Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
iRex updates their website

http://www.irextechnologies.com
Announcement: http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1016

It definitely looks a lot more modern and cleaner. But what I think is interesting, is all it's hints at upcoming features. There's lots of mention of RSS feeds and comics.

This picture is interesting:

It shows lots of new buttons at the bottom. (It almost looks too busy). I've tried blowing it up, and I can make out the battery button and screen rotate, but most of them are too difficult to tell what they are.

It appears that iRex is trying to build a good b2b base, as well as reach out to new customers. I think things may start to pick up soon, and that we just got in the game a bit too early.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
This picture is interesting:[...] It shows lots of new buttons at the bottom. (It almost looks too busy). I've tried blowing it up, and I can make out the battery button and screen rotate, but most of them are too difficult to tell what they are.
It looks like one of the very old pictures to me. "very old" as in "promo pictures that were distributed before the shop opened in 2006". Those had really many buttons.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
ali
Addict

From http://www.irextechnologies.com/products/features:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.irextechnologies.com/products/features
Fortunately, your iLiad will allow you to read and write up to 15 hours without recharging the battery.
We knew it was just a matter of time 'till the 21 hours in the specs would be erased, so now it happened.

I feel like a fraud victim now. In my own opinion, from my guts, where there is no objectivity, I think iRex is full of crap.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
ali
Addict

Another finding: http://drupal.irexnet.com/business/cases.

That looks to me like the earlier discussion how they concentrate on their über-super B2B model because it's just so elite and sweet and rewarding was just nonsense. They seem to have two B2B things running, where one is a "trial" and the other one is the nonsuccessful flybook.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
We knew it was just a matter of time 'till the 21 hours in the specs would be erased, so now it happened.
15 hours to me, is no problem. That means I can pretty much have my iliad running on it's own power from the time I wake up, till I go to bed. Othwise, it will be on it's charger.

I think that, along with a suspend to CF/MMC wouldn't be too bad. If we could have a quick(er) startup, it would make up for a loss of battery life.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
From http://www.irextechnologies.com/products/features:

I feel like a fraud victim now. In my own opinion, from my guts, where there is no objectivity, I think iRex is full of crap.
Even "read and write up to 15 hours" is only a lie.

First of all you will not write for more than 3-4 hours straight.
Secondly its only 10 hours maximum (OK they may improve this with v2.9).

But they don't utilise the real benefit of epaper technology, you should be able to measure battery life in terms of page turns rather than hours if the power management would be OK! That's the shame!

I like irex but this is what they should work on, not "additional features". I hate charging this device, I have always fear of breaking the plug.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

why the hell do they have a color photo on on of their iliad screenshots (second from the left) on the frontpage?
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

One more thing:

In almost every picture the screen of iLiad is too bright. the contrast made to be seen artifically better.

This is another lie into the face of the customers. My one is dirty gray or should I phrase it dark gray?
The concept is good, the technology is good, but do not make it to look different and so much better than it is actually! You commit a lie, a sin unfortunately, brother.
I am sympathetic to iRex, but I can not identify myself with what they are doing in this area. Sorry, I had to state this.
I would have bought the iLiad knowing that the screen is dark gray too, but it makes you disappointed, when you see those pictures with so bright screens.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
Mambo
Gadget fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvoi666
why the hell do they have a color photo on on of their iliad screenshots (second from the left) on the frontpage?
Why not? May be a new feature coming with one of the next software updates?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
vvoi666
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo
Why not? May be a new feature coming with one of the next software updates?
damn, you're right.
i totally forgot about the 'color display' update scheduled for later this year

a quote from their new site:
Quote:
Subscribe to any of the international newspapers and receive your copy daily on your iLiad at the press of a button.
man i would be pissed if i bought a device because of these claims and found out they were straight out lying to me.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think those pix are supposed to be taken as examples of what you can put on the iLiad, rather than actual screen shots ....

In any case, there does seem to be a case for them having gone from no marketing department whatsoever, straight to a rather ... "narrow-perspective" based marketing approach.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo
You commit a lie, a sin unfortunately, brother.
I am sympathetic to iRex, but I can not identify myself with what they are doing in this area. Sorry, I had to state this.
I would have bought the iLiad knowing that the screen is dark gray too, but it makes you disappointed, when you see those pictures with so bright screens.
Light reflected from the camera...? Btw, its like no-one here has ever heard of marketing...? Oh, and eight posts in and not one positive comment. 'Though I suppose thats about par for the course for Iliad-ers at mobileread...!

Personally I think its about time Irex improved the site, and its looking good...! Hopefully this is start of a new stage of Irex and the Illiad...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #13
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
man i would be pissed if i bought a device because of these claims and found out they were straight out lying to me.
Currently possible in 2.8...
Old 02-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
vvoi666
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Currently possible in 2.8...
right, via rss ... but that is not what they are saying.

according to them you get a 'lifelike' iliad edition delivered. pretty much a copy of the newspapers website essentially. from every newspaper in the world!

as far as i know there are only two newspapers that support that feature ... in beta ... and not for everyone to use.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #15
jęd
Evangelist

Quote:
right, via rss ... but that is not what they are saying.

according to them you get a 'lifelike' iliad edition delivered. pretty much a copy of the newspapers website essentially. from every newspaper in the world!

as far as i know there are only two newspapers that support that feature ... in beta ... and not for everyone to use.
Quote:
You can even receive digital subscriptions to international newspapers on an iLiad.
Not sure where it says you can subscribe to every newspaper... But then... Its just marketing...! (But I suppose to literal minded geeks...)