Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #61
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
In future, once the experimental nature of PG .mobi and .epub offerings become more standard, I can switch to using those as input instead of the HTML versions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Just idea off top of head: Gutenberg already produce (computer generated) EPUB files. Might it be possible to 'insert' a improved CSS sheet into these EPUB files to improve their viewability? Seemed more straightforward than regenerating a whole new EPUB file from source..
I had the same idea to use the Gutenberg epub as the input to GuteBook, but since, for the time being, GuteBook can only deal with a single input file (be it .html or .epub) it was easier to use .html and then regenerate all the other ebook formats, if and when required.

To just substitute a revised/improved CSS can easily be done manually via editing the .epub (it just a .zip file) and re-saving one's changes. The Guteberg .epub's unfortunately incorporate the same underlying problems with their included .html, that is, they also need to be "edited" to remove pages numbers, insert proper pagebreaks, strip PG legalese and copyright notices, ...

In that case, starting with just the .html is simpler and more useful.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #62
locomouse
Enthusiast
locomouse doesn't litterlocomouse doesn't litterlocomouse doesn't litter

Device: ebookwise 1150
This is wonderful!

As a newbie to all things eBook, I was rather confused as to how one could create .imp files from the thousands of titles housed on Project Gutenberg. I was pretty much resigned to simply reading the books while sitting at the computer until I was enlightened to the existence of GuteBook.

With a little bit of guidance (thank you, Nick!) I'm now creating eBooks for my EBW1150 at the speed of light!

This is such an awesome program and so easy to use ... even for me.

High-fives and many kudos to you, Nick!

And, again...

Helen
locomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #63
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomouse View Post
With a little bit of guidance (thank you, Nick!) I'm now creating eBooks for my EBW1150 at the speed of light!
You're quite welcome, Helen!

As an avid ebook creator at heart, I have a queue of ebooks to read thiiiiissss looooonnnngggggg (like sooooo many here ), but there's satisfaction in knowing that if you really want to read something that has been made available by Project Gutenberg, it's just a few mouse clicks away with GuteBook. That is, if our own tireless ebook creators that upload to the Mobileread.com haven't already done so for you.

I hope you don't wear out the 'page turn' button on your EBW1150 prematurely!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #64
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
You're quite welcome, Helen!

As an avid ebook creator at heart, I have a queue of ebooks to read thiiiiissss looooonnnngggggg (like sooooo many here ), but there's satisfaction in knowing that if you really want to read something that has been made available by Project Gutenberg, it's just a few mouse clicks away with GuteBook. That is, if our own tireless ebook creators that upload to the Mobileread.com haven't already done so for you.

I hope you don't wear out the 'page turn' button on your EBW1150 prematurely!
If it wears out just turn the device around and use the other one!

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #65
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
... nevermind. I found the answer to my problem!

Laurentiu

Last edited by Laurentiu; 01-27-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #66
nrapallo

Troubleshooting: Why doesn't GuteBook find or download my requested book?

Etext-No.'s below 10,000 are sometimes problematic as many of the earlier etext no.'s don't follow the current/normal filenaming pattern of http://www.gutenberg.org/files/EXTEXTNO/EXTEXTNO-h.zip.

Let's say you've entered the number 7471 as the book listed on PG (it's a collection of short stories by P. G. Wodehouse).

But GuteBook fails to find, download and convert the file. It's nothing you've done wrong, it's just that this ebook doesn't follow the normal filename pattern and needs to be overridden by placing the following link in the Input File box: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext05/2left10.zip. Just so that you know, I got that link from the Gutenberg ebook page for Etext-No. 7471 and copying the link to the .zip text (or html) version.

Also, since that ebook is just available as text, you will need GutenMark (GUItenMark) installed and selected on the first page (see attached GUI screenshot). This ebook needs to be converted internally to html using GutenMark so that GuteBook can produce an ebook version.

Try it again, as before, but just override the Input File, in this case.

Happy Reading!

p.s. thanks go out to locomouse for your continual use and exploration of this program!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GuteBook_GUI.jpg
Views:	1427
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	46070  

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-25-2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Added link http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7471
Old 02-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #67
locomouse
Enthusiast
locomouse doesn't litterlocomouse doesn't litterlocomouse doesn't litter

Device: ebookwise 1150
Quote:
p.s. thanks go out to locomouse for your continual use and exploration of this program!
I surely do appreciate your willingness to share and teach, Nick. Your instructions open up a whole new world of books which would otherwise have remained on the 'shelves' at PG.

Plus... this is so much fun!

Many thanks for all your time and patience. You ROCK!!

Helen
locomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #68
nrapallo

Just wanted to post that when using newer versions of calibre, the GuteBook conversion program's rebuild DOS batch file requires you to edit it & prefix any line with "ebook-convert.exe" with "start /w ". Otherwise, the first time "ebook-convert.exe" is invoked is the LAST time it's run...

I've successfully used this revised code within that DOS batch file, namely:
Code:
rem Convert .htm to Sony .epub
start /w ebook-convert "28700-h\28700-h.htm" "Paul Creswick - Robin Hood.epub" --title "Robin Hood" --authors "Paul Creswick" --publisher="Project Gutenberg" --chapter "//*[name()='h2']" --output-profile=sony

rem Convert .htm to Sony .lrf
start /w ebook-convert "28700-h\28700-h.htm" "Paul Creswick - Robin Hood.lrf" --title "Robin Hood" --authors "Paul Creswick" --publisher="Project Gutenberg"

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-27-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Tags
ebook, front end, gui, gutenberg, maker, perl