Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Coleccionista
Connoisseur
Coleccionista began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Question Total Number of Books in Series

I am still fixed in the idea of "saving" my metadata changes done inside iTunes to a more standard format (moving from *.plist to *.opf)

Things are progressing (god bless XSLT) but I cannot find the equivalent of the trackcount item in calibre.

In iTunes I use track num , track count to display the order of books in a series and the total number of books in the series such as

Quote:
Book A 1 of 10
Book B 2 of 10
I know that calibre has the tag:
Quote:
<opf:meta name="calibre:series_index" content="1.0"/>
which matches the "tracknumber" (1,2) but I cannot find what tag matches the total number of books that make up the series.

I hope I make myself clear , anyone knows or should I discard this info (I find it quite useful to know that I am missing certain books such as when your latest book of a serie is "4 of 6")
Coleccionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The problem is that series can have holes. For example, I might have books 1, 13, and 27 of some series that has 30 books available. The total number of books is 3, the highest series is 27, and the theoretical highest is 30. Which of these numbers do you want?

Calibre computes the first two numbers on demand, the total when it counts members of a series for the tag browser, and the highest when a new book is added to the series. To my knowledge, neither number is stored in an OPF. The third number is not kept. One reason is that it changes as authors add to the series, something that does not happen with an album.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Coleccionista
Connoisseur
Coleccionista began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Hi.

I want to set the "theoretical" highest, the series total is not about the books I have but abouts the books that form the series.

So Harry Potter has 7 books, if I have 1, 4 and 5 I still want them to appear as 1 of 7, 4 of 7 and 5 of 7.
Of course calibre cannot compute that number but I already organized most of my books in series (albums) in iTunes and manually entered the "Total Tracks" for the albums.
Now I want to transport this info in a way that calibre will understand and hopefully even carry to readers [I just ordered a Kindle 3, e-Ink finally has grown on me]

I am in the process of writing the PLIST -> "Sane" XML -> OPF script converter and learning for past mistakes I want to set things right and not have to redo work again.
Coleccionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
This post is from a while ago, but is it possible to have the series "theoretical highest" total number of books? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Book A 1 of 10
Book B 2 of 10

And also if its a boxset, some way of setting series as complete and puting the total number of books...

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
This post is from a while ago, but is it possible to have the series "theoretical highest" total number of books? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Book A 1 of 10
Book B 2 of 10

And also if its a boxset, some way of setting series as complete and puting the total number of books...

Inukami
Calibre has no knowledge about other books
The Quality check Plugin can build a list of Missing books (NUMBER gaps between first and last found)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote