Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-10-2018, 07:13 AM   #4891
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My TBR is one down on the start of the year!!!!!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #4892
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Another Festivus miracle! (A little early, but 'tis the season.)
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #4893
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
If you're finding time to read 43 books a month, I can understand why you're not building up a TBR list. Even on my 'worst' year, I only bought 394 books. (which is about 33 a month.)

Clearly you need to haunt the offers threads, and perhaps you *should* be getting freebies from new authors to try.
It is per year not per month after all I am not Spencer Reed from Criminal Minds that can read War and Peace in 15 minutes LOL
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:40 AM   #4894
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Reading this thread definitely makes me feel like I am suffering from a first world problem -- I can't seem to build up a TBR list.

I rarely keep track of how many books I purchase in a month but for November I decided to keep track of my purchases. I purchased 32 books of which most were on sale or part of a series I already own. I read 43 books which includes the last 9 books in the Honor Harrington series
If you're finding time to read 43 books a month, I can understand why you're not building up a TBR list. Even on my 'worst' year, I only bought 394 books. (which is about 33 a month.)

Clearly you need to haunt the offers threads, and perhaps you *should* be getting freebies from new authors to try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
It is per year not per month after all I am not Spencer Reed from Criminal Minds that can read War and Peace in 15 minutes LOL
Ummm... I think the response was to my message not your message. While I don't manage Spencer Reed's reading speed, I do inhabit the speedy end of the bell curve. War and Peace would take me about 12 hours of reading time not counting any induced naps compared to Spencer Reed's projected 30 minutes at 20,000WPM.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-13-2018 at 02:48 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #4895
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Mine is getting worse every day!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #4896
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Congratulations! A goal is a goal!!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #4897
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Ummm... I think the response was to my message not your message. While I don't manage Spencer Reed's reading speed, I do inhabit the speedy end of the bell curve. War and Peace would take me about 12 hours of reading time not counting any induced naps compared to Spencer Reed's projected 30 minutes at 20,000WPM.

Yep you are right I do not how I got that confused. LOL

I am faster than I was a few years ago. It once took me several months to read 1 book now I can read 2 or 3 books a month if they are reasonable size. 800+ pages forget it I get bored by page 400 and takes me eons to finish lol I try to stick with books 500 pages or less. I am still struggling with The Talisman. I purchased it in August I think and I am only 70% in.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #4898
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yep you are right I do not how I got that confused. LOL
800+ pages forget it I get bored by page 400 and takes me eons to finish lol
In general, I agree with this - 400 pages is plenty for almost all fiction, too much for a lot of fiction, imo. That said, two of my favourite works of fiction are both 1200+, Monte Cristo and A Suitable Boy. Non-fiction I don't mind in the 600-800 page range if its a topic I enjoy and is well-presented
Old 12-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #4899
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
In general, I agree with this - 400 pages is plenty for almost all fiction, too much for a lot of fiction, imo. That said, two of my favourite works of fiction are both 1200+, Monte Cristo and A Suitable Boy. Non-fiction I don't mind in the 600-800 page range if its a topic I enjoy and is well-presented
The only big book I found worth reading so far is Seveneves by Neal Stephenson by far the best sci-fi book I ever read. I have Count of Monte Cristo have not read yet
Old 12-16-2018, 07:26 PM   #4900
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
I have read War and Peace four times now. I've read the newest translation (which I adore) twice. My hardcover clocks in at 1274 pages plus the 50ish pages of notes. I can't imagine that I won't start another read by the end of 2019.

I understand longer works of sci-fi, fantasy and historical fiction as all of them involve a good deal of world building.

Different strokes for different folks.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #4901
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
The only big book I found worth reading so far is Seveneves by Neal Stephenson by far the best sci-fi book I ever read. I have Count of Monte Cristo have not read yet

If Lord of the Rings is treated as one volume, as it's often packaged, then having read that 18 times probably counts as a long read. I have War and Peace on my 2019 "try" list, so will see how I go with that. There's not nearly the same consensus on translations with that one though, compared to Monte Cristo.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #4902
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
If Lord of the Rings is treated as one volume, as it's often packaged, then having read that 18 times probably counts as a long read. I have War and Peace on my 2019 "try" list, so will see how I go with that. There's not nearly the same consensus on translations with that one though, compared to Monte Cristo.
For what it is worth, I really love the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation. They are a married translation team. She is a native Russian and I just love the way the language flows in all their translations. And the historical and cultural footnotes are phenomenal.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #4903
HLS
Wizard

Quote:

I started to read war and peace and stopped after a few chapters. It reads like a really good book I just was not into reading a long book at the time.

I have a few ebooks that have over 20,000 pages (according to amazon description) some of my story collections

Last edited by HLS; 12-17-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #4904
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
For what it is worth, I really love the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation. They are a married translation team. She is a native Russian and I just love the way the language flows in all their translations. And the historical and cultural footnotes are phenomenal.
When I was "shopping" for translations, I asked a russophone blogger for his advice. He said that he doesn't read translations and advised me to find one that I liked (hooray for Kindle samples!), but did say that he personally does not like the P&V approach to the translation, and his distaste was strong enough to dissuade me. I ended up getting the Maude.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:50 AM   #4905
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If Lord of the Rings is treated as one volume, as it's often packaged, then having read that 18 times probably counts as a long read.
Well, LOTR tells you itself that it's a single novel . To quote from the "Note on the Text", which is found at the very start of modern editions:

Quote:
J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings is often erroneously called a trilogy, when it is in fact a single novel, consisting of six books plus appendices, sometimes published in three volumes.
Like you, I re-read it every couple of years!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote