Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Avex
Avex began at the beginning.

Device: iTouch 4th gen,Nook WiFi
AC Charger.

Hai guys. I need some help.

I was thinking of buying SONY Touch PRS600 from Amazon. While bringing it into Malaysia is no problem but what I want to know is that the compatibility of the AC charger with the power voltage as Malaysia is 230/240 and outlet is Type G.. Do I need a converter and an adapter or what?
Avex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Unless there is a European version of the charger available, yes, you do. It's your typical dumb power brick and it expects 110v.

You might look to see if you can get a charger for a Sony PSP handheld game console locally. Those have been reported to work with the Sony readers, and you'd have the appropriate voltage and plug type.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I haven't seen very many chargers that were NOT rated at 100v-240v! I know that I've never had to buy any new ones because of it, and I live in countries that use both ends of the voltage spectrum!!

I HAVE had to purchase plug adapters for use in Singapore and Borneo, but if I remember correctly, Malaysia uses the same double round pole plugs as Thailand or the double parallel flat plugs used in the US or Japan (and Thailand.) In any case, to be really sure of your connection, you can buy a PSP game charge all over Malaysia, from Jahore Baru to Kota Baru, and every place in between! You can find them in most night markets being sold for less than 25 RM.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
mikegps1
mikegps1 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs600
PRS600 charger for Malaysia

In Malaysia they use - 3 large flat prongs - "British" type - BS 1363 system

You can get a good charger from Amazon (UK) for 6.99 (pounds) - I have one for my PRS600, it is compact and does the job well and it has the correct plug for Malaysia.

I've visited Malaysia over 30 times, the people are very friendly and the country has some wonderful scenery - you will enjoy your time there.

Mike
mikegps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:30 AM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegps1 View Post
I've visited Malaysia over 30 times, the people are very friendly and the country has some wonderful scenery - you will enjoy your time there.
Avex lives there.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 05:48 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Avex lives there.
So hopefully he enjoys his time...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Avex

@Worldwalker - Thanks..Guess I'll just find the Sony PSP charger then..

@Stitchawl - Outlet and plugs are British Type G. But thanks for the help too.

@Mikegps2 - Yup, that's the Type G power outlet. I'm surprise you've visited Malaysia over 30 times. You should come again and visit the Borneo side. Oh and like Worldwalker said, I am from Malaysia and from the Land Below the Wind. But then, thanks for the info and the help..

@Toxaris - I'm a "she"..hehehe..(^^,)

Well then guys. Thanks for the help and info. I think I'll get the Sony PSP charger then. Thank you again..
Old 07-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Avex. The Sony-specific 'universal charger', by the way, comes with a full range of simple plug adaptors and can be used with any power supply in the world. I think I paid about $20 for mine eighteen months ago and my Sony 505 hasn't given me the shadow of a problem since. A good charge is vital and you can't rely on the battery meter showing on your device. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Avex

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Good to have your company, Avex. The Sony-specific 'universal charger', by the way, comes with a full range of simple plug adaptors and can be used with any power supply in the world. I think I paid about $20 for mine eighteen months ago and my Sony 505 hasn't given me the shadow of a problem since. A good charge is vital and you can't rely on the battery meter showing on your device. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
Ah, thanks Neil. And also, it's good to have your company too.