?
Personally, for the simple reason that they don't do business outside the US, so I really couldn't give a damn what they sell .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Quote:
Amazon won't ever need to provide epub support, unless someone else is offering a substantial collection not available at Amazon.
That time has already come, in Europe at least. Try to search for a few (DRM'ed) German, French, Dutch, Spanish,... books in mobi and then try it in epub. Unless your sample is very small or skewed in some way, you will find a clear epub win. Except of UK, Amazon is totally loosing the battle in Europe.
It is true that just switching to epub would not help dramatically: it is also about too little advertisement and too small focus. The reader has to be ordered from US, US warranty conditions apply etc. However, it is likely that Amazon will try to reconsider and focus more on Europe at some point - and at that point they might HAVE TO start supporting epub.

Last edited by janvanmaar; 01-13-2011 at 06:07 PM.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote