Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #46
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
On some devices - Onyx for example -, upon touch drag the EPD mode changes from Normal to A2, and back to Normal upon release
I bought the Onyx T68 and it didn't do that automatically. When you scrolled you couldn't see anything until you stopped scrolling. After that and the Boox 60 which was just an ereader, I will never buy an Onyx device again.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #47
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I bought the Onyx T68 and it didn't do that automatically. When you scrolled you couldn't see anything until you stopped scrolling. After that and the Boox 60 which was just an ereader, I will never buy an Onyx device again.
The T68 came out before they implemented that feature in the firmware. I think it does now.

EPD, I basically only own Onyx devices. I never found any alternative. I will try this Boyue/Icarus and see. Certainly, I can already see that the device has compromises. But maybe in the future...
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #48
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
The T68 came out before they implemented that feature in the firmware. I think it does now.

EPD, I basically only own Onyx devices. I never found any alternative. I will try this Boyue/Icarus and see. Certainly, I can already see that the device has compromises. But maybe in the future...
It is said Remarkable sports well performance despite its old hardware, I guess cause it is not Android and its software is crafted to fullfill eink demands. Would it be difficult upscale its software to a more powerful processor?
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #49
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

That's not the only problem with the T68.

Boot loops at 50% battery
Touch accuracy was very poor
Wifi kept turning itself off even when being used
Needed semi bold fonts to be able to read
Battery would sometimes lose 5% in 5 minutes
Cell standby had high battery usage, in settings Data enabled was checked!?!
To do an update I had to remove the sd card and reboot
Device was frozen too often, sometimes you had to pull the sd card and reboot, sometimes you had to plug it in and reboot.

After all these problems would you ever buy an Onyx device again? And yes, my device had all of these problems.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #50
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
After all these problems would you ever buy an Onyx device again? And yes, my device had all of these problems.
I have an Onyx C67ML Carta 2 and I am very happy with it
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #51
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
I have an Onyx C67ML Carta 2 and I am very happy with it
I'm sure you are. What I was asking is if the first device you ordered from them had as many defects as my T68 would you have bought anything else from them. I guess they have improved since then, but I just don't trust them.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #52
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
I'm sure you are. What I was asking is if the first device you ordered from them had as many defects as my T68 would you have bought anything else from them. I guess they have improved since then, but I just don't trust them.
That's what I was saying, that I think they have improved, but I know what you mean... Too bad your first device with them wasn't that good.

Last edited by colibris79; 10-12-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:18 AM   #53
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's not the only problem with the T68.

Boot loops at 50% battery
Touch accuracy was very poor
Wifi kept turning itself off even when being used
Needed semi bold fonts to be able to read
Battery would sometimes lose 5% in 5 minutes
Cell standby had high battery usage, in settings Data enabled was checked!?!
To do an update I had to remove the sd card and reboot
Device was frozen too often, sometimes you had to pull the sd card and reboot, sometimes you had to plug it in and reboot.

I have two T68. These defects pertain to one of them. You got the one from the wrong batch.
Apart from:
-- font: that's pretty structural. I published in the Onyx forum a couple of fonts I produced and that I optimized for Office Automation use. (Is it possible, by the way, that thin rendering of fonts helps with complex ideograms?)
-- instability: never experienced it, to the best of my memory. You wrote you kept it updated?

Anyway: we have very fresh news from Hong Kong of Onyx releasing a 13.3'' device, Android 6, quad core 1.6GHz, multitouch and stylo, HDMI in, hair regrowth. We will see

The specs sheet: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...20#post3593120

Last edited by mdp; 10-13-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:27 AM   #54
colibris79
Zealot

Quote:
Anyway: we have very fresh news from Hong Kong of a 13.3'' device, Android 6, quad core 1.6GHz, multitouch and stylo, HDMI in, hair regrowth. We will see
Do you know which brand?
Old 10-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #55
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
Do you know which brand?
Clarified in the original post ; )

Onyx Boox Max Carta 2 Pro

In a few months...
Old 10-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #56
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have two T68. These defects pertain to one of them. You got the one from the wrong batch.
Apart from:
-- font: that's pretty structural. I published in the Onyx forum a couple of fonts I produced and that I optimized for Office Automation use. (Is it possible, by the way, that thin rendering of fonts helps with complex ideograms?)
-- instability: never experienced it, to the best of my memory. You wrote you kept it updated?

Anyway: we have very fresh news from Hong Kong of Onyx releasing a 13.3'' device, Android 6, quad core 1.6GHz, multitouch and stylo, HDMI in, hair regrowth. We will see

The specs sheet: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...20#post3593120
I forgot what I considered a big problem wit the T68. It wouldn't switch automatically between A2 mode and normal mode. For me that made it way to difficult to use. When scrolling through the settings in an app, you can't find what you want because you couldn't read while scrolling. Both of my Boyue tablets did it automatically.

Does this new model allow you to do that? I don't use any of the stock apps, I either install what I need from Google Play or side load. I have way too many books to try to find what I want to read without Calibre Companion.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #57
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
the T68. It wouldn't switch automatically between A2 mode and normal mode.
The Onyx firmwares do now (the T68, cannot remember, it just should).

Quote:
I don't use any of the stock apps, I either install what I need from Google Play or side load. I have way too many books to try to find what I want to read without Calibre Companion.
Can I suggest you try the new Librera from Ivan Ivanenko (AKA foobnix)? I encouraged him to implement a "Compact" visualization mode to efficiently browse the filesystem.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #58
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The Onyx firmwares do now (the T68, cannot remember, it just should).

Can I suggest you try the new Librera from Ivan Ivanenko (AKA foobnix)? I encouraged him to implement a "Compact" visualization mode to efficiently browse the filesystem.
No thanks. The T68 was actually my second Onyx. Onyx boox 60. I spent a lot of money on it, and people were posting problems with it on a Boox forum. You know what everyone was told? What do you expect from a beta device. I didn't know it was beta and neither did other posters. I would never have paid that much for a beta device.

I don't want any more devices from an incompetent company that also took advantage of people. I don't know if they are still incompetent, but I will never trust them again.

Edit: I just remembered that those with defective T68 devices had to pay shipping to return. I bought mine on Amazon so I didn't have that problem.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 10-13-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #59
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
No thanks.
What has this to do with what I wrote?

EDIT: I meant << Can I suggest that you try Librera /on your current device/ >>

Last edited by mdp; 10-13-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #60
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I don't want any more devices from [...] I will never trust them again.
After the T68 I bought three more, and I am eager to get the fourth.
Anyway, it's good to know that Boyue has polished firmware. I will try it and see if I spot differences.