Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #31
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Just for the record, I'm running kubuntu 18.04, sigil 0.9.9 (built from source) and loaded Qt 5.9.5, and I experience this crash.

I'm not sure why I never noticed it before, since every time I make an epub I generate a toc.xhtml (which ends up as the first file, of course) and move it down to just before the text of the book starts. (i.e. the end of the frontmatter). Now, that causes the crash as described above.

Might be because I only just recently ugraded kubuntu from 16.04.x to 18.04.1.

In any event, adding "XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=XFCE" to the sigil startup file fixes the problem.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
At the very least, I think I'll add that line (commented out) to Sigil's launch script. That way, we can tell tell people who have problems on KDE to simply uncomment the line.

This is more evidence (IMO) that the problem lies with KDE's qt platform plugin.

In the meantime, I'll fire up a KDE VM and see if I can't find a workaround that doesn't involve "tricking" Qt into thinking it doesn't need to load KDE's platform plugin.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #33
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Where can I find the source code to the KDE Qt plugin? I think we should search its code base for where that exact error message is generated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
OK. Well that is three distros now that have reported the problem, Mageia 6, PCLOS, and now Debian.

It looks like the Sigil code sets up the QTreeView and then Qt takes over for the drag and drop. I put some printf's in the code in OPFModel::RowsRemovedHandler() to see how far it got. After I drop the file in its new location, I see a bunch of the errors:

Code:
Trying to construct an instance of an invalid type, type id : xxxxxxx
and then the GUI is locked up.

If I recall correctly, the execution never got to the OPFModel::RowsRemovedHandler() method, where the Spine Order is updated. So it is locking up before Sigil gets it back. I would have to double check that to confirm; my memory is vague on that.

Anyway, it looks like Sigil sets up the QTreeView and then Qt handles it.... incorrectly.. and after that the interface is partially locked up.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #34
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Googling that error message gets me this Qt bug report:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBU...iewStatus=Open

Which only hits KDE and seems to involve Icons.

That specific error message is generated here according to google:

https://code.woboq.org/qt5/qtbase/sr...riant_p.h.html

and again here:

https://code.woboq.org/qt5/qtbase/sr...riant.cpp.html

And here is a very simple standalone Qt program that can be built easily and shows the same issues via drag and drop of items with icons but only under KDE, otherwize the program works fine.

https://gitlab.com/bugpocs/WidgetListCrash

So the Icon is being stored in a QVariant but something is creating a bad QVariant type?

Last edited by KevinH; 10-10-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #35
KevinH
Sigil Developer

What do you want to bet this is related to the KDE Qt plugin using is own icons for Folders and HTML files that are different from those that are standard in Qt?
Old 10-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #36
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

And here is a very simple standalone Qt program that can be built easily and shows the same issues via drag and drop of items with icons but only under KDE, otherwize the program works fine.

https://gitlab.com/bugpocs/WidgetListCrash
Would someone on Linux with access to KDE please build this small testcase using qmake and verify that it only has issues with KDE and not other Desktops.

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 10-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What do you want to bet this is related to the KDE Qt plugin using is own icons for Folders and HTML files that are different from those that are standard in Qt?
It's a good bet. It probably affects what QFileIconProvider.icon(QFile) returns (which is what we use to assign the icon in Resource.cpp).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-10-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #38
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Here is an interesting link that shows up to May 2017 QFileIconProvider did not even work under plasma, it returned an empty pixmap...

https://phabricator.kde.org/R135:7a7...e6e8aabe45b7ed
Old 10-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

And that's just last year! But at least some portions of QFileIconProvider have to be working. Afterall... it's used to initialize the tree in the first place. All of the folder icons and the initial file icons are successfully retrieved via QFileIconProvider in OPFModel.cpp and Resource.cpp. It's only after reordering that things blow up in KDE

I believe QFileIconProvider has some flags that can be set to limit it to default icons only. I wonder if that's worth exploring?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-10-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Would someone on Linux with access to KDE please build this small testcase using qmake and verify that it only has issues with KDE and not other Desktops.

Thanks,

KevinH
Crashes immediately when dragging an item with an icon on Kubuntu 16.04, but hasn't crashed for me on a non-KDE DE yet.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #41
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Wow ... It is a very simple testcase! The backtrace from the original bug report did not show any Plasma/KDE info so the KDE people ignored it and asked the original poster to file it at Qt so nothing was ever done as far as I can tell.

Well at least with this testcase we are now certain that the problem has nothing to do with Sigil.

I am going to go over that testcase to see how file Icons are being set in case that points us someplace.

Thanks for building and running the testcase!
Old 10-10-2018, 10:30 PM   #42
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FWIW, the implementation in the KDE plugin for QFileIcon provider uses fromTheme as well:

Code:
	QIcon KdePlatformTheme::fileIcon(const QFileInfo &fileInfo, QPlatformTheme::IconOptions iconOptions) const
114		{
115		    if (iconOptions.testFlag(DontUseCustomDirectoryIcons) && fileInfo.isDir()) {
116		        return QIcon::fromTheme(QLatin1String("inode-directory"));
117		    }
119		    return QIcon::fromTheme(KIO::iconNameForUrl(QUrl::fromLocalFile(fileInfo.absoluteFilePath())));
120		}
And the simple testcase does the following:
Code:
QListWidgetItem *firstItem = new QListWidgetItem(QIcon::fromTheme("dialog-information"),
                                                     "ONE");
So my guess is that QIcon routine is or its themed version is where the trouble may be.

Last edited by KevinH; 10-10-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #43
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Or given it works initially (the File Icon shows up) it might be related to QIcon cacheing code someplace as well.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #44
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Asus Zen Pad
I compiled and ran WidgetListCrash on my Mageia system. It crashes when I move an item with an icon. It also duplicates the items when I drag items with no icons. See attached screen capture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WidgetListCrash.png
Views:	146
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	166851  
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The duplication thing is expected. There's no copy/remove code implemented in the test. It's just simply illustrating the drag/drop crash and nothing else.

Tags
drag and drop, reorder chapters, sigil crashes