Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #1
Mook4Nook
Mook4Nook began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
New ereader advise

I'm from Australia and originally had a Nook, this was brought back from the uS by a friend but it's the simple touch no lighting. I got a really good bargain on the kobo glo but I'm very unhappy with it as I'd have been lucky to use it for a total of three months in a two year period and it's alreaDy frozen beyond repair (won't reset)...hence I'm in the market for a new reader.

In Australia we only have kindle or kobo and I would prefer not to go Kovo so just wanted to ask few questions before I take the plunge and a kindle paperwhite.

1. I'd like to borrow off libraries who have ePub format, I do use calibre and have plugins, so would that mean I can use the kindle for my borrowed books?

2. When changing formats on calibre from ePub to kindle format, does the actual page and reading format change on the book? Does it have any changes to the experience of reading? Eg words smaller, dictionary doesn't work for those books etc?

Thanks for all your patience and looking forward to hearing back from you all.
Mook4Nook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think you mean 'advice."

Would you like me to change that?

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
(Moderator)
Don,
That is a correct English spelling. Note: The OP is Australian. Their spelling is all over the place.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook4Nook View Post
I'm from Australia and originally had a Nook, this was brought back from the uS by a friend but it's the simple touch no lighting. I got a really good bargain on the kobo glo but I'm very unhappy with it as I'd have been lucky to use it for a total of three months in a two year period and it's alreaDy frozen beyond repair (won't reset)...hence I'm in the market for a new reader.

In Australia we only have kindle or kobo and I would prefer not to go Kovo so just wanted to ask few questions before I take the plunge and a kindle paperwhite.

1. I'd like to borrow off libraries who have ePub format, I do use calibre and have plugins, so would that mean I can use the kindle for my borrowed books?

2. When changing formats on calibre from ePub to kindle format, does the actual page and reading format change on the book? Does it have any changes to the experience of reading? Eg words smaller, dictionary doesn't work for those books etc?

Thanks for all your patience and looking forward to hearing back from you all.
I don't think the words would be smaller and the dictionary works fine on all books.

Sideloaded books just don't have all the advanced features like hyphenation and X-ray.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
That is a correct English spelling. Note: The OP is Australian. Their spelling is all over the place.
Not true. We just acknowledge you Americans can't spell and adjust our language appropriately. We like to keep it simple for you
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Not true. We just acknowledge you Americans can't spell and adjust our language appropriately. We like to keep it simple for you
As a Canadian I'll just nod knowingly and agree with that!
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
In that case, I guess advice is misspelled.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I watched a documentary series about the history of the English Language a few years ago from the BBC, "The Adventure of the English Language" by Melvyn Bragg in which he explained that in the past 500 years the place where English has changed the least is in the southern USA. Given that it might be said that our spelling and pronunciation is more correct than anyone else's.

Of course he also mentioned that the majority of English speakers in the world today live in India so if we took a vote I guess it would be the way they spell and pronounce.

My spelling has always been terrible but I'm just narcissistic enough to think I'm always right so those of you who spell correctly might want change your ways.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I watched a documentary series about the history of the English Language a few years ago from the BBC, "The Adventure of the English Language" by Melvyn Bragg in which he explained that in the past 500 years the place where English has changed the least is in the southern USA. Given that it might be said that our spelling and pronunciation is more correct than anyone else's.

Of course he also mentioned that the majority of English speakers in the world today live in India so if we took a vote I guess it would be the way they spell and pronounce.

My spelling has always been terrible but I'm just narcissistic enough to think I'm always right so those of you who spell correctly might want change your ways.

Barry
Sellcheek is my best fiend.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:22 AM   #10
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
I don't know how borrowing ebooks works in Australia, but to convert from epub to a Kindle format would mean stripping drm. I fear that would be illegal and technically difficult. If all you can get is epubs from your libraries, you'd probably be better off getting an ereader that is compatible with your library system.

Quote:
No problem converting epub to a kindle format.

The paperwhite is a good device, but if it doesn't work with your library system, it might not be appropriate.

I'm not mad about Kobos, and I prefer the Kindle hardware over Kobo, but I prefer Kobo's support of epubs, etc. In your shoes, I'd probably get the cheapest Kobo with a front-light I could find. I don't care about super-duper hi-res screens.

Perhaps someone else familiar with the Australian library system could chime in.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:23 AM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Regarding the various uses of English, I am British English, and therefore more correct than all of you.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #12
Mook4Nook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
(Moderator)
Thanks for your ADVISE regarding the thread, Moderator 😉
Old 11-10-2017, 06:49 AM   #13
Mook4Nook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post

No problem converting epub to a kindle format.

The paperwhite is a good device, but if it doesn't work with your library system, it might not be appropriate..
Thanks for the only relevant advise I've received in this thread
Old 11-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks for the only relevant advise I've received in this thread
I can say I didn't make any suggestions because you eliminated the only possibility in your first post. Your requirements are "Oz, library, epub". The only answer is "Kobo". You have said no to that, so, I don't have a suggestion. And I don't use Kindles, so I'll leave the answer to the other question to those who do.

As for your Kobo Glo, what exactly is wrong and what have you done to get it going? Unless it has a broken screen, it's probably a matter of doing a factory reset properly, or at worst, putting a new image on the internal SD card. But, that's probably better as post in the Kobo forum.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Sellcheek is my best fiend.
So I see.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kindle vs kobo, kobo